• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Avenue Slip Roads/Off Ramps

Started by Tesseract, October 26, 2011, 04:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tesseract

Hi guys, I'm new to the site, So if this is in the wrong place, I'm so very sorry.

I am a vivid SC4 player, however it would not be as appealing if the NAM had not been developed. I would first like to say thank you for all your hard effort and work, it has given me so many hours of gaming enjoyment, and vastly increased the lifespan of the game.

However one thing which would make my city building life that much easier would be the inclusion of avenue 'Slip-Roads' (we call 'Off Ramps' 'Slip Roads' in England ;)). To try and get around this, I have tried to attach a One-Way Road to come off/onto the avenue, however the game does not like this, and does not allow it. All I am asking for is for one of the lanes to split off the avenue, and into a road (at 90 Degrees)... with the traffic travelling the other direction joining into that lane. I'm honestly not too sure how to explain it, but this kinda looks similar: http://g.co/maps/cdxfu and here: http://g.co/maps/uyv8g .
This should make traffic flow better, it means the cars dont stop at lights, they just peel off onto the road, Like in the following situation: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308234_10150339109973935_708188934_8081759_775160096_n.jpg .
I find that my avenue crossroads/roundabouts are plentiful, so the ability to cross the road is not really required (Its only there because the traffic would be stopped anyway), forcing them to drive that little further to turn around isnt a problem...

Now, I'm no modder, I'm honestly not sure if this is possible or not... But if there is the ability to do this, I would be extremely grateful.

Once again, Thank you for your hard work and efforts... It has made Sim City 4 a joy to play on.

Tesseract

metarvo

Welcome to SC4D, Tesseract.  The good news is that the NAM includes slip lanes now for Avenues via the TuLEPs (Turning Lane Expansion Pieces).  RHW (RealHighway) 5.0, a separate download, includes a few MIS (Modular Interchange System) offramps for Avenues if you would rather go that route.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Wiimeiser

Still waiting for a MIS to Slip Lane piece, if anyone's interested. Or at least a means to connect MIS to Roads without RHW-2.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tesseract

I appear to have missed the TuLEP's... Im not really one for spending hours making complicated road networks (I tried to get an underpass working... to no avail lol) I guess half the problem is my aim when making cities is to cram as many sims into one area as simily possible... The main effect of the NAM in my cities is that it adds better pathfinding functionality... Im going to have to mess with the roads lol. Thanks for the information. :-)

Tesseract

(P.S. The anti-bot question... 'How many hours has a day' is confusing... a day has 12 hours a day and night have 24 xD)

Korot

Off-Topic: Depends on how you define day. Here in the Netherlands we also use dag (=day) in two ways: your way, lasting 12 hours, and the most common way, 24 hours, which can also be named 'etmaal'. But, as said, the most common way is 24 hours, from midnight to midnight. Don't know anywhere where the first definition is the most common.

And back on-topic: Those slip lane pieces don't quite seem to fullfil the OP's request, it looks like, since you still need for the road to intersect the avenue, whereas his GMaps shots show that this is not the case.

Regards,
Korot

Tesseract

Quote from: Korot on October 27, 2011, 11:47:27 AM
And back on-topic: Those slip lane pieces don't quite seem to fullfil the OP's request, it looks like, since you still need for the road to intersect the avenue, whereas his GMaps shots show that this is not the case.

Yeah, I have had a good play around with the Turning Lane Extension Pieces, But the slip roads included dont really have any effect, the road which they move onto looks terrible, its almost as if the lanes need to split off when they reach the avenue, left and right. I'll post a picture when I get home to show what I mean. Thanks for the assistance!

Tesseract