• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Critique this Picture....

Started by rooker1, November 13, 2008, 04:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

Travis.... ??? very dark picture.  I like the night pictures but when they are this dark it's hard to make out anything.  You took the time to put the picture in a frame, so with that said I give this picture a 7/10, mostly based on personal taste.

Lilojame, Very nice border and the title is a nice touch.  The picture itself is very good.  The green rocks in the stream/waterfall/rapids is a good amount and not really over done, although the group of large boulders could be less.  I wish there was some more blue plopable water showing through instead of just the waterfall effect.  The cloudy mist in the air is very well done.
I'll give this picture an 8/10.

Robin  &apls
Call me Robin, please.

rooker1

Here is another one from me, what do you think?

Robin  ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

Sheep49

Let me take a honest look at those three pictures...

Travis: The darkness of this picture is really surprising. I wasn't ready to see that dark pic :D  OK, generally good night shot. Apart from being too dark, you said that we can see red, white and blue lights. I see red, I see blue... But I can't seem to find definite blue anywhere in your picture. Maybe I shall go to the optician $%Grinno$% Anyway, I would suggest making the frame wider than it is now ;) I'll give that pic a rating 7,5/10

Lilojame
: Far better than your last shot in my opinion. You've made a right choice using that terrain/rock textures. The first thing that bothers me are those green things in the middle of waterfall. Are those trees? If so, it's not that realistic, 'cause trees there wouldn't be so green. Too much water y'know $%Grinno$% Still, trees anywhere beside are really fitting and look gorgeus. Overall, I give this pic 8,5/10 ;)

Robin: First thing that looks really strange are those turning lines. Why? Let's take the closer look: You're using SFBT Euro Road Texture Mod, right? Then why would the turning lines on the left of the church be yellow? Looks strange to say the least. Also, if you connect that 'LE street' on the cementery on one side, you should connect it with the road on the other side too. Shadows look pretty wacky too there, but I don't think if you can do anything about it. And that white, tall building on the far left is also the source of minus points for me. Just not fits in its neighbourhood. Rating: 6/10

See you later
Piotr :thumbsup:

EDIT: I'm anxious about what you're going to say about that one...
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

Lilojame

Thanks Robin! Noted down for my next waterfall-creations.
As for your last picture: The things that bother the eyes was already explained by Sheep49. I would say that there is also a lot of "better looking" trees out there but as far I know you didnt had the choice there. Also the picture looks a bit to sharp to me but I am not sure if it was as that when you took it or did you ps-ed to be such. The cementary itself tho looks good with those walls around it. This time I give you 7/10.

Thanks Sheep49, they actualy arent trees there but the plopable water flora (by sorchin if I am not mistaken right now).
As for you picture: I like the vivid colors of the picture. What I do find wrong is mixing the "fall" trees with "spring/summer" ones. It just doesnt looks natural in my opinion. At the right bottom corner there is a house with grey "drive in" wich I now what it is but on other hand it pops out and looks a bit strange since it is slightly 2 clean shade of gray but. In overal impression I give you 7.5/10

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

Metropolpitan

Rooker1/Robin: Really interesting picture! I especially like that small gate leading to the cemetery, a nice touch.
There's just a few things that I'm picky about. Like Sheep49 said, the white and yellow lines contrast and don't go. Also, it's very crisp. A picture, like this, at least for me, should be a little bit softer maybe, but that's just me. And finally, that empty space at the top right kinda bothers me, but it's not a huge problem. Overall I really like the picture, and love how you used the Scenic Dirve kit and Cemetery kit together behind the church, very realistic.
8/10
Sheep49: Nice picture! I like the way the homes were built the way they are. Adds some diversity to a nice picture. I also like the vividty of the colors and the brightness. The only few things I don't like is that commercial building which seems out of place, and the number of pools. Other than that I really like it.
7.5/10

Well, here it goes. I'm pretty new here and I'm excited to hear what you have to say!
Je m'appelle James...okay, so I'm not French...but it still sounds cool!

~City Journal Under Progress~

Pat

Hey there Metropolpitan lemme be the first to give you a warm welcome to SC4D!!! OK about your pic hmmm well lets see here to start I will give you a solid 8/10.. OK why I do think you have a score of 8 is because of the smoke coming out of the chimney's is nice touch but its too cartoonie...  The streets are perfect as well as rest of the selection of homes and some of the trees...

Now about some of the other trees are tad to green and throws off the pic in a way and kinda also gives that cartoonie look as well... Now the photoshopping is darn good here and overall I do love your pic but those 2 things just throws the balance for me...  I hope you don't see my critique as too harsh at all...........

