• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Residential Row Houses

Started by ihatetacos, February 19, 2010, 12:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ihatetacos

Here's my idea

Wall to Wall houses for your cities!

Not all cities are metropolises with towering skyscrapers..... so I'm trying to make more lots for your more realistic
cities.

I only have one model done so far ( it took like 6 hours and i spent all day on it ) so i hope u like it!

of course there will be more models then just this one and they will each have multiple recolors.

I'm also debating if they should be 2 story ,as shown here ,or 3 story homes...

any and all comments and critiques are appreciated

thingfishs

very nice :thumbsup:

I'd personally keep them as 2 storey, maybe do a separate 3 level set as well. The roof texture is prominently tiling, I think you need to find something else. The base texture doesn't meet up to the front porch steps but I figure the LOTting is yet to be done.. Also the windows on the side look a little repetitive to me, and the seam between the houses needs to be less obvious.

But it's a lovely modeled house, great design. Look forward to your progress.

joelyboy911

Something about it makes me think "San Francisco". Sorry if this isn't what you were aiminf arI also think that the stairs should meet up with the path. For this, I recommend making a custom ground texture set.

Also, i think you need to change the texture on the roof. When you can see exactly where one repetition of the image starts and the next ends, its not a very good look, I'm sorry. I'm sure someone with a bit more BAT knowledge can give you the particulars on how to remedy this.

Other than those two issues, your work here looks very nice. I really like the slight curvature of the steps. It looks perfectly in-scale to the SC-World and it seems to have the perfect amount of detail.

In short, I think it would be perfect with a little more texture work on the roof, and some changes to the lotting. I recommend adding a fence or wall of some kind, and maybe a few small-ish bushes to the lot.

Really great job so far!
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

gottago

Very nice rowhouse, looks good. The other posts are on target about what should be improved, and I would add that the wood texture on the porch is way too peach-colored where you need something more greyish--look at the color of wood when it is exposed to the weather--it bleaches to a dark silver-grey.

Also, the roof (besides the texture problem) is a bit plain for this kind of semi-detached house, which would be built in an area with pretty high land values, so space would be at a premium and they would want to make the attic story habitable too. So that means more dormers. It would make good sense to repeat the big front dormer on the left side on the back, with the ridge lines lining up; maybe it would be a bit shorter on the back to add variety, and also would help to put another, smaller one beside it on the back, or even better, a flat-roofed dormer 2 windows wide.

It would also be better to put it on a 1x3 lot with a small back yard (anywhere where this sort of house would be built would demand a setback from the lot line in their zoning laws) and maybe pull the model closer to the street front a bit more.

ihatetacos

Well heres what i got so far

First off i created some recolors of the house.

I also added shutters to the windows

I bumped out the back

I also added a dormer to the top floor- i was trying to figure out how to add a roof above the dormer- if i left it alone it looked really weird so i decided to make it just a facade IF YOU WANT ME TO REMOVE IT then say so and if u like it I'll keep it

these houses now sit on a 1x3 lot and im trying to get the stairs to sit just on the edge of the sidewalk but its difficult

i am also going to be extending the roof above the entrance so it meets to bow windows

THANK YOU for so many comments guys     the support is appreciated

Ignore the lotting for now im just trying to focus on the bat and will return to lotting later.

If you guys think that this model is ready then ill start on another to add variety to your neighborhoods tonight :P

mightygoose

these are really good, however they could be amazing if you maybe make the textures abit less uniform.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

joelyboy911

Personally, I liked it better without the dormer. Other than that, it looks excellent.  &apls
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

thingfishs

Looking better. :thumbsup: The roofs are less jarring than they were but the texture is still repeating. Also the texture itself I'm not a big fan of, what sort of material is it meant to be? Certainly I would reduce the contrast on it if you're going to stick with it. I don't like the new attic window setup, I like the idea, but it makes the model too cluttered IMO. 1 by 3 looks better as well as having the houses by the road. Hopefully you can resolve the step situation, I think it would look a lot better being flush with the sidewalk. Also while I think a picket fence is a good look, they seem a little low to me.

Pat

tacos mmm i love tacos ooo sorry ot but anywho looking better there with the second set of houses there and I agree they have the San Fran feel to them...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

SC4BOY

It's a shame they have such beautiful back yards, but no door back there to get to it.. :)

Nice work.. we'll look forward to your further work.. nice idea, and nice first steps!

gottago

Putting the dormer on the front makes that facade awful cluttered and I'd remove it. Try moving it to the back without the pediment, and also try a small pitched-roof single dormer on the back over the window. And good call sc4boy--you need yourself a back door, most definitely, and a little bit of terrace wouldn't hurt either.

What is the scale of these, btw? Could you post a pic with some of them beside some other houses, Maxis among them?

ihatetacos

Just a really quick little update

I'm going to make these detached houses ive decided

in order to do that i was going to have to rescale everything and decided it would be more fun to just throw away everything and start from scratch again

so far  i have only the top floor bay window ( ive been working for ever and am exhausted...who new batting would be so hard)

Its loosely based off of this picture here ~~~ www.flickr.com/photos/anomalous_a/4372405164/in/pool-50675280@N00

thanks to jasoncw on simtropolis for finding that great link to those pictures

so pretty much i just wanted to show you guys what ive been working on so you didn't think i abandoned it er sumthin....

hope to have the rest of the house finished by tomorrow

if you can think of anything to add/change to this so far just let me know ( besides the pick and green i didn't texture it yet)

ihatetacos

Ok so i got about 80% of this house done but.....something just doesn't look right.  iv'e been looking at it for way too long tho and can't pick it out for myself.

( on the second floor the window is intentionally left opened but the angle at which the window frames swing out makes it impossible to see them....just noticed i have to fix that.)

joelyboy911

What can I say? It looks excellent!
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

thingfishs

It looks great. I would say that the texture on the balcony etc., and maybe the walls, are too similar to the roof. Having the appropriate brown or whatever on the balcony would help a lot as a contrast to the grey IMO. Also the front of your steps is on an angle still (are you putting this version right on the sidewalk like the last one?) If so having a straight edge will help.

ihatetacos

Just wanted to give an update on my progress.

I am putting 2 houses on each lot

I'm also adding a garage on the ground floor.

Mostly I'm wondering how the scaling looks so far

ihatetacos

Tah Dah!

It's modeled heavily after the rowhouses in San Francisco as well as some of the older Victorians in my hometown.

Any thoughts?

If you guy's like it I'll put it into lot editor and move onto the Next BAT.
My goal is to have at least 10 different models based on San Franciscan Architecture.....each with multiple recolors...so about 40-50 different buildings.....Kind of Ambitious but i think I'd like to do that
After that Houses based on Toronto
And then New York.....
I'm getting excited about this
Hope you guys like it!

thingfishs

the front of the buildings are looking fantastic &apls

But the roof and wall textures are still leaving a lot to be desired, particularly on the right model. The roof on the left looks pretty good but could do with something to break it up a bit. But I think the roof on the right needs a complete overhaul, it's a too solid grey. And why are the lines on the roof running lengthways?

IMO these need to be setup for non W2W situations as well. I'm guessing that's why the side of the right hand model looks the way it does.

Good luck with these, they really are great looking houses and I'm glad you're inspired to do more.