• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

mrb's Challenge 7

Started by mrbisonm, April 25, 2010, 07:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

Challenge 7

I did it!!!!.....;)

I had to update and do my challenge 7 before I upload the Challenge 7 judgements. So here is my Challenge 7.

Geez, I must say, unless you haven't played the Challenges, they seem quite easy.....lol....which is only an illusion though. This was another hard one for me, making and growing some natural looking industries and a commercial service and office center. Not easy at all.
My town is not that big yet, hardly over 150 K and spred over three medium tiles. In one of those tiles I have all the industries in the region.
Here they are, 3 pictures and in view 2, 4 and 5 respectively. First the View 2 overlook of the whole industrial park which is just ouside the west of the town. You can see that the variety is great, I had to destroy and regrow a lot of them not to get the boring repeated pattern, plus I plopped a good 20 to 30% to make it even look more versatile. There are a lot of unique custom Nexis Lots and BATs in there also.

pic1

This one is in view 4, a closer shot of my Copper-Minetowers, which is quite a big BAT (from my MD) on a big Lot.

pic2

Then the closest picture of partially of my garbage recycling facility (also from my MD, but used differently there)) and some other manufacturing. I thought it would be a nice picture for the close-up of my industries.

pic3

Now we go and have a look at the Commercial Center of my town, the one that was hardest to create because most of it is grown. Only a very small percentage is plopped landmarks. The first one is in view 2 to see the whole area of my commercial Center. I did my possible not to make it too darn squarelooking and with symmetrical roads, but I used a lot of unsymmetrical ways to lay my roads and streets to make it more real looking as possible.

pic4

The view 4 of this picture shows us almost the middle of the commercial district.

pic5

...and this is in view 5, just the northern part of the Center, where the Restaurants meet the residentials only one block further up.

pic6

Because my town isn't that big (only a little bigger than 150K) I thought I wouldn't make a big Central Park. I know the size of it is maybe a little smaller than expected, but I thought for that size of town, it would be just the perfect size in my opinion. Not much of a park, but more of a young and old playground, it is situated just on the border of the residentials and the industrial park divided by a treeline to keep the view of the industrials out of sight. The view is 4.

pic7

Now, for resources I have thought about a lot and by playing my MD *The Winding River Project* , where I have built a giant sawmill, I had the idea to use the same for the GRV II challenge. My major resource in this region is forests, therefore logs and lumber production. This sawmill is something like a modular set that I have created last winter, new lots and BATs, not yet available yet, but I hope I will be able to make something useful with one day to upload it.
So, the number one resource in my GRV is lumber production and presented here with this sawmill situated right in the middle of the industrial Park.

pic8

pic9

The second resource is the discovery of oil near the river. It wasn't too long when a whole refinery was built right where the rigs and pumps are, and it wasn't too long before nature was spoiled.

pic9a

pic9b

The big farming community is on the northside of my Region, not as big as one could imagine, it is only a village of some 600 population , a little spred out like in real life and surrounded by different sized farms that produce different agricultural products. Again most of these lots are custom lots by myself.

pic10

pic11

So, if you judge my challenge 7, wait until I have judged yours later this week and follow the instructions on how to judge in the Challenge 7 thread.
Thanks, and hope you liked it.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

jmyers2043

Here are my points for challenge 7 

1. Industrial Park - 4 - I like zoning early industry close to the R$ Sims. They love to work in dirty industry and don't complain about things like pollution, parks, and don't care for the police (they have their own ways on how to deal with trouble makers). Nope - R$ can get along just fine without all them modern conveniences. And it is those Sims who will be the first to move into your new city/region. So I tend to intermix blocks of industry commercial, and residential assuming that a town started small at a cross road, where two rivers merge, or at a rail line whistle stop. My towns always revolve around some feature like that and build out from there. 

But the goal was to have a grungy mega industrial park. And in that you succeeded

2. Commercial Center - 4 - I think I would not have used the over scaled and unnecessarily bright KFC for a challenge picture. It kind of distracts. My overall judgment is that 'this is my kind of downtown'. Not too tall and not too short for a medium sized bustling town.   

3. Resources - 4 - can't get any more original than having custom content to look at. I'm not sure about the scale of the copper mine and the fact that it's made of cement. But I suppose just because I've not seen one doesn't mean they don't exist in Canada. And you excelled in making it look like the reaping of the resource destroyed something (I guess that's a compliment)  ??? 

4. Farming community - 4 - That small village is perfect and you've used a lot of custom farms.   :thumbsup:

5. Central Park - 4 - I like the park. Especially the pitch and putt. One does not normally see that in MD's. It's a very nice close up shot. It also seems that the conductor left the station on schedule. Finding himself immortalized in this frozen moment of time.   

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

soulchaser

My points for challenge 7

1. Industrial Park

Looks good, though there are some really strange things.... A wind generator on the plain? A cemetery right next to industry? and the coal is burrying some buildings....3 Points

2. Commercial Center

there seems to be a lot of commercial demand, I'd dream of...besides some obviously repeating buildings that look odd, great work....4 Points

3. Resources

Logging....good idea, though they're kept in the middle of all the industry....this means some looooong transport...3 Points
Oil...even better work on this....looks real....perfect 5 Points
=> 4 Points

4. Farming community

I always admire your great work on this, though your cows might go wild :D ...4.5 Points

5. Central Park

Too small and too compact for my feelings...I thought you'd do better ;) ...2.5 Points

That's 18 Points alltogether.

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!