• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

HRS (Highway Re-Styling) Project

Started by MandelSoft, June 05, 2008, 12:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

Warrior, do you have a picture of your reverting transition? I thought Mrtnrln made the diagonals that way on purpose, because the shoulder merges into it. As for making the normal lanes wider, wouldn't the 2 outer paths need to be moved to match the lanes? It looks like the shoulder, could be moved 3 pixels away, but as for the lane space getting widened, it seems like a lot to do. I agree, considering how MAXIS made the size of busses, the highway lanes are too close together, and they bump each other on the curves.

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Haljackey

Warrior:  I am no transit modding expert, but wouldn't increasing the space between the lanes require re-pathing?  If they weren't re-pathed, then cars will not be driving in the middle of the lane.

mrtnrln:  Great work!  I have one simple request (like the RHW signs you did)
-Is it possible to make a release with the concrete median included?  Most of my Maxis highways are tight urban thoroughfares, and seeing them without a median would look out of place.  I too dislike the median, but I think it is better than nothing.

Best,
-Haljackey

j-dub

Well Mrtnrln think you could do it? A shoulder, and a median wall? Maybe making a new t21 cement wall prop could do that, or the guard rails you made?

Jonathan

Quote from: Haljackey on June 09, 2008, 05:47:13 PM
Warrior:  I am no transit modding expert, but wouldn't increasing the space between the lanes require re-pathing?  If they weren't re-pathed, then cars will not be driving in the middle of the lane.

Yes they would but it shouldn't be too hard, but even if change was only slight you might not have to at all.

EDIT: Just thought of something, wider shoulder on diagonals?

MandelSoft

@Warrior: First, the transistions aren't done yet. And second, if I make the normal lanes wider, Then I must re-path the whole network, and I don't know how to do that. For this sort of reasons I'll need help. Third, I cant make the shoulders larger on the diagionals, Then it would fall out of the 16x16 region (I guess you know where I'm talking about).

@Haljackey: Just like the RHWAM, this can be done later.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

toxicpiano

Is it really necessary to repath the entire network? That would be a hell of a lot of work. Surely you could just keep the lane size the same?
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

Haljackey

mrtnrln:  Of course! Take your time...

toxicpiano:  I agree.  Its too much work for little gain IMO. 

Monorail Master

I know a good idea. For the HRS, some how make a double-decker(2-floor) freeway system? Like place the ground freeway right under the Elevated freeway and blend the on/off-ramps togeather. So in all, make a 16-lane freeway system that only takes up 2 tiles. Also put the lights on top or on the sides of the double-decker. After that, you can hopefully or someone else can make a Double-decker bridge like the San Fransisco Bay Bridge.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Swamper77

Even if the second deck was added, the highway would still have the same capacity as it does now (as per default or your choice of plugins). Adding more lanes or decks will not increase capacity.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

j-dub

It would still look cool. That might be complicated just for looks though.

MandelSoft

@Monorail Master : Double decker networks also needs to be repathed. That will be a lot of work and still, Maxis highways will ALWAYS take up two tiles.

nerdly_dood

What I'd like to see is an American-style yellow line on the side of the lanes that has opposing traffic.  Otherwise, this is a great project. (Who knows, I know a little about modding - I might be able to make the yellow line myself)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

MandelSoft

@Nerdly_dood: That's exactly the reason why I need people to do some texturing.

I'm still working on it! I hope I can show some new stuff today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Here are some new screenshots:

A new look! (using SA's RHW textures) And a closed median.

The 'smooth' curve. This took me hours (moving every vertex manually in the reader) and it's still not perfect.

The first modded exit/entrance

Best,
Maarten

j-dub

Wow, this is very wierd, its almost like looking at a differnent RHW.
Nerdly dood, I think what your visualizing would be if Death to Pumpkins/Video Seans texture was used for this, because if Shadow Assassins textures could be used for this. Mrtnrln, what you have here is a major improvement, and I can tell it was time consuming. The original tight curve you have there doesn't look that tight, good job. So I don't know if the yellow line is worth it to do all the extra work, but you could ask Death to Pumpkins, because it is just a yellow line, although their RHW texture with the yellow line on the black asphalt was no where the same to SA's Euro texture. That maybe what you all want.

ehbk2006

Sexy stuff, are those concrete dividers or just filled stripes?
My BAT Showcase: ehbk2006's traffic BAT's
My sketchup models on the 3d warehouse.
[RDY]: Veolia - Coal hopper + E189

JanYpe

Lurker Extraordinaire

nerdly_dood

I know that DTP has a RHW mod out there, and it is AWESOME, but it doesn't affect Maxis highways at all - which is what this mod is all about.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

flame1396

Hmm.... I like this. The textures are too black right now though... Is it possible to ahve normal default textures colors and jsut have the shoulder and no walls?
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

toxicpiano

I like this. It means that the RHW and original highway will fit perfectly together, if RHW doesn't replace the old one completely.
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.