• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Just something quick before I'm off to the wars...

A very detail-oriented 3RR Fact Checker who wishes to remain anonymous PM'd me and noted that on the recent physical-township map, I had several township names repeated at the lower center.  I've fixed that...

...and will republish the entire corrected map in the 3RR Atlas shortly.

Thank you very much for catching me on this stuff, folks.  I'm flattered to know that there are those who care as much about 3RR detail as I do.

sebes, my friend- I don't remember without checking if that map was in .gif format.  Sometimes Internet Explorer blocks them- my desktop does, and I have to use Firefox to view some pages as a result.

Back this evening.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

freedo50

Ah, you see that might be where the problem is, try downloading Mozilla Firefox [linkie], this is a better browser than IE anyway IMHO.

Fred

EDIT: David got there before me  &sly.

sebes

Thanks guys - downloaded that Firefox, and got the map!

David : the details on that map are awesome.

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

dedgren

Don't spend your time at 3RR tonight...

Our friend and 3RR collaborator John (Darmok) posted his last official update in Anduin Valley Revisited [linkie] today.  AVR, imho, is the best active CJ today.  It, along with jeronij's Sculpting Columbia River, inspired me to start 3RR, and has been a continuing source of inspiration ever since.

I'd planned to do a tribute post here, but I'm inadequate for the task.  John deserves better than I can do- if you'll indulge me, go over, read his last post (and more, if you have the time- its so well worth it) and leave John whatever comment you feel is right.  Even if you just let him know you were there, it'll mean a lot.  I'd love to see him log on to 100 new posts sometime tomorrow.

Thanks, and I'll have something new here for you shortly.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

threestooges

I'll second David's statements. I have been following John's (Darmok's) CJ for what seems like over a year now, and it is a true work of art. There aren't really words to express how he has influenced the development of the game, but his CJ is a great source of information, tutorials, and general SC4 inspiration. So please, as David suggested, go look at the last post (at least) and leave a comment if you feel... it would be a great thing to see a 100 post jump like David suggested.

Pat

A small blast from the past....

David i was going around today at ST and after you announced about AVR i just had to stop in.... WOW, all i got to say is please, if you can help it never ever end 3RR its a home to me and i would just cry if the town went cold...  AVR i was a lurker and commented only every now and then.... I've been inspired by both you and John...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

I used to frequent AVR myself, and I must say that it was truly a masterpiece...Not unlike a certain MD region that has "three rivers" in the title. Sad to see that it's going to be John's final update, but after to paging through last night, I must say it was a heck of a ride!

And that old 3RR shot that pat dusted off is a blast from the past, too! I knew there was a reason I played SC4!

Yoman

Thanks for the heads up :), probably would've missed the final updated and regretted it :(

dedgren

Just a Monday morning teaser from the map lab...

I'm using a full-function 30 day evaluation copy of Paint Shop Pro X2, and I am pretty pleased.  The learning curve has been pretty much non-existent- mostly just figuring my way around the cosmetic changes made over four versions.  I don't know, btw, if it's the new lugtop, Windows Vista, or changes from PSP8 to X2, but I'm not running out of memory with my 4096x4096 pixel 23 layer map.  I could not save it starting mid-September on the desktop (it would error out mid-save with a "no more memory" message regardless of what I would do) so I had reluctantly started several variants.  I've now got all the changes and corrections back on a single map, and have been able to add airfields and parks to boot.  Life is good.

You'll notice on the teaser that I've added a spur freeway, F-437, to serve Pineshore International.  The main line of the DW&W now appears as well.

...note that this is a "kitchen-sink" most all layers visible shot, and a final product would look far less cluttered...

Just a layer to pick up the last labels, and maybe one more later for road distances, and the 3RR Atlas will be in production.

Later.

