• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Christchurch Rebuild

Started by Diggis, February 27, 2011, 10:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catty

Quote from: RickD on October 15, 2012, 02:44:53 AM
It is very interesting to see how Christchurch is being rebuilt. And I admire the people for not giving up. I have family there but, unfortunately, I never had the chance to visit.

That demolition list is depressing, though. So many buildings and the list goes on and on. I have to admit that I didn't realise it was that bad.

My Sister lives in Darfield, Christchurch which was the epicentre of the 7.1-magnitude quake which started this off in Sept 2010 and that wasn't as bad as the 6.3-magnitude in Feb 2011, buildings just couldn't take the extreme movement, even so apart from one building that collapsed and caught fire, most buildings stayed together long enough for the occupants to get out safely. 

QuoteThe quake was a "strike-slip event with oblique motion"—mostly horizontal movement with some vertical movement—with reverse thrust (i.e. vertical movement upwards). The vertical acceleration was far greater than the horizontal acceleration. The intensity felt in Christchurch was MM VIII. The peak ground acceleration (PGA) in central Christchurch exceeded 1.8g (i.e. 1.8 times the acceleration of gravity), with the highest recording 2.2g, at Heathcote Valley Primary School, a shaking intensity equivalent to MM X+. This is the highest PGA ever recorded in New Zealand; the highest reading during the September 2010 event was 1.26g, recorded near Darfield. The PGA is also one of the greatest ever ground accelerations recorded in the world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Christchurch_earthquake

Cathy
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

catty

QuoteAn international competition has been launched to design and build an urban village on the northeast side of Latimer Square.

The village will have a minimum of 50 dwellings and will occupy a 10,000-square-metre site on the corner of Madras and Gloucester streets.

Already nearly 130 architects and designers from around the world have registered their interest in taking part in the competition, which is being run jointly by the Christchurch City Council, the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment, the Christchurch Central Development Unit and Ngai Tahu ....

To see some of the plans for the rest of the city take a closer look at the picture in this link and hover over the blue dots

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/business/the-rebuild/7817816/Competition-to-design-build-city-village

another link to the competition

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home-living/7827499/McClouds-grand-design-for-Christchurch

and a "mooted design for the Christ Church Cathedral"

-catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

catty

I know its been a few years since I posted in here, but this article on the Christchurch rebuild seemed relevant, as you can see from the pictures of what's happening in Christchurch five years on from the earthquake you would be hard pressed to call this a rebuild, unless of course you like lots of trees and not a lot of neighbours

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/84993221/five-years-of-rebuilding-christchurch-as-seen-from-the-sky

-catty

matias93

I've checking the satellite photos and news reports, and frankly think that this is one of those moments when a city has to humbly submit itself to its geography: Christchurch is in a place that will be ever struck by earthquakes, and they will ever cause massive liquefaction; technology is simply insufficient to resolve the problem of a damped soil (it would require to literally replace huge blocks of ground with vibrated crushed stones, something that can be done for the foundations of one building, but not for an entire city).

Maybe a reasonable option would be to move the further expansion of the city away from the plainlands and to the hillside to the south, where soils are more stable and dry, and to follow the effects of the earthquake: keep the most affected areas as riverside parks and try to drain underground water to those places, which could be a very expensive endeavour, considering gravity wouldn't be helpful; maybe something akin to Netherlands' wind powered water pumps could help to reduce the costs.

Hailing from another land typically struck by earthquakes, the big lesson is always the same: to fight against the natural tendencies of the terrain is, no matter what, a lost cause.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

catty

Quote from: matias93 on October 06, 2016, 10:54:41 PM
....keep the most affected areas as riverside parks and try to drain underground water to those places, which could be a very expensive endeavour, considering gravity wouldn't be helpful; maybe something akin to Netherlands' wind powered water pumps could help to reduce the costs....

There are now about a dozen community groups advocated making all the "red zone" land ... the land in Christchurch was colored-coded so people knew if an area or house was OK, red means you can't rebuild as the land is to badly effected by the earthquakes ... into lakes and/or parks

This group wants to turn the area into parks

http://www.avonotakaronetwork.co.nz/projects/eden-nz--mountains-to-the-sea--ki-uta-ki-tai-.html

another group instead wants to build a 2.2-kilometre lake to be used for sports like rowing, etc as you can imagine that isn't going down well with the groups that want to have streams and parks, but it would have the advantage of having a place to drain all the water that keeps popping up every time there is another earthquake.

Diggis

Thanks for that Stuff page Catty, I'd missed that one.  It's still saddening to see how little of MY city is left.

Diggis

Hey Catty, Hope you've survived the last round of Quakes. *hugs*