• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Automata Generator Requests

Started by Swamper77, July 21, 2007, 02:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamper77

Vester is correct. The generators I create only create a certain type of traffic or place specific vehicles onto the nearby roadways. A de-generator cannot be made.

I suggest you analyze your traffic network, and make some changes to reduce the amount of traffic.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

inspecter

How about a GLR generator. I would love to see more active GLR lines.

Alex2602

Hi!
I for one like the idea of a GLR/El Rail generator as my El lines lack any life at all.  But what I am really interested in is a taxi generator.  I know that train stations generate them, but they are blky and expensive, and don't fit in well far away from the rails. 

j-dub

I noticed when I place a single airpot tile lot in my cities next to a road, that taxis seem to spawn off of those. Someone did make a Taxi gennerator on the STEX, but I don't know if it still will be there now, or if you know, the up and running thing. I didn't need it because what I just said about the single airport tile.

Alex2602

Alright then, but how about an el-train generator? I have an elevated network with hundreds of riders, but no automata. I would like to fix that

j-dub

First, it has been a while now, and I can safely say, that I have had no CTD problems when using my own plane generator, just didn't want to go public. Anyone can do it, it just requires 16x2 at least tiles safely, and is actually already a prop in the LE by Maxis, called effect_small_runway, or something. They are great for airports that don't  already have planes landing and taking off. So runway textures are needed. That only allows the one in game plane to work. Being allowed multiple airplanes, other than just the one plane would be nice. Second, it seems the regular train generator will have regular trains appear on the El-Rail, if you have a rail puzzle piece, connecting to a el-rail puzzle piece, at least it did for me. Its just that if you have any el-rail stations, the passenger trains don't proceed through. Otherwise, this looks cool. You may want to have the train mod where the El-Rail train, and passenger train have the same skin. Third, maybe taxis can be generated if you do some regular park lot, and put in the rail menu, that taxis will appear due to the behavior of the menu its in? I'm not familliar with that, but I have tried putting lots in menus of different categories, just to see the after effects of automata that didn't belong.

Alex2602

I like your idea of using the rail generator. Unfortunately, I prefer the heavy rail and light rail looking different...      As to the  taxi idea, I've done that before with the LE, but most station buildings are large and tall and have to be hidden by larger buildings.

Swamper77

I've been watching this thread and reading your ideas for generators. I will see about making some of them a reality for the players. As for size of the Lots, I usually make 1x1 Lots for the generators to run off of, so they need to be placed alongside the networks to spawn the vehicles on them. I tend to avoid transit-enabled Lots as they have a bad side effect of blocking development on the sides of the roadway networks they are placed on where the Lots are.

It will be awhile before I can make them. I have limited time in the evenings due to work and personal commitments. I'm also trying to cut down on my internet/computer hours as I spend far too much time at my computers, and that leaves me with little time to do other things that I want to do.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

zurrabear

I know this has been inactive for some time, but I'm hoping Swamper77 is still around and still interested.  No one seems to have asked for a monorail generator, and that's what I really need.

This thread at Simtrop explains why, if that's relevant:  http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=115670&forumid=1

editfish

I'd be interested also in the possibility of a helicopter generator?

Andreas

Swamper hasn't been around since almost a year, so don't keep your hopes up.
Andreas

editfish

k, thx, I won't.  I appreciate the notice.

j-dub

In the lot editor, look for this green diamond:

0x1f390000---Effect_helicopter_takeoff---

That is the effect that was designed for helicopters to go. Place it on a lot, something like a park, or whatever, save the lot, plop the lot in game, it should do something at some point.

About Swampper, thats too bad, probably gotten taken by reality, like a lot of good people on here have, I have never seen helicopters randomly fly around before, generic passenger planes on the other hand are possible from my private modding, why not helicopters. I mean, sure you have the emergency one fly around, you have the police chopper fly around, but it seems maybe if only something down is going on, thats why the police chopper takes off, I can't think otherwise. If they fly around by themselves, they usually want you to do some UDI mission, not saying helicopter generating is or is not possible, but I bet if it was done, that it would only spawn one helicopter at a time, and it might be very selective when it lifts off, where as planes, its more constant, but not massive.

Lowkee33

Whatever happened to the good ol days when the helicopter showed you where there was too much traffic? 

RippleJet

Now I'm gonna reply to a rather old post...
I never noticed it until now, when Lowkee33 posted here... &ops

Quote from: j-dub on September 23, 2010, 09:35:18 AM
In the lot editor, look for this green diamond:

0x1f390000---Effect_helicopter_takeoff---

That is the effect that was designed for helicopters to go. Place it on a lot, something like a park, or whatever, save the lot, plop the lot in game, it should do something at some point.

Only problem is that Maxis disabled that effect.
However, the effect itself is available within SimCity_1.dat.

Included in AC Functional Airports is a small file that re-enables this effect.
The effect itself is used on SimGoober's upgradeable Heliport.

Since my desktop computer with everything SC4 related is visiting the doctor at this moment,
I cannot check the name or content of that file right now...

However, it was in fact Swamper who pointed out to me how the effect was disabled
(with a * in the beginning of the effect name if I remember correctly).