Piotr your score from me to start off with is a 6.5... Well I do like the neighborhood but unfortunately I don't see no real focal point here in this pic to draw my immediate attention too... I see a little photoshopping to the pic and that give's it a little feel to the pic....

Robin what are you trying to do to me and give my brain an overload here lol....  Well starting off here my score to you is a 7/10... OK I wont even rehash on the shadow issue that everyone else has mentioned about but to say I agree with them on it... Also I noticed as well the connection to the street could have been made as well to complete the feel of an exit... I love those walls and overall pic here and a diffrence from a port from you!!!

I dont have a pic to present this time around but maybe one soon from me again....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

rooker1

Metropolpitan, let me be the second (maybe) to give you a warm wlecome to SC4D.
As for your picture, I think it must be a very cold fall morning.  Some of the trees have already lost thier leaves, but not all of them.  The color of the picture is very good as an artistic touch and I like the PS'd in smoke from the chimneys.  For the sidewalks where they change, you can always zone a one by whatever while holding the control down and zone over top of the road and the side walk will appear in the zone wealth you have choosen.   ;) The frame around the picture nicely finishes everything off.
I give this picture a 8/10.

Piotr, I have always loved Matt325's residential houses and you have put them to great use.  I don't mind the fact that there are fall trees and summer trees mixed together.  Where I live there were trees for a few weeks that stayed green and others with no leaves at all anymore.  The side walks are all the same  ;) , the only two things that would finish off everything would be a nice frame and the picture looks too crisp or sharp.
I'll give this picture 8/10.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

art128

Lilojame => Wow ! these falls are fantastic  &apls these trees you're used look really good in this environment. I give you 9/10  :thumbsup:
rooker1 => this picture is in the  HOF no ? that cemetery is very well done, next to this little church . really great buildings used, but I think the blank area in the top of the picture don't look good  &mmm anyway, I give you 8/10 Robin  :thumbsup:
Sheep49 => this picture is really nice Piotr, great use of Matt325's residential houses next to this train station , but there's no car  &mmm and these house are a bit repetitive  :thumbsup: i give you 7.5/10
Metropolpitan => great pic, good choice of houses and great effect , the trees you used look really in this little village.  give you 7.5/10  :thumbsup:

I give one of mine

Arthur  :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Earth quake

Lilojame: Wow, Fabulous pic and beautiful photoshopping. 9.75/10  $%Grinno$%
Rooker: nice pic, the churhc is splendid and I particularity like the cemetery but is much "pixel". 7.5/10
Piotr: Excellent pic, I like the mattb325 house and the street mod, but The pic has got a bug no ?
and he hasn't life.  $%Grinno$%
6/10
Metropolpitan : Good pic, I like this house and Sam road. 8/10
Arthur: splendid pic, but he hasn' got a like but you have an excellent choice for a bat and I particularity like the cathedrale. 9/10  ::)

My pic

Metropolpitan

Thanks for the critiqes guys! And especially to Robin for that sidewalk deal.

art128: Nice picture. I like it, reminds me of some eastern european city or soemthing like that. There's just a few things I don't particualrly like. For one, the underground mall around the catherdral seems a bit out of place. The church itself is beautiful, but it's just a bit odd to me. I do love those three mid-rises to the right though. They add nice dimension to the picture.
7.5/10
Earthquake: Awesome picture! I really like the sunken highway and the way you contrasted the skyscrapers with the english homes. The only thing that I don't like is that yellow thing in the middle of the Bristish terraces in the top right corner. I have no idea what it is, but I don't really care for it!
9/10

Lilojame

Thank you all for critiques!

Ok lets see....

Metropolpitan : I love the warmth of colors and the athmosphere in there, the streets and trees fit perfectly. The smoke is a realy nice touch but you should do it with the brush set on more transparency and maybe smudge a little more (best way to do that is if you make another layer, paint the line for smoke and then smudge and blur it but I am sure you already know that). Overal I see some very nice PS skills there and I give you 8.4/10

art128 : Nice picture there. It reminds me on cities over EU since they are a mixture of new and old. But I also have to point out that sinken mall around the chatedral... it just pops out to much and acts a bit strange but on other hand, if I use imagination, it might be some new religious order who has own sunken malls and sell religious litterature and kids. I give you 8/10

Earth quake : I like the vivid colors used in there. Special appealing are those parked cars adn the wall-work by the highway but... yes it comes a but... those blue and red buildings are a bit out of place there... try to cover them with a paper and check how much better would the picture look without them... I would give you 7.8/10

And here is a new one from me:

Hit me...  ;D

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

Metropolpitan

Lilojame: B-e-a-utiful! It make me want spring! The colors are some pretty, and I love the blur, kinda like a dream. But, the blurring is quite overbearing. I would've liked it to be a bit more sharp. And the angles are odd. It seems like the trees on the left are leaning to the right and vice-versa. Besides those two things, I love it.
8.75/10

