• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A tour of my work and home...

Started by JBSimio, April 19, 2007, 06:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBSimio

A number of people have asked me about camp and what I do.  Well, in short, I'm the food service director for a rather large YMCA camp.  That means I feed kids for a living.  We're open all year with school groups, weekend groups and then of course a traditional summer camp.  I have two year round kitchens, but in the summer the number of buildings I have to keep tabs on grows to seven.  Unfortunately, none of that really gives a very good idea of just what this place is all about.  So... having had a bit of unexpected free time the other day, I thought it would be a fun idea to go for a hike with my camera and show you all around a little bit.  This was about a two hour walk and covers the bulk of camp's 1200 acres.  I took nearly 80 pictures and then trimmed it down to 33.  First, let's take a look at the overview (thanks to Mapquest):

The route I took is drawn (quite badly, I'm afraid) in green and the red dots and numbers correspond to the pictures.  I also outlined the approximate camp property lines in blue... just for fun.  We begin in the upper left corner of the map...

Our tour starts at Ranch Camp.  In the summer, "camp" is divided into a number of villages, based on mainly on age or specialty areas.  Ranch Camp is one of several villages that is used only in the summer.  It is a co-ed teen village whose program is based entirely around horses and farming.  It is a very rustic village and the campers help with all the farming chores, including their own meals.

The Ranch Pond

The Ranch pond (1) is the only true body of water on camp that isn't part of the lake. (There are many wetland areas, but no other open water.)  It's pretty shallow, so it doesn't get any use as a swim area, but it's usually a nice place to find geese and ducks.  At least once every summer, someone manages to put a sailboat in this pond as a prank.  If you've ever watched any camp movies (Parent Trap or Meatballs for example) then you know all about pranks. 

This is a picture of The Ranch barn (2).  The rest of the village is quite small (40 campers is the average for this village) and not set up yet, so there isn't a whole lot else to see here yet.  Let's move on for now...

Outback (3) - Dining Hall

Following one of several paths, we eventually come to another of the summer teen villages, Outback (3) Outback is a male village with the most rustic of any accomadations.  This is a picture of their "dining hall," which we actually send food to every day.  The boys sleep in platform tents and also help prepare their own meals.  There isn't much else to see here, since again the village isn't really set up yet.  So we continue down the path (4)towards other parts of the teen villages.

Path from Outback to Pathfinders(4)

To make things more confusing, I left teen camp temporarily and made my way through youth camp.  Shortly after leaving the road we just saw, we cut across the athletic fields and the high ropes (5) course. 

High Ropes

This course serves the entire North Center and all of summer camp during that season.  It is also used for our Outdoor Education groups (typically 5th or 6th grade students) during the spring and fall.  Continuing to walk towards the developed areas of the North Center, I was suprised to see horses in one of the pastures (6)

Horses at (6)

I figured they would all be out on rides, but apparently I was wrong.  There is a pretty extensive system of trails here and horse rides are always a big part of the "camp experience."  Just past this area, you can see the tepees we use for overnight campouts and also our 70 foot climbing tower (7).

Climbing Tower (7)

From here, it's just a matter of turning around and we're at the Malachi Dining Hall (8 ).  Malachi is one of two kitchens that are open all year.  It is by far the largest and can seat up to 450 kids at one time.  This building actually opened mere weeks before I started working here in 1999.  It serves as the hub of the North Center.  The North Center is home to four different youth camp villages which are divided into age groups during the summer.  During the school year, the majority of our Outdoor Education groups also use this area.

Malachi Dining Hall (8 )

Here is another angle which also shows the flags (9).  The two international flags rotate daily and represent the countries of origin for any staff or camper that has attended past and present.  I can't remember how many countries that is, so please don't ask.  There are quite a few, though.

Malachi Flag Poles (9)

Moving through the North Center, we come to the Old North Kitchen (10).  This is used primarily as classroom space now, but in the summer, I reclaim it as a pack out facility.  Any meals that aren't eaten in one of the main dining halls is prepared here.  This building was the main dining hall that Malachi replaced if you can imagine that!

Old North Kitchen (10)

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

JBSimio

I'll bring the map back, so you can reorient yourself a little.

