• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob60

Quote from: Driftmaster07 on July 08, 2009, 04:24:18 PM
Hey if those are new RHW - 2 Textures is it really any different than the Maxis road? I like the old textures.

I'm gonna have to agree with this. Most RHW-2s around here (you know what I mean :P) have dashed lines.

Of course around hills and near turns and whatever one/both of the sides will turn solid. You know what I mean, but double solid lines 100% of the time just doesn't look realistic. I'd rather have it the way it currently is. I like the looks of everything else though, especially the end of loop connectors (or for me, transferring to AVE or Maxis HW) and DTP's piece.
Click here if you want to play SimCity 4 in Linux :)
Click here if you want to try Linux :)

Tarkus

Thanks for the kind words, guys.  And as you may know now, DTP's officially a NAMite now. ;)

To answer a few questions:

Quote from: wes.janson on July 07, 2009, 01:46:30 PM
Is that a puzzle piece that hides the loop connector?

Yes, that's exactly it.  It also eliminates the difficulty of building Loop Connectors on slopes, which is tricky if you've got a restrictive slope mod installed.

Quote from: z on July 07, 2009, 01:49:17 PM
Those original diagonal RHW crossings look just like what the game does with diagonal crossings of parallel subway lines that are running right next to each other.  Is there any chance that your work could be applied to cleaning that up as well?

Yes, absolutely--thanks for bringing that up.  The coding is very similar, and it's just a matter of changing a few IIDs.  Once I've got the RHW stuff sorted out, I plan on copying it to other networks.

Quote from: Driftmaster07 on July 08, 2009, 04:24:18 PM
Hey if those are new RHW - 2 Textures is it really any different than the Maxis road? I like the old textures.

Quote from: doorknob60 on July 08, 2009, 10:59:30 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with this. Most RHW-2s around here (you know what I mean :P) have dashed lines.

First off, doorknob60, serious props for using US-97, my all-time favorite highway.  :)

As far as the striping on the RHW-2 goes, there will actually be some options.  You may remember my pic I showed awhile ago with the three different striping patterns on the RHW-2.  I'll have more to say on that soon.

riiga, thanks for the texture, too--that's a great idea for a piece.  I may see about running up a matching US version of it. 

And joelyboy911, that's an interesting concept there--I've been considering making some sort of a "weaving/deceleration approach" piece for awhile now, too, which I'm guessing is similar to what you're talking about?

I'll be back with more soon.  There's some interesting stuff around the corner . . .

-Alex

joelyboy911

Yes. Since I live in a small city in a small country my experience of highways is minimal, so I dont know exactly what you mean by "weaving/deceleration approach", but I like using roundabouts as intersections, and the avenue and road ones, on top of having non-matching textures, also seem to small in diameter to me, and I never liked the layout of the lines very much on the ave one, but this is not the place to discuss these.

Perhaps this is what you mean already, but another good piece would be RHW-2/road intersections where there are turning lanes for traffic making a left (LHD) turn. IE they don't have to stop and make an abrupt 90 degree turn. We also have something interesting here in kiwiland which goes like this: And yes, the number 1 road in the land is a single carriageway at this point.

1. A long section of median strip for deceleration/queueing-it continues well beyond the threshold of the image.
2. Turning lane
3. An accelleration strip in the middle of the road for vehicles to use for merging into the stream of traffic.

-Note also the wide curves at the entrance to State Highway 46.

This is a large roundabout on State Highway 50A

Notice how wide all the curves are.

Sorry for the bad Google Earth screenies.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

carkid1998

3 pattern options?? I don't remember that!
Sendona... Coming soon!

nerdly_dood

It wasn't mentioned specifically (not that i remember) but he's shown us screenshots of a RHW-2 with the standard American texture set with a dashed centerline, a double solid centerline and a double dashed/solid centerline. (These are used in the USA and other countries to indicate where on 2-lane roads overtaking is allowed, restricted to one side of the road, or prohibited entirely)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

doorknob60

Quote from: Tarkus on July 09, 2009, 03:04:51 AM
First off, doorknob60, serious props for using US-97, my all-time favorite highway.  :)

As far as the striping on the RHW-2 goes, there will actually be some options.  You may remember my pic I showed awhile ago with the three different striping patterns on the RHW-2.  I'll have more to say on that soon.
Nice, not sure if I remember that (probably seen it, just forgot), but sounds good :) Also I couldn't help using US-97 because I live like a mile away from it :P

packerfan386

Hey, how do you get the RHW6/8/10 to go diagonal

doorknob60

Quote from: packerfan386 on July 09, 2009, 04:20:46 PM
Hey, how do you get the RHW6/8/10 to go diagonal

You have to use puzzle pieces for it to work right (I know that from experience). They're in the menu somewhere. Not sure what it's called, but it's there (in the Highway menu).

KoV Liberty

Quote from: doorknob60 on July 09, 2009, 05:08:30 PM
Not sure what it's called, but it's there (in the Highway menu).

Its under RHW curve puzzle peices. They cannot yet go 90 degrees. Only 45 degrees, like this...

_______
           \
            \
             \__________

Or something like that.

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

woodb3kmaster

Also, the RHW-10 can't go diagonal in v3.2, although that might change when v4.0 is released (perhaps Alex can confirm?).

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

j-dub

(making an estimated guess here) Considering we just saw double yellow lines, your not going to tell me that you figured out how to do multiple RHW-2 dragged variations are you? That would be awesome if it could be done. At first double yellow lines were just puzzle pieces, but it looks like there are so many double yellow lined RHW's there. The stripped lined RHW you could pass other cars in UDI that way, but if those ended up being in pieces instead, I don't know if that would still be possible, where as double yellow lined piece shouldn't allow passing other cars in the opposing lane.

doorknob60

This is extremely off topic, but I'm excited :) And it has a RHW in it, so I don't think it's too off topic. Say hello to my very first ever custom SC4 content :)

It's not perfect (no transparent base, looks a little weird at the I-1 sign), but it's good enough, and now hopefully my stupid sims won't get lost.

Nexis4Jersey

creative sign there doorknob, maybe in the future u can release a basic sign pack RHW users &apls

jmvl

Quote from: riiga on July 04, 2009, 01:32:18 PM
Hello!

I've made a texture for a RHW-2 to MIS sidesplit, however, I'm not very good in puzzle piece making.

Here is the texture (euro):

Fell free to use it, and if someone wants the PSD file, tell me and I'll upload it!  ;)

- riiga
                                     ______
EDIT: The dimensions are: |  |  |  |
                                        |_|

Riiga, I got a little surprise for you...  :)

j-dub

Well Doorknob, I got some better news, in the future you will be able to put signs like that closer to the RHW6, because there will be revision on that network.

carkid1998

OOOooh! A revision eh? Does it make the RHW-6 1 tile wide?
Sendona... Coming soon!

riiga

Quote from: jmvl on July 10, 2009, 08:19:11 AM
Riiga, I got a little surprise for you...  :)

Nice work!  :thumbsup: &apls

However, it looks like I made the texture at the MIS a little bit too wide. Do you want me to correct it, or will you do it yourself?

:)

- riiga

Tilarium

Wow, I stop reading for awhile and come back to see so much awsome work being done.  DTP, that piece is amazing!  I can't wait to get it and use it in my cities.  Would it be possible to also do an raised version of it aswell?  Picturing in my mind an raised highway with the center line then lowering down with Riiga's awsome split to MIS at the end on grown level.... to awsome for words!

nerdly_dood

Quote from: carkid1998 on July 10, 2009, 09:03:15 AM
OOOooh! A revision eh? Does it make the RHW-6 1 tile wide?

My impression is that the lanes would be shifted out from the median, so that while still being 2 tiles to a side, more of each tile would be used by the highway, with less being wasted space on the outer tile.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

JoeST

Quote from: nerdly_dood on July 10, 2009, 11:13:12 AM
My impression is that the lanes would be shifted out from the median, so that while still being 2 tiles to a side, more of each tile would be used by the highway, with less being wasted space on the outer tile.
would that not make it harder to link to RHW4 and the like, surely the current system should be left in too :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms