• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

J-spec 2011 Mod. - New GUI, new tilesets

Started by jigsaw, August 14, 2011, 04:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigsaw

J-Spec 2011 New GUI beta. (work in progress)
I have been working on this on and off for a year, it's delayed due to my very busy RL.
Aim: to change as much of the game as possible, for a refreshing new look. If we are not going to get a new game, let's make this one look like a new game, and act like a new game.

Part 1: the NEW GUI

inspired by the Black Menu available on a Japanese site, i decided to even further and try to create a glass looking menu. The Japanese version simply colours over the original GUI, in my mod i have actually reshaped, remade and hand drawn a lot of it. This version is still a work in progress, as this one was to learn how it works. Unfortunately, i will have to dig deeper into the games files to fix some of the shortcomings, at the same time attempt to modify a little bit more of the game. there is an awful lot involved, as the game relies on Vanilla GUI for Deluxe version.

Before anyone complains, i want to point out that i know very little about graphics/effects. I have had to learn a lot about it as i have gone along. An awful lot of trial and error has occurred to get this far.

What i have done so far is modified the menu 'screens' only. At this stage im experimenting with new buttons.

The final version is planned to be smoother, sharper and will have the errors removed. This will take time, and may require a completely start from scratch approach. I have some experiments to run at this stage to answer some questions, but this mod is more complex then i thought it would be when i first set off, but it's interesting to say the least.

Part 2: 2011 tilesets.

Last year i released a 2010 tileset mod that changed the names of the tilesets, removing the more "Americanised" factory version to a more relevant variety. It seems popular, as it has been downloaded quite a lot. This time around, i have changed it again to focus on a timeline. This will enable builders to re-arrange their collections to be built in a sequence of centuries. I have thought about this and i think this is the best way forward judging by common themes of CJ's, BAT's etc seen the last 9yrs.

I have discussed on SC4devotion about "SUB-Tileset Theory" that could possibly be used to even split the 4 main tilesets up even further, by utilising the densities as sub-themes.

Example: 19th Century tileset could be split up to : W2W paris (hi-density), Mediterranean (Med-Density) and Common (Low-Density). In theory, this would allow 12 tilesets to be organised within the game.

Why have i released it imcomplete?

1.   Time, and lack of it. It's taken me a year to get this far, and will probably need another year at this rate to complete it on my own.
2.   Skills. I dont think i could pull off changing all the buttons in the Menus to a good quality.
3.   Hurdles/Bugs. More eyes can see more errors.
4.   Inspiration. I hope to get more people onboard to see if this has a future within the community, as this is a major reason why im making it. Im making it for the whole community, as a form of contribution after all these years of using other people's work.

These are the problems i have come across this far:

Font Colour. I want to change it, and RippleJet has shown me where to do it, but when i try to change it does not work. I must be missing something and i would love someone with greater skills to help.

Buttons. I have an idea to change them to be more like Apps icons on Iphones. (We could even make them full colour if we wish, but i need an artist or artists to help me with this).

All intreseted people please download the file, play with it, and help me get this going.

Until then, thank you

Jigsaw

my NEWSIMCITY4 project

an open letter to the best SC4 modders and gurus on this forum:

Im stuck and i am seeking any help i can get in regards to changing the font. i have had so much help from the forum, but im asking for more. the part of the simcity1.dat which appears to allow changes to font will not let me change it. i have tried, based on advice sought, but im asking for people that are more skilled than i am to please help, and see if they can change the font colour.

thank you.
insert signature here