We just finished with number 10 for anyone who is keeping score at home.  Let's make our way back into teen camp now.  As I approached the teen camp's waterfront I first heard and then spotted these sandhill cranes (11).  They weren't too happy with the interuption and quickly took flight (12).

Sandhill Cranes (11 & 12)

So I finished my business and got a view of the lake from this swim area, known as The Cove (13).  The Cove is the swim area for all of teen camp.  We have three swim areas and several boating areas as well.  This view is looking across the lake towards the South boating area.

The Cove (13)

From here, it's just a short walk into the hub of all teen camp, which is called Frontier.  This is a co-ed village and has more traditional programming than Outback, Ranch or Pathfinders.  They also have actual cabins here that are used during the school year for any overflow from the North Center.  It's also the only teen village with a fully functional kitchen and dining hall, the Frontier Lodge (14).

Frontier Lodge (14)

From here we move back into the more remote areas of the north side and visit our final teen village, which is the Pathfinders Village (15).  Pathfinders is a female teen village with accomadations a bit more rustic than those at Frontier.  All four of these teen villages have multiple get togethers during the course of their stay.

Pathfinders (15)

It's time to get back into the woods and take this trail (15) which begins our route around the west end of the lake.  This is one of the north endings for the "Round the Lake Trail.  There are also direct paths to Ranch and Outback that branch off not far from this shot.

Path from Pathfinders towards the lake (16)

There's not much along this route so we'll just skip ahead a little bit.  We eventually come to a little peninsula known as Mona's Landing (16).  This picture really doesn't do the view justice, but it's a very peacful and secluded part of camp.  This is also another one of many overnight camping spots during the summer.

View from Mona's Landing (17)

Mona is a bit of a camp legend here.  The story says that all this land was part of the homestead her father was awarded after the Civil War.  She lived here all her life and was a teacher in the nearby town.  After being widowed at a very young age, began inviting her students to visit and play on her land.  In short, that was the beginning of camp as we now know it.  All that remains of her original homestead is Mona's Basement (18).

Mona's Basement (18)

We are now on what is officially call the "Round the Lake Trail (19)."  This picture may not look like much now, but I took it because in a month or so I will show you the same area with a riot of color.

Trail near Mona's (19)

Anyway, the path skirts close to the road at one point and then travels through a rather marshy area.  Sometimes, especially in early Spring, the path is a bit of a challenge (20) to use.

Uh-Oh!! (20)

Shortly after this little episode (and yes, I did get a little wet) the path rises and follows a small ridge along the lake.  We soon come to one of my favorite places on all of camp property, which is Earl's Marsh (21).  Once again, the picture doesn't quite do it justice, but this can be a spectacular view (22).

Earl's Marsh (21)

The View from Earl's Marsh (22)

A little further along the path, we being to approach the developed areas of South Center, but first turn around for one last look along the path (23) that we've been on for the last 10-15 minutes.

A view of the lake's west end (23)

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

JBSimio

I'll bring the map back one more time, so you can reorient yourself again.

We have arrived at the South Center of camp.  Much like the North Center, this part is open all year for school groups.  The South Center actually contains the original areas of camp with portions dating back to 1918.  It retains more of it's rustic charm than the North Center does and the developed areas are a bit smaller.  I took a small detour to show you the Artesian Well (24).

Artesian Well (24)

There are actually seven such natural wells on camp, but this is the most reliable.  It's also the only one to be piped like this.  Several of the other ones are dry at the moment.

Finally, we get into the main area of the South Center and see the South Dining Hall (25).  I know, it's not the most original name, but that's what it's called.  Don't blame the messanger on this one.  There are a lot of things that are named that way around here.

South Dining Hall (25)

This is the other year round dining hall.  It's not nearly as large or grand as Malachi, but I actually like it's rustic feel better.  The South waterfront (26) is not far from it's front door.  We are now standing just above the boating area we saw from The Cove (13) (if you remember back that far!).

South Waterfront (26)

Much like Malachi, this dining hall also replaced an older and smaller building, but it happened quite a bit longer ago.  The original dining hall was built not far from here and closer to the water, but this is all that remains (27) of the first permanent building on camp.

The Old Chimney (27)

One of the interesting things about camp is how it always changes.  Look one way, see the remains of an 80 year old building.  Turn around and see the construction of a new nature center (28).

Future Nature Center (28)

We're on the last leg of our journey.  I appreciate you sticking with me so long.  This spot was another great example of how much the perspective can change depending on where you look.  The next three pictures are all taken from the same spot on the path that leads back towards my house.  First is the Rainbow Ropes Course (29).    This is the high ropes course for the South Center.  It's named after a special camp for childhood cancer fighters called Camp Catch  A Rainbow.  Turning left is a great view of another horse pasture (30).  We actually have around  130 horses here and a series of 8 or 9 interconnected pastures that they rotate through.  Finally, turn around for yet another view of the lake (31).

Rainbow Ropes Course (29)

South Horse Pasture (30)

View of the Lake (31)

Continuing down the path we pass Hill One, which is another of those many overnight camping sites scattered throughout the property.  There isn't much to see there, so we'll keep going until we come to this view from Hill Two (32).  I warned you that some of the names around here aren't that original!

View from Hill Two (32)

Finally, we come to the road where I live.  Two houses down from me is the spillway (33) which empties out from the east end of the lake.  This is actually the beginning of the entire Raisin River system in southern Michigan.

Spillway (33)

And when I come home after one of my famous 12, 14 or more hour days, I always have things like this sunset (34) to refresh my spirit.

Sunset on Stony Lake (34)

Thanks for coming along.  I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did!

RippleJet

This is a very beautyful presentation with wonderful pictures, JB! :thumbsup:
Thank you!

payce2tw

rooker1

That was a fantastic tour.  I love camping of any kind.  And canoeing......I can't wait for summer, I may take my two kids and wife canoeing in Algonquin park.  It's only about four hours north of where I live.
Those pictures of yours are very beautiful.

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Fred_Ginger

JB, what a lovely tour!  :thumbsup: Thanks!   &apls  Having spent my youth camping I don't do anything more rustic than 'Holiday Inn' or similar any more (Hey, I'm 60+ old bones and all that!), but how very nice that those facilities are available to the youth of your area! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

pvarcoe

A beautiful Spot.
Thank you for sharing it with us!

Gaston

Thanks JB for the tour.   I really enjoyed it.    I myself used to work at a YMCA camp in TN.   I was not near as big as your's seems to be.     It is called YMCA Camp Ocoee [ Linkie ]    Greatest experience of my life.   I an sure you are well aware of it.    ;D

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Pat

WOW JB i so loved the tour thank you very much for letting us see into your world.
I dont know if its me or what but pics 14 & 15 are broken.  Again thank you for
taking us around camp and it was a very pretty tour - Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

What a fabulous looking place to work and live.

I can relate- I attended YMCA Camp Eberhart near Three Rivers on Corey Lake in the mid 60s.  I loved it there, and 40 years later can still remember grounds of which your camp reminds me a great deal.

Thanks for sharing this place with us.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Colyn

Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

JBSimio

Thanks, everyone!  Glad you enjoyed it!  I forgot to mention that we had just done a series of controlled burns before I took this hike.  So that's the reason for some of the areas looking like they do.  I'm hoping to update this from time to time as the seasons change.  It was really a little early in the spring to get the full impact of some of these areas.  Unfortunately, now is the time when things start to get pretty hectic... so I can only promise to try!

Gaston:  I'm actually vaguely familiar with Camp Ocoee, although I've never been there.  From the pictures I've seen, it looks quite nice.

Pat:  I'm not sure what happened to those two pictures.  They were working fine yesterday morning, so it's probably an Image Shack thing.  I'll look into it when I get home this afternoon.

David:  Camp Eberhart sounds very familiar too, but I can't place it off hand.  I'll have to look it up and figure out why it rings such a loud bell!  I still remember the camp I attended in third and fourth grade... so much so that I went back and worked there in high school!  I'll have to make a copy of the "Parting Shot" I wrote a couple years ago at the end of summer and post it here.  It describes what you're saying quite well, I think.

JB

oldrogue

Wonderfull tour JB......looks like a great place to work....actually, bet it's not all that much like work...because I  get the feeling you enjoy it alot.
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.