Here's a nice mosaic from me. It's heavily PS'ed :/

rooker1

art128, Very nice picture, but it has no frame/border which would be a nice finishing touch.  I'm also not big on all the different tress, especially the ones around the three triangular buildings.  All the buildings seem to fit very well, but the picture is void of any life.  I see only a handful of vehicles and no people.
I give this picture a 7.5/10

Earth quake, the colours look very saturated/colourful, almost unrealistic and yet it still looks pretty good, artistically.  The houses look very good as they are all the same or at least similiar.  The surroundings all fits well and the sunken highway looks great bordered by Buddybud's walls.  I really like the subject of the picture, SFBT buildings, and how it is off to one side right in the front.  There's not too much life in this picture, would have been really nice to see cars on the highway.  I know that Swamper77 has a few vehicle generator found HERE and there is another one HERE by mikeseith.  I do really like those diagonal parking lots.
I give this picture a 8/10.

Lilojame, WOW.....great picture, artistically.  It is very blurry, which isn't a bad thing in this case.  The colours are very nice and very fitting for this park scene.  The only thing that I think is missing is a suject.  I wish there was a fountain or a main plaza, something....even a person or two walking on the path.  Great border/frame and a good title too.
I give this picture a 9/10.

Metropolpitan, Super wow.....Great picture.  And thank you for keeping it 800 wide and making it a mosaic.  Good border/frame and a very fitting title.  Your snow effect is very well done, both the snow flakes and the snow building up on the roofs. I love the fact that you decided to do this idea with a night scene in a sky scrapper area.  Again, my biggest problem with most people's pictures is that they lack life, people and/or vehicles.   Try some of the links I provided above.  ;)
I give this picture a 9.5/10.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Lilojame

Thank you very much both of you! I was actualy expecting much harsher words since I personaly can find few more bumpers on my picture. ;) Oh, and Robin, if you look very very hard you will actualy notice a group of people on the path (2 are standing at the top "green" trees and one at the bottom, basicaly roughly on the middle of the picture) but the blurr hides them.  At this moment I dont have a picture but after checking in here I realy had to post my thoughts.

So Metropolpitan, this picture greatly surpases the one you posted earlier. The snowflakes are done perfectly, the lightning is perfect, the composition I also find perfect and the skyscrapers look wonderful. I also like the border you did and most definetly agree on the title. All I need now is a cup of hot chocholate and I am in heaven. This time I seriously need to give you 9.85/10

Heblem

Metropolpitan: The snow effect and night it surely my favorite, also the edge of the picture gives mystical effect to it, what i didn't like was the maxis arrows in the one-side road so you get a 8/10

Lilojame: I do really like the garden and the stone? made road through it but I'm not sure what your picture represent, it doesn't say much, for my taste i think you've used too much blur effect from photoshop. 8/10

Well i'll try... its 100% from game, no photoshop were used...

Its a typical North American suburb...

rooker1

Heblem, I know this project of yours very well.  Great job on it.
Now for the picture, it looks unfinished with a border/frame.  The picture itself is okay but lacks some kind of focal point.  For the amount of roads I would like to see some more traffic, it may bring the picture to life.
I give this picture a 6.5 out of 10.

Now here is another from me.

Enjoy and commet away,
Robin  ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

Lilojame

Heblem, very nice. I like the peacefulness whilest there is still life on the main road.What bother me are those blue and yellow cars repeating themself but that is not your fault. And well, there could be a frame there as Robin also pointed out. I give you 7/10.

Robin, the frame is a very nice touch and adds points to the pictures. I also like how you brought the colors down, it almost reminds me on Hitchcock from some reason and I like that. The shadows look better now, since the picture is darkened, but it still bothers me slightly. So I give you 9/10 this time.

EDIT:
Just found one to put here:

So...hit me... ;D

Godzillaman

Take away the border and you could have gotten an 8 from me...

I'll try this, and don't note the obvious lack of cars...:P

Edit: eh crap...might be a bit large... :D

Resized pic according to rules, Robin  ;)
"With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound he pulls the spitting high-tension wires down..."

alan_vzla

It looks pretty good... the buildings are not crammed up, it looks very well planned and realistic... Still, i'll give you a 8.5/10 because I don't know, it seems very clean and dead to me. Maybe it's the lack of cars or the great cuantity on white in the picture... maybe adding some people may do the trick.

It's still a very good pic and IMHO I think you deserve some  &apls

CasperVg

I would rate these great pictures as well, but I'm just to novice in it, the ratings would be very, very odd.

Instead, I'll post a picture I made myself;

No photo-editing applied

(Shameless plug for the MCP, isn't it? :p)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube