• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patricius Maximus

genemc777: Go through the tab cycle in the Transitions button. Transitions between elevated and ground are there.

genemc777

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on January 16, 2009, 07:53:25 AM
genemc777: Go through the tab cycle in the Transitions button. Transitions between elevated and ground are there.

;D Thanks Patricius Maximus :thumbsup:

Patricius Maximus

remanh

I'm having trouble producing an RHW-6 90 degree curve.  Is there a puzzle piece missing (a one tile filler)?

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

RickD

Tarkus, the new RHW is so awesome! This was definitely worth the wait.  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I have the same problem as metarvo, there are two RHW-8 to diagonal transition pieces missing.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Haljackey

All right, let me see if I can help solve this curve problem some people are experiencing.

The RHW-6S and RHW-8 curve puzzle pieces were designed to help you make curves along your highway.  Like in the last release, all curves for the RHW are 45 degrees, as a 90 degree curve would be considered too sharp a turn.

I see Robin (Rooker1) linked my tutorial about making smooth 90 degree curves with the RHW-4 curve pieces.  This is a workaround, and something that has not yet been discovered for these wider turns.  Perhaps future releases will contain what you are asking for.

In the meantime, let me post a couple pictures showing you what the new curve pieces were designed for.

This is what the curve pieces were made to do, curve along the roadway.

In this picture, you see a 90 degree curve, or at least an attempt at it. 
-The inner curve was made by dragging the RHW-6S into a curve.
-The outer curve was an attempt using the RHW-6S curve pieces.  They are meant to curve 45 degrees, not 90 degrees.

(Note: drawing a RHW-6S curve is challenging and takes a lot of trial and error.)

I'll say it again.  These puzzle pieces are here to help you make curves.  You can manually draw curves with the RHW-2, RHW-4 and RHW-6S in RHW 3.0, with curve puzzle pieces designed to help make RHW-6S and RHW-8 curves.

Anyways, I hope this clears some stuff up.  I'm sure Alex (Tarkus) will clairify the next time he logs in.

Best,
-Haljackey

itsacoaster

I'd like to give a big thank you to Tarkus and the rest of the NAM team for this release! My favorite addition is to draggable MIS functionality.  It truly does open up a lot of possibilities for this game.

elliey-sama

Is there any tutorials where they show how to build an overpass over a road you know the ones where they show a nice terra form slope where the onramps go nice and smooth down? its kind of hard for me to do those even with the new hole digging lots because they have so many heights i just want to know which is the perfect height to start off.

Owaen

--> elliey-sama

Do you mean something like this ?

If you do, then I haven´t seen a tutorial but I could try to make one if anyone would be interested in one.
This one was made with "old" RHW 2.0

Ps, the on slope pieces work best at a height/depth of 15m

j-dub

In the future, Maybe the RHW-variable width S-Curve diagonal pieces will be turned into full 90 degree curve pieces, but don't even think about using the 1x3 tiles to do just that yet. A real diagonal piece 2x2 would need to be made by putting the diagonals on corners not straight lines to intend a 90 degree bend. However if you are willing to take on the tough job, OWR diagonal stubs can be used to close the missing gaps when making a 90 degree RHW-6 bend. Thats what I did. Without the area highlighted, you may not have noticed.

bob56

love the new RHW... does anyone know of any ploppable lights to place next to highways/MIS that are smaller than the ones below? Most districts have lights on surrounding roads.

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks, J-dub!!
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

j-dub

Yeah. Interstate80 made some new ploppable lights. Look that name up. They will take up alot of space in the parks menu though. Even though I-80 did previous exemplars, the next mod contains alot of wood pole ploppable lights as well. Why? Because not all ramps out in the open have lights on them, so no T21 lights on the RHW angled ramps. I have a smaller version of that high mast light when I take these pictures. Don't think anyone noticed.

RickD

Haljackey, how did you do this in your first picture.

I can not close those gaps because there are no such puzzle pieces:

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

metarvo

RickD, that's precisely the problem I'm having.  Evidently, the RHW-8 curves are either missing or coded incorrectly.  I know something's wrong, because there are eight rotations present for the RHW-8 ortho-diag transition 1, but only four present for the RHW-8 ortho-diag transition 2.  Haljackey built that using the curves that actually exist, but there seems to be no way to close the gap that you are reporting, unless you downgrade the affected lanes to RHW-6.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

pagenotfound

Hal how the heck do you do a curve in RHW 8? Some of us cant figure it out including me :D
Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

Tarkus

I've looked into the RHW-8 Orth-Diag Transition 2 piece problem, and actually had the same issue myself last night.  Simple typo in the mirroring command.  I'll keep you all posted as to what we're going to do on this end, and my apologies for any inconvenience.  You should, however, still be able to use that piece in certain setups, like that one which Haljackey showed of an RHW-8 S-Curve.

For anyone wondering about the draggable RHW-6S Diagonal Functionality, it is actually disabled at present, due to the number of quirks still present in the code. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

the7train

Great job on the RHW v3.0 and the new NAM!!! This is like a new game!  

I just have a question about the neighbor connections for RHW 6S and 8  (and probably 10 too I just haven't tried that).  I have done exactly what it says in the read me and mine looks just like the picture, however my sims are not traveling to the neighbor city where all the Industry jobs are.  Could someone provide the steps to do this?

What I did was build the RHW (tried with 6S and 8  ) and then dragged the RHW 2 perpendicular over the wide RHW to look exactly like the picture in the read me.  I really appreciate your help and GREAT WORK!

j-dub

I used avenues on the border lines for RHW8. Thats one way I got the connection to work. However, in the case of RHW-6, Even though the instructions show it not crossing the median, I have had higher probability getting neighbor connection to work by fully dragging it across the median at the border, and then cars will take it out. It does seem like you have to run the game in play for some time for the neighboring connection to establish. Next point, which is a simulator thing, it seems like when another job is available, cars don't want to drive to industry anymore, if something better is around. Thats what I noticed, could be because they don't like the freight trucks.

the7train

Thanks for your fast response j-dub.  For the RHW 8 I have tried using the avenue and I also tried with the Maxis ground HW and no luck.  I put civic, commercial and industry jobs.  As soon as I build a regular road, the sims start commuting to the neighbor city.  Is there an order in which to do this?  Or any tricks?

I build one city with everything (jobs and sims) to get it going and build the connections described above.  Then I finish the connection in the next city and build residential and no road zots show up.  Then when I build the road to the neighbor, the houses go up and sims commute.  I'm puzzled!