• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

3dsmax7 rendering or LOD-problem

Started by royal, April 13, 2009, 03:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

royal

Hello guys and girls,
the problem is difficult to explain, but I hope you`ll get it.
Nearly everytime 3dsmax7 or BAT4Max destroy the S3D-files in a new created .sc4model-file. The .fsh-files look fine in the Reader. For me there is a problem with the UV-Map. The white lines, don't know how the name of those is  ;D, don't fit to the model. It could be a LOD-conflict, but I don't have seen something else before.
This error appears everytime, only small models like sign posts etc. don't have it. It doesn't matter if it is a large railway station, a larger bus stop, highrises, or even this little hall for passengers. In zoom 4 to 1 it seems that the model is okay, a bit unsharp. Only zoom 5 and 6 are broken :(
Perhaps you have an idea, because it annoys me.  >:(
I`m using 3dsmax7 with BAT4Max 2.5.
Pictures:

Zoom 4-----------------------------Zoom 5

Reader---------------how it should look like :(

Greets,
royal  :thumbsup:

Member of the SimForumBatTeam (SFBT)

beutelschlurf

moin royal,

i once had the problem too, but i used undefined transparent textures, from a modeling_programm called sketchup ...  &Thk/(
after i changed this, it vanished ...
did you redefine your lod's? i guess so ...

b_schlurf

royal

Guten Tag beutelschlurf,
I`ve used alpha maps for the transparent look, like the doors or the graffitis. What do you mean with undefined? What did you cange to get defined transparent textures?
Weill, I`ve made a few test. The error appears with my selfmade custom lods, the with redefine lods etc. Or is there another way to create them?
Thanks for your help,
schönen Tag noch  :thumbsup:

SimFox

OK
I guess it is right time for me, as a maker of Bat4Max2.5 to step in...

first, a question:
do you use HD rendering with this one? The fact that problem affects exclusively Zoom5 and "bigger" models strongly indicate this.

royal

Yes, I`ve tried to avoid the problem with making HD-props, but it failed again.
For me the problem became worse than without using your script, but the problem was there much longer than the way of exporting HD-props. I`ve had these errors the first time I`ve used 3dsmax7 and this was in 2007 or early 2008. Reinstalling or formatting of the whole system didn't work. After that I changed back to gmax in hope it would function with later BAT4Max.
The error appears not only with BAT4Max 2.5 but with BAT4Max 3.0, too.
In case that other people, who tried to render my buildings have the same problem, but ohnly with my model, I would send you a few models with those errors.

SimFox

Please upload following:

- your max file
- your SC4Model file

in zip or RAR archive to say www.rapidshare.com and send me the link, so I could examine it.
I still believe that the issue is somehow related to the HD script, or to be precise improper use of it, but I'll have better idea when I see requested files.

royal

SimFox

I'm pretty sure now that it is all due to improper use of HD render.
Your FSHs don't match the size of model in Zoom5.
The actual mistake is that you have only used HD script for MAX but not for GMAX. So your Model (produced by GMAX BAT) is too small for your blownUp FSHs produced by MAX.

It was kind of visible from the pictures you've posted in this thread. But become absolutely and undeniably obvious from he SC4Modle File. Your S3d model at zoom5 South view is cut into only 2 slabs (and consequently has only 2 Groups) while you have 4 FSH for same rotation.

I could mail to you beta version of GMAX tool later today. It would provide you with solution and me with beta tester  $%Grinno$%

royal

This sounds great, do you need my email-adress or do you do it via PM?
But why did I have this problems for 1 year? There wasn't anything with HD-props or so?  &mmm

EDIT//
With the script for gmax extra it works fine with the station. In the reader the S3D-files look okay. Thank you :D

SimFox

PM me your email.

I absolutely sure that you didn't have THIS problem  year ago...
You may had something the superficially looked like this but I assure you it wasn't this. Although may had some common routs - mismatch between S3d model and FHSs. But is saying that gangrene in your toe is same as a bruise because both make you lil' toe to turn blue...

If you still have any of those old files affected send them over to me as well I could take a look (for sporting interest)

royal

Your a genius, thanks a lot  &hlp :D
With the additional file for gmax the passenger hall looks quite fine, older models with the old mistake, too. But, 2MB for a single elevated station is large.
I will try it without your HD-method and I`ll report again.

royal  &hlp :thumbsup:

royal

I could not recreate the old mistake. Now all old files look much better than before.

difference between HD and non-HD---nightlights
2 MB -------- 1MB

The only problem now are the blue nightlights on the station and the passenger waiting hall. In 3dsmax they are pure white. But I`ll get it  :thumbsup:

Thanks beutelschlurf and SimFox for your help  &apls

Andreas

@royal: Unfortunately, those screenshots are password-protected (again).  &mmm
Andreas

royal

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

beutelschlurf

glad you solved it ... thanx to SimFox  :thumbsup: