• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Canal Addon Mod (CAN-AM)

Started by daeley, April 23, 2009, 11:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoV Liberty

The CAN-AM has been released!

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

miggoycor

&mmm  :'( Why can' we use both canals? I happen to use them both.  :(
φ    =    1+√(5)
                ---------

≈ 1.6180339887

RebaLynnTS

Is there a way to make a generic version that can work with any canals (as long as you have the correct overhanging pieces).

It would not be very hard for me to make the needed pieces for my set.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

IsaacTham

Are there any more CAN-AM puzzle pieces (e.g. the curved walls) that will be coming out? And is there such thing as a filler lot (no boat path, no wall, just water)?

Andreas

All CAN-AM pieces are basically just water with ferry paths on it. For making curves and such, just use the regular canal lots by SimGoober. Also, at the moment, we're just at the beginning - more pieces (and different styles) will come eventually. :)
Andreas

Tilarium

Haven't had a chance to place with the CAN-AM yet (stupid work!) but had a few questions that I wasn't sure on.  Do the pieces function to allow traffic (for lack of a better term) to go in both directiosn like a street or road or are they like one-way roads in that I need to place one for each direction?  Also, was wondering how it does bridges and such.  Guessing you'd need an elevated bridge instead of the the ground level bridge pieces that come with the canal set.  Also!  Do the road connections actually work good?  Excited to give this a try... though I have to figure out how to fit it into my pre-existing cities with no canals...

BarbyW

The CAN-AM lots set on the LEX contains a Readme with a tutorial on using the system. I has detailed information on making bridges over the canals with the built in water piece.
Currently only the lots etc for simgoober's canals are available but eventually the ones for the CAL remastered ones will be released. Other canal styles may follow later.
Currently each canal water style is mutually exclusive so a generic piece cannot be made.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

daeley

The post at the top needs to be updated (and I will do this eventually) but in the meanwhile the link Barby posted also contains a detailed guide on how to set up the CAN-AM in your cities.

The reason the different canal sets are mutually exclusive is because that was the easiest way to do it. Since we'd rather spend time making more pieces than copy-pasting RULs to make an additional style, this is how we implemented it. It's not a perfect solution but should be adequate enough for most people. In fact, with the current way it's set up, each different canal style still needs a lot of work because waterbus terminals need to be created.

In any case, if you use different canal sets in different cities, you can switch the installed version when starting up Simcity (Intall one style, make a backup copy of the CAN-AM props file in NetworkAddonMod/plugins and install the other style with the NAM installer. Now you can schoose styles by switching the CAN-AM props file). If you use both canals in the same city, you can still plop lots of one set and use the CAN-AM for the other style. Unfortunately only one style will be functional in this case.

I hope that answers a few questions.
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Terring7

Quote from: BarbyW on June 23, 2009, 12:37:00 AMOther canal styles may follow later.

Good news, because i use the Oppie's canals :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

joelyboy911

I'm sorry if this has already been explained, but how is it that the automata works?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

BarbyW

Quote from: joelyboy911 on June 23, 2009, 01:15:34 AM
I'm sorry if this has already been explained, but how is it that the automata works?

Magic ;D

Diggis

Quote from: joelyboy911 on June 23, 2009, 01:15:34 AM

The weight of the boat displaces water, but the air in the boat means it doesn't sink and floats on top.  Small motors inside propel the boats along the canal.  It's brilliant I tell you.  :D

JoeST

Quote from: Diggis on June 23, 2009, 04:44:08 AM
The weight of the boat displaces water, but the air in the boat means it doesn't sink and floats on top.  Small motors inside propel the boats along the canal.  It's brilliant I tell you.  :D
So no jets? or aerofoils? :(

$%Grinno$%
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Diggis

Wow, Daeley, this is wicked.  I haven't actually played with it to date because of RL, but I took some time today and I love it:

FrankU

Hey, this is weird!

Diggis, how did you blend Simgoobers canals with your ponds? I thought the water texture was completely different?

And another thing: as I placed the CCPW medium terminal the water textures were missing.
Of course I had all the dependencies and the new NAM installed.
Is there something wrong with me or with the lot?

I like the CAN-AM very much! It's great work.

BarbyW

I have checked the Newman Inc CCPW Medium Ferry Stop in LE and cannot find a problem with the lot. I also checked in SC4Tool and the prop with the water included is definitely in BSC MEGA Props Newman Inc Vol02
I shall do another check with just the listed dependencies for that lot in plugins.

Diggis

Quote from: FrankU on June 24, 2009, 01:01:31 AM
Hey, this is weird!

Diggis, how did you blend Simgoobers canals with your ponds? I thought the water texture was completely different?

Nah, it's Lee's canals.  I've rerendered my models to have Lee's texture so they blend nicely.  I will admit to Photoshopping SG's canal stops to have the same water.  ;)

joelyboy911

Thank you for those lovely explanations. However, what I wanted to know was, how did those little waterbusses come to be? Do they replace ferry automata in-game? Are they generated by a special lot as are the trams from the tram museum? Are they UDI capable? (I haven't tested yet, as I have not downloaded the Canal sets - due to a slow connection).
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

BarbyW

I have rechecked the Newman Inc Medium Ferry Stop using the one that is in the installer plus only the dependencies listed for that lot. I checked in LE and in game and had no problem.

FrankU

So I have to recheck... There is indeed a slight chance that I forgot to move the BSC MEGA Props Newman Inc Vol02 into my plugins....That would be stupid of me.

And Diggis: so you do have CAL's canals for the CAN-AM? I understood that they were named in the NAM-installation, but were not actually there, so I chose SG's canals.... Did I understand wrong? Is it so that Cal's canals are there, but that installation is not recommended, because the terminals aren't ready yet?
I could live with the wrong water texture on the terminals when it is known that the right ones will will be available within some weeks...