• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DC's Transit BATs

Started by DCMetro2834, August 03, 2010, 05:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter007

Very nice escalators. Did you made them yourself?

Simcitler

This might become a really great mid platform station.  &apls

DCMetro2834

Replies

I really appreciate you guys' continued comments and critique here; it is a major help!  :thumbsup:

Peter007: No, I downloaded them from scipio on the STEX. He lets people use them, as long as you credit them. With a couple modifications made by me, they fit in nicely with the rest of the station.

Simcitler: Thank you much!  :)

I didn't do too much work this weekend; I've been pretty busy with a lot of stuff. Still, I may post an image later tonight if I get around to doing some BATting.

DC  :satisfied:

Exla357

Looks good, DC. Nice to see you here. I am clueless about Transit Modding, but it looks good.

-Alex

DCMetro2834

Thanks much, Exla! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, RTMT BATting has kept me busy in the SC4 world; but just this weekend, I started working on my final version of the shelter. I was testing my nightlights and I ran into an issue:

The nightlights on the ride side never show up, regardless of what view you render it in. (South is on the top of the image, North is on the bottom)

This is the setup of my nightlights.... they are all equally spaced out and have the same settings (I copied and pasted them across the shelter).

I tried merging the Geometry and Lights into a new scene... but it didn't help the problem.

Anyone got any ideas? &mmm Any wisdom would be very greatly appreciated. ;D 

-DC-

Zaphod

I didn't know DC metro stations had warning striping like that, must be new(rode the system on a high school field trip in 2001). I don't know if I like it aesthetically(it's fine from a technical standpoint), but its your call since I know you are going for realism. Personally, I'd do stop with just the white pavement and lights, since that's how it looked for +30 years anyways.

Also, why not an EL station? Doing some research here, Eisenhower on the Yellow is such a station, though you are right that nearly all other above ground stations are on embankments not bridges. It's also got side platforms too, AFAIK. I mean, it doesn't have to be prototypical does it? If you wanted to recyle the existing cover you are batting, then do kind of fictionalized version of Huntington station(without the tail tracks going into a tunnel of course) because its got that sort of roof.
War Kittens !?

DCMetro2834

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it!! ;D

Well, the warning strip is actually dark red and bumpy on the real DC Metro. Also, the color of the platform is a dark red brick color. So I've basically changed the colors, but kept the same design. I've been to Washington 2 years ago for a middle school trip, and it does look the way it originally does. ;D I just couldn't come up with red textures that looked good together. So, the project basically became "loosely based upon" Greenbelt Metro Station.

I could turn Greenbelt into an EL Rail station if that's the popular demand; it honestly wouldn't be that hard, and would probably look more realistic if the escalators were actually going somewhere.  ::)

I could use the platform as the top part on the EL Rail tracks, and the escalators could go down to the area of Greenbelt Station that looks like this:

Was that the idea you had? Or did I not understand what you were saying... I had to read it twice. :P

To be honest, Eisenhower Station was going to be my next big project (I thought Greenbelt wasn't going to take a whole year :P ). I really like the way it's set up, and it would make a fantastic station to BAT. ;D

Again, thanks for your reply. ;D (You can tell I get excited when someone posts in my BAT thread :P ).

-DC-

Jack Bauer

I love all the details. I am looking forward to seeing the seeing the next pictures.

harishna

nice to see you back into action

peter007

Great prgress.
Nice but slowly.
I hope you will gte a nice time at the UNSW 

&apls

-Ernst

DCMetro2834

Jack Bauer: Thanks! :D
Harishna: Glad to be back in action; thank you! :)
Peter007: Thanks for the comment, and I hope to be updating more regularly soon.  :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some posts in the forums over at ST, I did manage to solve my nightlight problem.

They now look like this:

A couple weeks ago I render an in-game model, and the nightlights don't shine down on the ground. I don't have a platform with it... so is there some setting I can change?

They're not much use if they don't shine down. :P

Any insight on last picture, and any critique to the first one would be greatly appreciated! :)

DC

cogeo

You need some surfaces to reflect the light. Otherwise it won't be visible.

DCMetro2834

Quote from: cogeo on May 28, 2011, 02:31:02 PM
You need some surfaces to reflect the light. Otherwise it won't be visible.

Thanks Cogeo!

I think I will render my platform for Greenbelt, and use that. I think the lights will shine down on that, since the platform is rendered as a prop.

-DC-

DCMetro2834

I recently was able to get my hands on 3dsMax Design 2012, and have been experimenting with that a bit.

Here's a new subway station currently in the works; it's modeled after a DC Metro subway station :) (Escalators courtesy of Scipio). Modeling's not completely finished, but it's getting there. :P I could either add a staircase or a third escalator in the middle. Regardless of what I add, I will equal out the distances between the each escalator/staircase and the wall, so it will look neater.

Une_ame

&hlp

Looks more like Pentagon City Metro station IMHO but it actually makes me go back 6-7 yrs in the past. Dupont Circle was my station before jumping in the ligne 6H bus to Georgetown !!!!!!

Anyway, a staircase is an absolute need !!!  :thumbsup:
babuloziwad / adj Above perfection in SC4; Dude, this MOD is ~ !

DCMetro2834

Thanks Une_ame! ;D The subway stations have the same general design, so I guess it could many different ways. :P And I will add a staircase. ;)

--------------------------------------------

I recently released Greenbelt Metrorail on he STEX. :)

Come 'n' get it! :P

I'll be focusing on my DC Metro subway station next!

Une_ame

Actually, Dupont Circle access is a huge circular hole in the ground with 4 escalators (AFAIR) + a double staircase and no roof.  :thumbsup:

DCMetro2834

Quote from: Une_ame on September 23, 2011, 05:45:32 AM
Actually, Dupont Circle access is a huge circular hole in the ground with 4 escalators (AFAIR) + a double staircase and no roof.  :thumbsup:

Oh, yes, I know where you're talking about. :) That is the main entrance, but the one I am designing is this one: :P

But I might just rename it Pentagon City Metrorail Station, since it is more like that one. :P

This is Pentagon City: :)

Une_ame

AArff, DC, sweet memories  :-[. I use to get out through this small exit on New Hampshire Av. (Dupont Circle) in the morning and through the exact exit you just show at the  Pentagon City station in the evening befor waiting for my condo shuttle to bring me back at home......

I feel 6yrs younger.  :'(

Keep going.