• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Prop/Model DB tool

Started by deadwoods, January 19, 2011, 10:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadwoods

I'm interested in a tool that could build a searchable DB of all props AND building models in my Plugins folder.

Going back 7 years any lot builder had a pretty good understanding of what was in the supplied files from a model/prop perspective (e.g. LotCarCluster...). Then we got the BAT and there was an explosion of great props, and building models, to choose from. When I was active, I knew what was in the latest MJB, D66 or SC (etc. etc.) prop pack. Coming back after a break I find there are tens of thousands of props floating around; a lot makers delight. I've had a look at the DVD and it alone has 223 BSC prop files totalling over 1G (and god knows how many individual props). But the challenge is to know what's available and where it is.

I know we have the lot editor, but it's not feasible to go through each prop and put it on a lot. I know there's Serkanner's BSC SeeThemOl tool, but it has a very limited set of props listed. We also have the PIM-X which should show all lots/models, but it won't even load up all props let alone all the building models on my old XP system (I think it might struggle loading up all of my plugins even on the latest systems, and I doubt work would loan me a mainframe for it).

So here is my wishlist/set of requirements:

• A tool to do a batch analysis of every prop and building model in My Docs & Prog Files Plugins and load them into some form of datastore/db,
  • The load process to pull in as much info about the prop/building model including a pic (zoom5 view?), details from the exemplar like size & name, prop family membership, time-of-day settings, night model, etc., and the filename the file came from. I know much of this info won't be available for building models.
  • A means to enrich the data through lookup tables (like adding author based on known strings in the file name, SG = simgoober, so any prop from a file with SG_ must have been created by simgoober).
  • An interface to go view the contents of the datastore/db.
  • The ability to view the models in a linear fashion (just scroll through them) or to filter by size (e.g. only props smaller that 16x16 for a single tile), author, .dat filename, prop/model name, and substrings of the prop/model name (e.g. "tank" will search for all props where tank (case-insensitive) appears).

I realise this is a big ask, but it could be a boon to the community.

Of course if there's something out there that provides some or all of this functionality, and I've missed it, please point me to it and call me an idiot. ;D
David, aka deadwoods

nekseb

I join in  :D.

If there is such a tool - point also to me and call me an idiot.

Because of less time due RL I have rarely time to play SC4  :'( . If I have time, most time I spend for searching specially lots, but I find most nothing. So I try to make my own, but then I search again for the props I need. And at the end I decided now to start BATing...

I'm afraid that till I finished my frist BAT-Prop I found meanwhile the prop I start bating...

Such Database / Tool will save much time!
I don't need to know everything, I only need to know someone who knows!

letum aut libertas

Yild

I know... this thread is almost 2 years old... ;)

Is there still demand for such tool ?
I don't guarantee anything... I'm just asking if such endeavour is worth the time invested in...
DAMN Manager download: at LEX at STEX
DAMN Manager support thread: at SC4Dev

catty

Something that did everything in deadwoods wish list would be great, in the meantime we do have the "The Prop & Texture Photo Catalog"

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13364.0

and I am working on a website with the aim of providing a master catalog of all the plugins (I don't think I'll ever finish it, but hopefully over time it might prove useful)

http://citybuilders.co.nz/index.php/gallery

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Yild

hello from Poland... It's me again  ;D

I want to show you what I am currently working on...

It's a draft, at model tab there will be something like this:

Model preview (atm model without textures loaded)

Yild

Some progress...

Now I must decide which exemplar properties store in the DB, there are over 1300 properties that can be used in props... atm program scan for properties mentioned in Deadwoods post (not all coz I'm not a lot creator so I must deduct which property do what).

Then I can start to create search/filtering tool...

There are some other things to consider, what if someone will scan same file twice, delete previous entries, update them, allow to store duplicates (atm in database are stored files md5 hashes an file size values to check if we scan same files...).

vortext

Well, since I can't say anything usefull with regard to md5 hashes and what not, I'll just say this looks like an interesting project.  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

jmyers2043

This could be useful. If I understand correctly, the program will scan files in my plugin folder, create an icon image, will sort by name of prop or file, and I can then browse through the pictures. Yes, the ability to choose efficient prop packs when making new lots would be very handy.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Yild

Actually Jim this would not be as simplest as you said...

My idea was to create a db in which exemplars info would be stored and SQL could be used to filter exemplars by its properties (this already works in my tool).
In addition, in db are stored information about plugin files (i.e where to find exemplar/model/texture) - only file locations and TGI identifiers.

But ATM I hit a wall - performance wall.

SC original lots are divided into several files: simcity_1 to 5, first one stores exemplars (props,buildings/flora/other) and some 3D models, others store additional 3D models and textures for these models
(and there can be over 5 * 4 * 2 textures for every model - 5 zoom levels, 4 sides, and day/night, and then each model can be divided in "n" segments"...)

Now, if I only store information where certain prop contains its model and texture loading "big" lot is time consuming. Program needs to find and load model entry, then from this model info we get what textures we need to load then find them in different file and then load (plugin dependencies files).

My idea was to actually visualize 3D model, with all its features (S, W, N, E, day/night and 1-5 zoom level)... and be able to filter exemplars by their properties.

Did I overkill ? I was going to create tool that deadwood "wanted", and now I have a second thought.()sad()

BTW atm info from SC installation folder (over 9000 exemplars) creates database file size near 120MB. And that's just the beginning...

Any thoughts ?

NCGAIO

Quote from: jmyers2043 on January 04, 2013, 10:13:00 AM
Yes, the ability to choose efficient prop packs when making new lots would be very handy.

Just to remember that in addition to Sim...dat 1-5 there are the props in Ep1.dat also ok!

continue ..