• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Transit problems. Suburb doesnt reach downtown. Population only uses buses.

Started by TobiasBR, September 10, 2007, 10:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobiasBR

Hi everyone,

my name is Tobias and i'm from Germany. Because i like latin america, i started last year to build Bogotá in SimCity. I have an atlas that shows the social situation in poor medium and rich and the infrastructure of this city. Anyway!

First, I planned everything, the commercial center and the suburbs, the highways and the train lines. Then I started building.

Now, my city has 1,5 millions of population, I have 21 city parts (citymaps). The problem now is, that the habitants dont drive into downtownto work. I have in the commercial center many buildings which can't be requested by the way-tool. It dont show a way.

I changed NAM's traffic_plugin.dat and at last i have the radical file installed. It doesn't help. Then i modified the file with the reader: the commute trip max time is set to 320, and the speed is multiplied by 10.
Additionally i changed the bus speed to:
500.000000,0.000000,800.000000,350.000000,0.000000,0.000000,600.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,550.000000,700.000000,800.000000

and the driving speed to:
500.000000,0.000000,1200.000000,300.000000,0.000000,0.000000,700.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,600.000000,800.000000,1200.000000

And another example:
In my picture you can see the city in the north - "El progreso" where a hightech industrial district is. The habitants of "Uni-Centro" - two cities in the south, dont travel to "El progreso". In Uni-Centro existst $$$-Population, that can't find work - a highway and a train connection exists.

And the population mostly uses buses now, I'm afraid they use them too much. It's difficult to find a traveler by car.

My questions summarised:
-How can I set NAM's traffic_plugin.dat that the suburbs can reach the center of my city or the working districts?
-How can I set NAM's traffic_plugin.dat, that the population uses more cars. It is too unrealistic, that everybody uses buses.
-Is it possible to manipulate the starting costs of traveling to solve the second question?

Thanks for helping me...

Tobias

Crissa

Wow, I'd love that problem.  I can't get anyone to use busses ^-^

-Crissa

Indisguise

well if i read the setting correctly you editted the bus speeds, and road capsity  so it's so fast( I think) sims ingore the other transit  ...so to go along with this, you should try larger capsity bus stations  :thumbsup:...there are plenty on the LEX, ones from game stats to super radical, depends on your personel playing style, the one you want to use, too many to list here.

I don't see a lot of different type of rail..might try one of the many types of rail for long halls. mono rail , GLR, Subways, HSR  you could mod them as well so sims will use them to go along with the bus and car speeds and capasity.

"$Deal"$
avoid changing the stats of already established bus station in a city (say like the Maxis one), A: the  stats won't change til you buldoze the old bus station and replop the new one  anyways, and game does wacky this when you mod plopables in a saved city and you re open it :bomb:

As for seeing more cars ...you'll be looking for the "automata" file , theres several...you be looking for the "radical 24hr" one, the readme does cover this I'm sure theres a german version of the NAM, sure one of our german user could provide a link (I don't spek german, sorry)

you have to download the new prop transport atomata files for diffent types of buses  to appear in your city, this would also include cars, trains, planes etc etc....too many to list
Colossus X-rated

TobiasBR

Thank you for the answer.
It isn'T nessesary to build bigger bus stops...my sims uses them, even they are used by 1000%.  :o

Quotewell if i read the setting correctly you editted the bus speeds, and road capsity  so it's so fast( I think) sims ingore the other transit
Yes, if possible, they only use buses, but if there isn't the possibility, they drive by car.

QuoteI don't see a lot of different type of rail..might try one of the many types of rail for long halls. mono rail , GLR, Subways, HSR  you could mod them as well so sims will use them to go along with the bus and car speeds and capasity.
I have a big rail system in my city. And i have some subway/GLR lines, but not under every street because of the realistism. I never used monorail in SimCity and i dont use it in Bogotá because this city hasnt this type of transport.
I think, i will change the traffic_plugin to really normal settings. But it is important, that I dont "destroy" everything with the new settings. I have to think about it and to appraise undifficult values. Maybe someone can halp me here - Has anybody some modded settings in his NAM's traffic_plugin.dat, which allow a transit via 3-4 citys?

QuoteAs for seeing more cars ...you'll be looking for the "automata" file , theres several...you be looking for the "radical 24hr" one, the readme does cover this I'm sure theres a german version of the NAM, sure one of our german user could provide a link (I don't spek german, sorry)
I know about this, but only seeing isnt enough for me ;). I want that the highways are used correctly, when I request the way tool. I builded very big arterial roads and i want to see them in realistic use ()stsfd().
At some neighbor-connections I see that 16000 use buses and only 300 use cars. This is too unrealistic.

But the buses arent so important, the most important thing is that the sims can work 2 or 3 citys far away from their houses.

• I found out that it doesnt work if i only set the commute trip max time to a high value (I tried 220 - 2200 Minutes is a lot!).
  • By the way Max Mass Transit Strategy Trip Length is 80
  • Higher Speeds don't work too because everybody only uses buses (and not through 2-3 or more citys).
  • I set the pathfinding heuristic to 0.05 (i have a very new computer) - i cant see an effect
Anybody have more ideas how to get sims of the suburbs into the unused working places in downtown?
Is there a relation to the "Commute Times Ten Bug" --> http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=147&threadid=76157&enterthread=y

Indisguise

the x10 comute helps sims find jobs deeper into the next city without extending the comute time too long all the time, game basicly works on the idea of sims enter city and find closest avaliable job, but when determining where the sims comute  the game seems to use the farthest possible spot when comuters exit the city your playing and seek jobs in the surrounding cities, I believe adds to the comute times of the sims leaving to other cities (some feel the x10 comute bug doesn't exist)

you can have sims travel across 4 large cities to find jobs, or at least thats as far as i could get them to go personelly on normal settings. Sort have to also trick the sims to travel this far by manipulating the zoning and where the jobs are.
speed settings would be the most important factor in determining farther comutes the higher the speeds the farther they will travel. If your desire is to have sims comuting such great distances.

You might want to check up on the eternal comuter glitch thats in the game...seems a little bit more with he CAM mod but still exists in the original game. personelly I don't recomend such long comutes because of this problem.
Colossus X-rated