• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 9

Started by threestooges, June 30, 2010, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Welcome to Challenge 9.

Overview
As requested: the overview shot: the park boundary is outlined in a bright red, and covers most of the mountains and the little outcrop of land along the north border of the region. The scenic road is marked in a dark red. It's a point-to-point road that, in the west, terminates at a lookout point for a waterfall, the east side scales Woodsedge Peak to the observatory there. You may remember it as a radar station from the military development in the area, but now it has added "tourist attraction" to its list of duties.

Natural Attractions
The first, and probably one of the more noticeable features of the park is Firefighter Falls. The strength of the spray from the cascade is what gave the falls its name. The falls never actually had a name until the establishment of the park. Up until then, more or less, it was almost as though the falls were never there. However, the naming followed closely on the heels of the ACME Boiler Factory fire. With the streams of water converging on one point, the name seemed almost natural. An observation tower was built at a scenic point just across the water from it. The land on the other side is accessible only by boat, and permits are required for hiking.

The second image comes from slightly down the shore from the falls. Erosion and the wash from the falls has caused sediment to slowly pile up and has created a wetland area that provides an excellent habitat for birds and other water dwelling creatures.

Main Park Entrance and Accommodations
The park entrance itself is rather nondescript. The only landmark for it is the arch bridge that crosses the park boundary on the way up the road to the observatory. There is the primary camping village at the base of the bridge here, and also the location where one can rent a boat for the day to get further into the park.

Back in town is where the major jumping off point is. Rooms inside the park are relatively few. The desire was to keep the park as natural as possible, so most of the hotels have begun to develop just back here, a few minutes outside the park. The restaurant at Green's Hotel (the green building there on the corner, yeah original isn't it?) has probably one of the best breakfasts in the region, and is a great place to start the day before hitting the park.

Partway up the hill to the observatory is a smaller camp site that, from it's location on the hill, offers panoramic views of the park as well as the whole of the Grand River Valley. It's the only area in the park that permits overnight guests.

Scenic Road
Not much to say about the road here. It goes up to the observatory, and it has amazing views.

Wildlife
One of the perks of the in-park accommodations is that you're right on the edge of the wild, and the wild don't mind wandering by from time to time to remind you of that.

Large City Park
Fitting with the expansive south, their recently built park is fitting right in with their style: big and broad. It's broken into two sides: grassy/relaxing, and sports/active.

Here's a close up of the green side of things (the sports side of things will be down in the extra picture area). The pond may be a bit overgrown, but it's a nice sanctuary for the birds and other critters running around there.

Small Park
A quick jump back to the north side, right back by the town by the park entrance as a matter of fact. Right by the train station is a small patch of land that offers a little get away when you don't feel like leaving town. It also provides a green welcome for those just arriving, or a last touch of nature for those leaving.

Extra Pictures

The sports side of the large park

Hope you enjoyed.
-Matt

jmyers2043

Hey Matt

Looks like you're all caught up and in the hunt. I like that second picture of the lagoon. Great shot. And I like the sports complex.

the region shot shows that you have plenty of room for challenge 10. I may be in trouble as i've developed most of my GRV region. Good Luck the points.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

soulchaser

Good work, I like what you've built there. Today, I'd also have some more skills in City-Buildung, I'd change a lot ;)

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!