• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

New England Colonial BAT Project

Started by kant01, December 17, 2008, 09:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kant01

So, I just started BAT-ing and these are the first real results I have had. It has taken me a little while to figure out all the controls but I am starting to make some progress.

I am trying to put together some 17th and 18th Century New England style houses to begin with, but would eventually like to expand to some C and I as well. I really appreciate any feedback and constructive advice you can give me.

Here are three houses, all 8meters wide, i.e. half a tile. They are all R$ and are all based on real historical buildings. There are three different color versions of each.

Clemence

Johnston

Eleazer

Thanks in advance for your comments and feedback!!

rooker1

Wow... :o....kant01,

For someone that has just started, I think you are off to an awesome start.
All three models look fantastic, the colour variations and textures are very good as well.  I can't really see anything that I would suggest you change.

Keep up the great work.
BTW, welcome to SC4D, you have come to the right place for advice.  ;)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

TheTeaCat

Welcome to SC4D kant01

What a way to make an entrance too :D :D
Those are some excellent BATs, with a good variety of colours and shapes.
I can't find any faults $%Grinno$%

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

peterycristi

what a great start, what a great project!  &apls
I relly like that sweet tiny houses!
H I S T O R I S C H E S   B E R L I N

alan_vzla

First of all, welcome to the SC4D community
Those are very good BATs you have there, they look very realistic, congrats!

You have really captured the essence of Colonial buildings, My favorite of the ones you've shown is the "Johnston"... I'm sure that with a good lot, these houses will be a hit on the LEX  ;)

Yoder7652

Pat

my intrest is sparked for sure here wow!!! BTW welcome to SC4D there kant01!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

kant01

Wow, I really appreciate the feedback and all the kind words.

rooker1 - You are too kind. Thanks for the greeting and the feedback. Much appreciated!

TheTeaCat - Thanks for the welcome and the kind words. There are definitely faults, but I'm glad you like them.

peterycristi - thanks! I also like small houses.

alan_vsla - I appreciate the welcome. I am glad you like the BATs. :)

Yoder - Thanks!

Pat - Thanks for the greetings and the interest!

I have currently game testing those. I have a few things that need to be worked out, but I hope they will be done soon.

In the meantime, I have been working on a BAT of the Paul Revere House in Boston. Here is a picture of the house from the back:

I have made a somewhat imperfect version.

And I made another version with a wall around the lot (1x1). I cannot decide which is better to use:

And I have 4 different color versions besides the actual brown color:

I am currently trying to game test the BAT but having problems with it. It definitely can fit on a 1x1 square, but for some reason it will not grow at all. I even reduced the growth stage to 1 so that it would have no problems but it still won't grow. All of my other BATS do just fine. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that it comes from one edge to the other on all 4 sides. But I checked it in gmax and it definitely does not exede 16m on any side. Any thoughts? I currently have it at 15 residents.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

un1

Are you sure you are new to BATting? You are already millions of times better than me.  :thumbsup: Great work!

-un1

SimNation

Cannot wait to have these. They will add to my suburbs. &apls

DebussyMan

These look great! The textures are perfect, and we're lacking of more buildings of this type. I think they'd fit very well with C.P.'s XIX century pack.

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

Pat

try a bigger size lot that might work... Otherwise looking real great!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

spa

I'm really looking forward to these. We don't have enough houses and these are definite gems. Everything is looking good. I have just one small comment about the Eleazer, the window blinds or sash (the white bit) is a tad bright. I would darken it up. I know that's really nitpicking but it does grab the eye and it's the only thing I can see that is worth changing.

If you're having trouble getting the building to grow check the lot config prop zone type in the lot file. If you have your growth stage set to one but the lot config is set to medium residential or, worse, not set for any zone, then your building's won't grow. I have had the lot config go screwy on me before. That's the only thing I can think of.

kant01

I really appreciate the feedback everyone.

un1 - I assure you I am, but thanks! I am having trouble still with getting the textures to look the way I want them to. It is very frustrating.

SimNation - Glad you like them!

DebussyMan - I am glad you like the textures. I had a really hard time getting them to look right. And I am definitely hoping that they will fit in with C.P.'s lots. They are an inspiration to me. :D

Pat - I finally got the lot to grow. I had to adjust the occupant size in iLive reader to like 15.9x15.9, but it finally worked. Thanks for the feedback!

spa - I really appreciate the suggestion! I will definitely make that darker. I agree that does stand out too much. Thanks also for the tip about the lot config. I will be sure to keep an eye on that.

Ok, so here is another model I have made, the Blair House, which is a colonial residence that is actually from Colonial Williamsburg and so technically not New England, but I think it fits anyway.

Thanks for your suggestiosn and comments!

un1

The textures look fine the way they are, but you are the creator. :thumbsup: Looking great!

-un1

SimNation

I am droolin over here for these lots  &hlp

Pat

awesome news I am excited to hear that they are now growing for you Kant01!!! The newest stuff is looking sweet!!! If you need any testers sing me up.....

tag_one

Wonderful houses Kant. They are detailed very well and their textures are great as well.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
btw, do they have nightlights?

kant01

Thanks for the feedback! I truly appreciate it.

un1 - well glad you like the textures. I appreciate it!  ()stsfd()
SimNation - So happy you like them!
Pat - thank you! I'll keep you posted on when they might be ready :)
tag_one - I really appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately, I have not done any night lights on these. But I plan to very soon.

Ok, so I have a bunch more houses and I am working on, but in the meantime I wanted to throw in another colonial style building. This time it is an old town hall. Again, this one is not actually New England. It is from New Castle, Delaware, but I thought it was lovely.

I wanted something else to go with these buildings so I could get a sense of scale and the overall look and feel, i.e. how they all go together.

I quickly lotted this one and the Blair House just to get feel for the progress and what else I need to adjust before they are ready:

These were just some quick lots I threw together - so please don't judge them too harshly!  And I still need to fix the trim on the Blair House. What I am interested in here is just how they look together, scale, details, etc. What else needs to be done?

Thanks for the feedback!

shoreman905

Just a word of encouragement here. We have needed American historic buildings for some time. I am down here in Virginia (Eastern Shore to be exact) and we have colonial buildings all over the place. Your work looks great, please continue this series, I look forward to seeing it released. And, if you want or need photos from Williamsburg or other Virginia locations, please PM me, I would be honored to dig them out and send them to you.