David

p.s.Thanks to everyone who took a few minutes to head over and visit AVR.  I'm sure that meant a lot to John (Darmok)- I know it did to me. -DE
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

tkirch

&apls

Your maps are simply amazing.  I have no idea how you do it but it is awe inspiring.  David each and every time in here is just a trip.

thundercrack83

Glad to hear the new machine is working out well for you, my friend! The new PSP looks pretty good, too, actually. Did you get a price on it? I know Photoshop is a couple hundred dollars (US), but I think PSP is cheaper.

Oh, and by the way, that map...Outstanding.

Jmouse

Awesome work on the map, as usual, and glad to hear you got the computer issues ironed out. The monsters should be seen and not heard anyway.

Until next time...
Joan

BigSlark

Fantastic map, David. I'm glad to see that the 3RR Geologic Survey Mapping Division and DOT Roadway Design are hard at work.

Cheers,
Kevin

Pat

David this is sooooooo stunning and wonderful news to see that you are lovin it lol.....  cant wait to see what more you send out from the map lab... At this rate i think you can remap an or finish mapping projects.... Ohhh heck even make some wonderful maps for release for NHP  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

flame1396

The maps are great. I think 3RR holds the world record for "Most Documented Fictional Landmass"
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

dedgren

Here's a glimpse of a side project I started a bit ago...

[tabular type=1]
[row] [head colspan=3]
Start
[/head] [/row]
[row] [data][/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Independence
U. S. Border
International Falls, MN
[/data][/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]
South
[/data] [data]U. S. Border
Duluth, MN
[/data][/row]
[row] [head colspan=3]
North - North
[/head] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]
North
[/data] [data]Pineshore[/data] [/row]
[row] [head colspan=3]
North
[/head] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Marius Corners
U. S. Border
[/data] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Wheaton
U. S. Border
[/data] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Ellsworth
U. S. Border
[/data] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Ellsworth[/data] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Walnut Grove[/data] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Iona
Boissevain
Oxbow
[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]
East
[/data] [data]Pineshore[/data][/row]
[row] [head colspan=3]
West - North
[/head] [/row]
[row] [data]
[/data] [data]
West
[/data] [data]Highland
U. S. Border
Northern MN
[/data] [/row]
[row] [head colspan=3]
North
[/head] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Kerrick
Highland
[/data] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Montgomery
Travis
[/data] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Lakeview
Travis
[/data] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Lakeview
Fox Rapids
Carson Bluff
[/data] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Brooks Ferry
Fox Rapids
Carson Bluff
[/data] [/row]
[row][data]
[/data] [data]
[/data] [data]Brooks Ferry
Canadian Border
Winnipeg, MB
[/data] [/row]
[row] [head colspan=3]
End
[/head] [/row]
[/tabular]

I putz at it when I'm trying to think of something else, 'cos the work involved is kind of mindless.

If someone would like to put these together for the other 3RR freeways, shoot me a PM or note that in a post.

I'll probably finish F-637 this evening, then off to bed.

UPDATE (10-16-07 at about 8:30 a.m. AST (GMT-9)):  Noop.  Finished this up before heading off to work.  I'll be getting Dustin a few of the little road markers over the next few days so he can get started.  The issue of international borders and customs gets addressed next.

Later

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

thundercrack83

Hey, David!

If you send me the signs and the information, I'll put them together into the tables for you. Not a problem at all! Just let me know!

Dustin

EDITLooks like we have a victi, er... volunteer.  Thanks, Dustin. -DE

Shadow Assassin

QuoteI know Photoshop is a couple hundred dollars (US), but I think PSP is cheaper.

Photoshop is US$199 in the US, as far as I know ($259 by itself here, $1099 for the everything and the kitchen sink edition). Probably about US$90 for PSP, because it's a mid-range product. It sells here for A$125.

I look forward to seeing how your map shapes out. By the way, you should try cheating a little with the map so it looks more real-world-ish. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Pat

David those road signs are great and i bet if you shoot them here
and if Burges is upto it, these wonderful signs can go ingame???

Ryan B.

If y'all want to do something like that, then I'm definitely up to getting 'em in-game.  Good work . . . . now get back to work so I can get crackin'! 

;) :P