• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

To lurk or not to lurk

Started by NikNik, January 19, 2007, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie

I lurk because--for lack of a better term--it's slow here at SC4D. Not that the servers lag or anything, but because it's a small (growing) site and there's not many conversations that I feel I can take part in.

It feels like a farm. Quiet, comfortable. I like sitting back and relaxing, catching up on CJ's now and then. Think of it as sitting on the front porch and watching the sky set. It's very peaceful. No need for many words.

However, on other forums I'm registered on, I have well over 1,500 posts (about 20 a day) in less than a month because it's the kind of site that you just have to join the conversation. It's active, lively, and busy (about 1400 people online all the time). It's the kind of site that you just can't help but post.

I'm more laid-back and quiet here.

dragonshardz

yeah, that's kinda the feeling i get as well. the site is very relaxed, and doesn't have a feeling of "hurry, hurry" like the other two sites i am registered on do. i've already posted in this forum, but its all good.

SizzlaKalongi

Greetings,

yeah, I second that Eddie and Dragonshardz. I learn more sitting back in the background reading the cj's and experimenting.

vistla

It is better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up, and remove all doubt.

Pat

lol thats a funnie one vistla

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

vistla

It's not as funny as the old Illuminatti motto; "Silence is golden".

dragonshardz

beauti ful vistla, i'm putting that in my signature.

thundercrack83

Quote from: vistla on August 26, 2007, 11:33:43 PM
It is better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up, and remove all doubt.

That's a good one, my friend! I've heard it before, but with a different (and more inappropriate) word than fool!

Madeira aka Constantina

once i joined this site i have fallen in love with it people because there are not many sites about simcity 4 that are so busy.

registering in this site resulted in my unique signature.

existenz

Well I'm a lurker mainly because I only bought SC4 + RH 3 weeks ago. I had to reinstall everything after 3 days of downloading because I was too eager and stupid to check each and every single readme so had lots of brown boxes!
Just spent the last two weeks redownloading and am almost glad I have come to SC4 late as there is so much new content - ie Simgoobers new Mega stuff (Thanks Barby &apls) Because of the amount of content I have DL'ed I havent had time to play until yesterday ( YAY no brown boxes)
I spent the last two weeks also learning heaps from everyone, reading CJ's (especially 3RR and Ensenada) Great one guys ()stsfd() SO when I learn how to play I might start posting more - may even learn to bat/lot/mod.
I have lurked and posted in other forums mainly Tilted Mill as I play COTN and have made a scenario or two for that game. I love research mainly I like to be well informed before I make a comment. Will get back to comment on some if not most of my D/Ls from this site but in the meantime I am amazed at the creativity and talent here on this site and will continue to lurk and maybe post occasionally. So thank you to everyone who have made this site a great place to sit back and enjoy a cuppa while learning. :)
Annie

Thundercry

Hello, My name is thundercy, and I am a recovering lurker.

fernby

Welcome thundercry. I laughed so much i snorted my coke out of my nose.
You are reading the sig of a SC4D Citizen.

JoeST

I lurk but only because everybody else is too slow in replying
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

callagrafx

Quote from: fernby on October 07, 2007, 04:57:50 AM
Welcome thundercry. I laughed so much i snorted my coke out of my nose.

I do so very much hope you meant this:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

sithlrd98

I lurk mainly because I usually don't have much to contribute more than what already has. I will help someone if I know the answer , but usually I like looking at all the pretty pictures. :P

Thanks Cal...I'm thirsty!

fernby

Quote from: callagrafx on October 14, 2007, 04:25:42 AM
I do so very much hope you meant this:

yes, i meant the drink, not the illegal white powder.  kids, don't do drugs.

Pat

Oooooh man i should come around here more often for a  good laugh.....   :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

fernby

Quote from: patfirefghtr on October 14, 2007, 07:42:54 PM
Oooooh man i should come around here more often for a  good laugh.....   :D

just don't be drinkin' coke when you do, otherwise it might come out your nose. I speak from experience.... unfortunately.

Pat

LoL i will heeed that warning lol

xxdita

Well, I have been lurking around here for the last 6 weeks or so, just trying to catch up. I have joined other sites, but never paid attanetion to the boards, because of not knowing anything at all about modding/batting/lotting. Really, I'm just in awe of it all. From the smallest things, like a set of adult billboards for my seedier districts, to the game- (and almost life-)altering CAM.
Like many, I don't feel a need to post unless I have something I believe is useful. If I have a question, then I try to read any threads where it may already have been answered before asking, so that people don't get tired of repeating themselves. There are few problems that I can actually help with, considering I'm only a player.
For the threads here where people are showing their latest works, all I can say is "Ooooh I want that..." But that won't speed up the release. It'll be finished when it's finished. Any ideas I would have for a building or a lot have probably already been made.
So I will continue lurking. Waiting ever-so patiently for projects like the Plaza Mall, anything SimGoober, all things BTE enabled (which I LOVE, but will probably never really understand), and everything else all of you people do to make my game better every day.
But I will at least try to give feedback when I can, just so all of you batters, lotters, and modders know that somebody is out there appreciating your works.