• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Kentaska River Region

Started by projectadam, March 23, 2008, 10:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

projectadam

Something big is here!!!

Construction Begins: 03.26.08
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

bwatterud

Those had better not be large tiles.  What? They are?  *faints*

That looks like a seriously epic region. 

mightygoose

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.....lol

i just hope you stick at this long enough to get a significant portion developed...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Yoman

Wow that is big, nice map also.

bat

Yes, great map there! Also a very big one!

Looking forward to Spring/ Summer! ;)

CasperVg

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

projectadam

bwatterud: *Waves smelling salt under nose* Stick with me bwatterud, we are just getting started...

mightygoose: You and me both, I am more worried about my machine giving out before I do though...

Yoman: Sings: "I like big MAPS and I can not lie, you other brothers can't deny..."

bat: It is right around the corner and I am way ahead of schedule...

caspervg: Thanks, I am going to need it...

Author Comments: I am moving along quite a bit faster on this than I thought. I originally was thinking I could get 4 - 5 tiles done a day (the rivers and getting tile to tile to align was tedious) but I am getting a lot more done a day and I am pretty much done with the river/streams/creeks. I am going back into the real world again and it is going to be a busy week with school, work and home life but I am hoping that maybe by the end of the week the tiles will be completed.

Now this is where I am going to need some help, this region covers two different states (the river is pretty much the boundary), has several creeks and streams and will have somewhere between 100 - 150 different towns/villages. This region is going to take place in the Midwest of the USA and the philosophy behind growth and building is going to mirror that of the time frame shortly after 1776.

What does this all mean? I am going to need a lot of help coming up with names for everything and a little bit of history behind the places. History is not needed but I think it would be a lot more interesting than just names of places and also hopefully get lurkers involved. It does not have to be specific, example: "Town "A" was founded by four German families that settled in the area to farm." My original idea was to have everything time specific to the area but I just can not find enough custom content to represent the 1800s accurately (and I would have to figure out some way to take cars out of the game for over 100 years which I just do not have the resources to do.)

So with that, I hope you enjoy your stay here and put yourself or ideas on the map. Thanks for the support everyone!!!

projectadam

The River Community of
New Jamestown

has been founded. (Picture taken in 1778)

Mulefisk

That certainly is a big region. Kudos to you if you manage to finish it.

Nice first pic too. If I were you though, I wouldn't worry too much about the details at this point. You should do like Mr Beer does with his big regions. Lay out all the road networks first, then start filling in, then add details.

bat

Nice work on that river! Looks great!

kwakelaar

Well done job so far with getting Simcity to look like something that could have been an American town in the 18th century.

By the way have you been downloading any of Cycledogg/CP's bats, he has been making quite a few old American buildings.

Pat

projectadam great start here and I will be following along here with great intrest...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

projectadam

Mulefisk: Thanks for the encouragement. I am a huge fan of Mr. Beer's work (Lincoln, Nebraska was my hometown for several years) and laying out everything would make things quite a bit easier for me and would probably go faster but what I think will separate this is showing a realistic development of the region.

bat: Thanks, I think the creeks and streams that run into the river might be transformed into canals once development gets there to allow all of the great WFK lots.

kwakelaar: I found CP's bats and already have them and was wondering if Cycledogg is the same person or works with him? I could not find any 19th century pieces by him.

Pat: Hope that you stay around for the long haul.

Author Notes: I was hoping that things would develop faster than they are but I am taking it easy here at the start to get everything to look right. Pictures are taking around 30 - 60 minutes to complete just because I am taking out all traffic in pictures and lots and substituting in horses and carriages. Hope that the first three developments will have pictures by the end of the week :thumbsup: