• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nostalgy - Show us your old stuff, how you used to build...

Started by Rayden, February 25, 2007, 04:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayden

Today, looking through all my old cds, I found a old backup of SC4 and this region I was doing then, 1,2 years ago. I still had this pics in the Albuns folder, and some others that I'l be showing them later. I haven't tried to load the game, and don't even know if it will load at all. If it does, a lot of brown boxes will appear for sure, but, I'm willing to most likely take over on rebuilding it one of these days ;) Here is the pics:

This is how my mosaics looked like  &ops

Let's have it guys, open your chests and see if you can find that old albums.  ;D

Masochist

Rayden:  Ahh...is it at least kind of sad that some of your old stuff looks better than some of my new stuff :-[?

I think I've shown some of my crappy stuff here before.  But just in case, here's some stuff of mine that's pre-NAM, pre-Rush Hour, pre-Simtropolis, pre-basically everything that makes this game enjoyable now (the pictures, however, were taken recently, hence the starry backgrounds and the street-end cul-de-sacs).  This is me just starting out.  I mean, this stuff is so retro that grids were still in fashion back then ;).

Facing west:

Facing south:

A nice little beach:

And another one, Concorde.

Facing south:

Closer:

Green grid (still south):

Worst suburb ever! (facing west):

There...that's my blast from the past.
(Under Construction)

Rayden

I know what you mean. It's really an oldie, I can't even spot any custom content that I can remember. Now those cities really look so awful, and back them it was ok, at least for a while. The main reason I stop playing this game for a long period (about 2,5 years) was because of the lack of content. And what it made me going on with the game until I stopped, it was that goal I set my mind on, reaching one million people on a single big city. I had it done in SC3000 and I did again in SC4. Once I reach that goal, I got fed up with the game and had it uninstalled. Until last year in January when I decided to come back after a short visit to Simtropolis and it's STEX. It was extraordinary how much custom content has been made for this game, and I didn't know that for so long.

bat

threestooges

I found an old region after looking at this thread. I realized I had no photos of it (must've been before I stumbled on this or even ST). As far as I have seen there are no custom buildings (99% sure it is all Maxis) and the only reason there is a terrain mod visible is due to the fact I reloaded it to take the pictures (it had the basic game texture before, and also the regular grey streets).

This thread is a good idea as it shows the progress made not only by players, but also of the resources available to us.

bat

meinhosen

Golden oldies, sweet.  Thanks for the great idea, Rayden!

Let's break out the memories...  :P

Ahh, my very first region...I built this region for darn near 3 straight months (I was bored before I went to basic training)

You know, come to think of it, I don't think much has changed besides my taste in plugins...  ;D
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

bat

That is looking beautiful, meinhosen! Wonderful pictures and fantastic work! :thumbsup:

Zaphod

wow, I wish I still had some of my old pre RH cities, theyve been deleted forever now

Hah sweet I see baco's walmart

what the heck is up with that bat anyways? its not locked but there is no pic and download link leads to a glitched version of the ST homepage :P
War Kittens !?

cammo2003

Ahh, yes, The "old" city of Maynard. My first city with a gridded (and pretty much only!) downtown.

You can see I've sorta started to "modernise" the CBD area... I've plopped a few newer BATs. It is, though, still largely original.

I've plopped one new BAT and culled a few old lots out here (mainly PEGs random seasonal trees, which I haven't downloaded to this computer).

Suburb of Eastwick:

And, finally (below) a region view (click to enlarge). It's a wee bit "ugly" due to JPEG compression, but you get the idea.

Click to enlarge

iamgoingtoeatyou

Here are some of my pictures from about 2 years ago (I warn you, you may want to shield your eyes)

Sorry that they're pngs.

Also, I've redone some of my mosaics a few times, here's one area before and after shots.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The first mosaic isn't really realistic, with many buildings and streets out of their place. The newer one is more realistic in terms of street placement, the choice of buildings, and the avenues .

EDIT : Before anyone asks, the avenues were photoshopped in the second one.

Dark_Jedi06

From my first CJ, the Imperial Kaiser of the Rhineland:

My second CJ, the Seljuk Dynasty:

My third CJ, the Republic of Rauheim:

And from my most recent MD, Domena Lorella:

Sadly I have nothing from my very, very first journal, but that may be a good thing. :D
...this space to be filled soon...

mightygoose

i remember rhineland, from my lurking days.... memories ..
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

LoneRanger

Great Idea Rayden.  :thumbsup:

I recently stumbled on some work I did back in march 2004.  :D
The plugins folder was a massive 800kb!  :o

I continued playing there for a week now but still have the region back-upped as it was in 2004.  :)

bat

Wonderful work on that old stuff, @ all! Great work! :thumbsup:

Nardo69

I started a similar thread with a different, more provocative title on ST but except me no one posted ...

Some (not so) good old stuff from my Pre-Urland Pre-Digby Days days  - must've been 2003/2004. (I made these pics by loading the old maps with my current plugin folder)

Be aware that they might hurt your eyes!  $%#Ninj2

sEAhAwk fAn121

Well, you may want to shield your eyes haha!  :D

First CJ, Sydney... ugh :P

Suudendam... my try at a Dutch City... I think it may be insulting...

Hong Tain... also very bad. :P

Medowlark Falls, getting better...

Thats all the pics I have... have cleaned out the photobucket accont many times...

Oh... and the Seahawk Corp. is not responsible for the burning sensation in the eyes these pictures may cause...

pilotdaryl

YYYEEEOW!!! IT BURNS!!!  :o ;D
-----
Warning: Not-so-realistic airports!!!  Thanks to these golden oldies, I am now wearing the same glasses La Forge was wearing in Star Trek TNG! $%Grinno$%
Nicholson International Airport

These are both of terminal 1

Terminal 2

Terminal 3

Ooh... getting creative

--

Mostly maintenance areas

A nearby, smaller airport

Not SimCity, but this was my first 'photoshopped image' :D

Finally, a city!
That was big...... ;)

bat

Great work on your old stuff there, @ all! Wonderful old pictures!

sebes

Seahawk: I am still recovering from eye-burning after I saw your pictures lastweek $%Grinno$%:   The dutch city attempt is sweet though... I bet it took you hours to get the canals so traight and the embankments plopped  ;)

Pilotdaryl: your creativeness building airports never stops to amaze me  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN