• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Viceroyalty of Perseus

Started by belfastsocrates, May 17, 2014, 06:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belfastsocrates

Following the granting of land to the Passau City Corporation in 1810, significant efforts were made to establish the area as a major centre of commerce, only a small amount of the early Georgian commerical buildings remain and are focused on the area to the east of the Perseus National Library.

Most of the original buildings were demolished by the Victorians and Edwardians and replaced by soaring and massive office buildings and warehouses. The area was home to the first purpose-build office building in Perseus and came complete with fire-proof rooms and staircases as it was the headquarters of the Pearl Insurance Company and was designed to be entirely fire-proof to avoid losing records.

A lot of the Victorian buildings were themselves demolished by Edwardian architects whom were influenced by the Chicago School. They built some of the tallest buildings in Europe and Atlantica-Alba and helped cement Passau's reputation as a leading commercial centre. Art Deco played a significant influence in buildings construction or redeveloped from the 1930's, Illford's commercial district retains a lot of those buildings and the area is recognised for it's Art Deco architecture which has been beautifully maintained and is now protected.

In 1965 the commercial district of Illford area was listed as an area of significant architectural merit and afforded enhanced protections to protect against demolitions. The area was therefore spared from the architectural vandalism of the 1960's and 70's that other districts of Passau did not escape and was subsequently corrected

Replies

@vortext - Thank you. Yeah I'd love some end-terrace buildings that match the terraces but until then I'll have to make do with a little park/paved area. I think it looks OK though, I'm glad you think so as well.

@romualdillo - You're too kind. This is such a massive WIP, been years in the making and still so much to do.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

benedict

Beautiful update. I think you have the mix of buildings just right.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

Gayowulf

Well, color me impressed -- this is a gorgeous MD!

If I may be so bold as to ask, what are the parks around the Atlantean High Commission and Imperial Courts of Justice? Specifically, these ones:

Did you custom-lot those, or can they be downloaded somewhere?
Goodness me, it's been a while.
Once upon a (very long) time (ago) I was working on Calidore: A Steampunk Experiment... maybe that will happen again someday.

If you're thinking I used to have a different name on here... I did. It still me!

belfastsocrates

Quote from: Alafel on October 28, 2014, 05:31:57 PM
Well, color me impressed -- this is a gorgeous MD!

If I may be so bold as to ask, what are the parks around the Atlantean High Commission and Imperial Courts of Justice? Specifically, these ones:

Did you custom-lot those, or can they be downloaded somewhere?

Thank you very much, I'm really pleased you enjoy it.

As for the lots, they were created by a wonderful lotter and MD author called Strechnitz, he created them about 6/7 years ago or so. I think he might have also created some of the grass textures as well. We worked together on a few things and he sent me the lots to amend and use as I wished in-game. I honestly can't remember about the smaller garden behind the High Commission, I think it might be part of that same package but I'm not sure.

I never had, or sought, permission to distribute them myself so I wouldn't be able to make them available without his permission as he was the initial creator.

I can however if you like make some similar gardens. I'd just need to know what size, style and content you'd like. I'd need to keep them relatively simple as I have an absolutely vast plugins, textures and props folder and I wouldn't want to fill the lots with older content that you may not have or be able to find. However, I can certainly create some for you to use and/or amend yourself in LE using some of the newer props and textures available.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

belfastsocrates

Passau's Illford District is home to the internationally renowned University Of Passau, a seat of Persusian learning for over 200 years. The University of Passau's campus is primarily concentrated across the Illford District and is the largest university in Perseus and its most prestigious.

200 years of growth and development have resulting in a varied campus encompassing a range of architectural styles and each area of the large campus has a distinct character. That development continues to this day with major capital projects, such as a new center of sporting excellence, under construction.

The University of Passau dominates life in the Illford District and the diverse student population contributes greatly to what is one of Passau's most culturally vibrant areas and to the city itself.

The so-called 'University Island', officially known as Carrick Island, is an island located in the River Carrick. Up until 1815 it was a large sandbank, the result of sediment build-up in the largely tidal Carrick River. The Passau City Corporation began reclamation work in 1815 and created a new area for development. The University of Passau were the first to acquire land and commence construction, the first buildings to be completed were the new University of Passau Science Library and Gregson Camera

Mosaic Full Size

The next few updates will look at 'University Island in more detail

I'll also post the replies in the next update. Thank you to everyone that continues to comment, they're much appreciated

compdude787

That island looks really nice! Great work, and I really love those seawalls! I'd say they're among my favorites out of all the seawalls made for SC4.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

vortext

Excellent island and great building selection too!  :thumbsup:

btw, you may be interested in a little tweak I made to JENX quays some time ago in order to tone down the brightness of the pavement. Simply replace JENXPARIS_QS_Sidewalk_S3D with this file and the quay pavement will be a near perfect match with the sidewalk.  ;)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

belfastsocrates

Quote from: vortext on November 03, 2014, 08:59:31 AM
Excellent island and great building selection too!  :thumbsup:

btw, you may be interested in a little tweak I made to JENX quays some time ago in order to tone down the brightness of the pavement. Simply replace JENXPARIS_QS_Sidewalk_S3D with this file and the quay pavement will be a near perfect match with the sidewalk.  ;)

Oh my goodness....thank you! I'll load that tonight. The contrast has been annoying me but I didn't want to revert to Marrast's embankments.

I haven't had the chance to play about with your new textures just yet, so apologies for a lack of feedback on those. I'm going to start reworking Passau's Old Quarter and refresh it. As it's primarily Dutch influenced I'll send you some images for feedback and criticism if that's OK?

vortext

Thought you might like that. :) No worries over the textures, haven't worked on them in a while anyway. Feedback is always appreciated so feel free to send some pics.
time flies like a bird

romualdillo

That's what I call a Campus!!!  &apls

belfastsocrates

Quote from: romualdillo on November 04, 2014, 08:21:37 AM
That's what I call a Campus!!!  &apls

Thank you  :) Thanks for taking the time to comment also, it means a lot.

That's just a teaser ;) The rest of the university sprawls across the Illford District, more to come over the coming weeks and months :)

Ohhh..Vorext, thanks for the file. I'm MUCH happier with the quay paving textures now. :)

noahclem

Excellent work organizing those green, blue, and plaza spaces  &apls

belfastsocrates

On the 11th November 2014 the Viceroyalty of Perseus stopped to mark Armistice Day and remember the thousands of Persusian nationals that died fighting tyranny in the First and Second World Wars.

The tributes were led by His Imperial Highness Prince Julius who led a wreath at the National Cenotaph in Passau he was joined by the Governor-General of Perseus, leaders of Perseus' political parties, Ambassadors from Commonwealth Nations and European nations as well as the Ambassadors from Ireland and Germany, the former appearing for the first time at the National Cenotaph.

Two minutes of silence was observed across the nation at 11.00 and was ended by the firing of canons across the nation in Imperial Parks and Residences.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

romualdillo

belfastsocrates

The Gregson Camera

The Gregson Camera was one of the first two buildings to be completed on University Island. Both buildings were completed in November 1830 and were dedicated by His Majesty King William IV whom was undertaking a visit to the British colony following his succession to the throne in June.

The new library building was commissioned by Sir Michael Gregson, the Chancellor of the University of Passau at the time, and was paid for as the result of a gift from Lord Beersbridge, a University alumnus and long-time benefactor of the University. Sir Michael Gregson died before the library was completed and it was decided to name it in his honour.

The Gregson Camera is the earliest surviving example in Perseus of a circular library. It is built in three main stages externally and two stories internally, the upper one containing a gallery. The ground stage is heavily rusticated and has a series of eight pedimented projections alternating with niches. The central stage is divided into bays by coupled Corinthian columns supporting the continuous entablature. The pedimented windows stand above mezzanine openings, reflecting the interior arrangement. The top stage is a lanterned dome on an octagonal drum, with a balustraded parapet with vases.

The building has retained its role as a reading room and library but it now houses some of the University of Passau's most important and priceless books, manuscripts and archived records.

REPLIES

@benedict - Thank you Ben, great to have you stop by and I'm pleased you liked it.

@compdude787 - They're fantastic seawalls, I agree, they've become my favourite as well. Thank you very much for your kind comments also.

@vortext - Thank my friend. I so pleased you liked it and thank you again for the texture file. The seawalls look so much better now

@noahclem - I'm pleased you enjoyed it, hopefully you like the updates that show more detail of the island.

@romualdillo - Thank you so much, I'm so pleased you liked it. I really enjoyed making that image, was just a quick and small way for me to mark Armistice Day given the sacrifice they made so that I could enjoy living in a modern, peaceful and prosperous Europe.

belfastsocrates

The University of Passau's Biomedical and Life Sciences Campus is a recognised global centre of excellence and the focus of the University's research activities as well as being home to the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Biomedical and Biological Sciences. It's also home to the renowed Institute for Global Food Security, Centre for Advanced Materials Research, Nanotechnology Research Centre and the Life Sciences Core Technology Centre.

Click here for the full size

vortext

That's an impressive university! Also great work with the diagonals along the waterfront.  &apls
time flies like a bird

Themistokles

That looks like a nice university, all the greenery makes it and the rest of the area look really good!  :thumbsup: But wait, the tram-in-road bridge... where have the connecting roads gone? :P

Honestly though, this seems to be a really pleasant part of the city, and I'm eager to see where that tram line goes!
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

belfastsocrates

Quote from: Themistokles on November 23, 2014, 10:43:51 PM
But wait, the tram-in-road bridge... where have the connecting roads gone? :P

They're tar-maced cycle lanes ;) lol

We really need some attractive GLR bridges in-game.

romualdillo