• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 10 - Highway to where?

Started by jmyers2043, July 07, 2010, 06:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

Survey says: Sims like to listen to AD/DC's 'Highway to Hell' when driving on the GRVII highways.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

Highway Transportation and Regional Access

Here is Your Highway Challenge 10, jmyers2043.

This is the most difficult Challenge in the series of Eleven Challenges in all (Plus the final/conclusion in 12). This challenge is to test your mayorly patience and logical sense of planning and construction. Use all your Mayor skills to make it practical, logical and beautiful looking.

The highway itself  is shown in RED and is allowed to change into an Avenue (Boulevard) on 3 different tiles only, so choose your locations well. You may build only 50% or so of an avenue in each tile though, the rest will have to be highway (any form of it). You are not allowed to build any avenue in the country, only within town- or city- limits. Building an Avenue is an option (maybe even a relief in some cases) and is not demanded for.

RED CIRCLES indicate where the 2 Highway Intersections demanded should be, it may differ from one Player to another whether it is three, four or more directions.

YELLOW CIRCLES indicate where we would like to see the access ramps to the highway. You may build as many access ramps as you wish, as long we see these 3 indicated ones in their locations.

Remember that the *PLAN* can be discussed and negociated and may be alternated to a certain degree. Up to you to give us your suggestions. First study your situation with the plan given and then offer us the results of capability and/or demands for alternations before starting building. It is the Governor's final decision who should be respected at the end, and of course, be executed as such. Only a certain amount of alternation though can be negciated and/or will be accepted. In general the plan should be executed as drawn as much as possible (shown) on the map above, unless you have valid good reasons to ask for needed changes or alternations.
ONLY after the Governor has given his official confirmation and the *Green* light, you may start the regional construction.

After the Governor's confirmation of construction, you may show us your progress with several posts and pictures while you're constructing through the region. Only once finished the Challenge, we will ask you for the pictures needed for the judgement, again, they will be individually demanded.

In Your case...   

....it shouldn't be so difficult to get the highways through your region since it is not too much developped yet. But still I will give you a little headache so to make it interesting. 2 Highways coming from the west will meat almost in the center of the region on tile E (on the farthest western side of it) From it will be one highway heading a little southward, then towards the sea where another Junction on the seaside will lead one part to the south and another one over the river north heading right through 2 towns and over the mountains (that little headache I promissed you) into the north. There should be 2 on-ramps in the southern town and 1 out in the farmlands on the northern half to give access to the village nearby. Compared to other players, yours should be a "piece o' cake". I couldn't find anything difficult in your region, luck saved you from my hard demands in Challenge 10, but beware.....lol...I'll keep an "extra eye" on your work. ;) Good luck and welcome to AC/DC's *Highway to Hell*. ;)

Pictures needed of Your Challenge 10:

..........(coming up after confirmation of Construction from the Governor and after the end of the regional construction).........

We wish you good luck with this last enormous Project of GRV II and hopefully enjoy while executing it. No rush, take your time. ;)
We also will be anxious to see your project advancing as you hopefully will show us with pictures as you slowly wind through the region.

Fred (Lynn will be present for the judgements later)

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

jmyers2043

two options to for Governor MrBisonM to consider 

Alternative

1. Alternate route that diverts traffic away from the heart of Whimperthorpes (tile M) bustling harbor. I don't think the captains and skippers of the oil tankers will be to kind in word. To say nothing of the real possibility that the container ships will take their business elsewhere. Therefore, I beseech thee wise Governor to allow me to build the causeway across to the sound to the island following the cyan route as best I can.

2. The route traversing the Northwest falls directly, exactly, precisely on the city boundaries. May I build the highway on the side of cities A, B, and C where it will then join the highway southwards?

Exibit 1 - Proposed alternative routes

Exibit 2 - Close up view of Whimperthorpe and harbor and the Governors proposal #1

Sincerely

- Mayor Jim

mrbisonm

Quote from: jmyers2043 on July 19, 2010, 05:48:48 PM
Alternative

1. Alternate route that diverts traffic away from the heart of Whimperthorpes (tile M) bustling harbor. It brings me great happiness to stretch my skills in the attempt to build a causeway across the harbor. I don't think the captains and skippers of the oil tankers will be to kind in word. To say nothing of the real possibility that the container ships will take their business elsewhere. Therefore, I beseech thee wise Governor to allow me to build the causeway across to the sound to the island following the cyan route as best I can.

I must not have realized or looked up all the pictures well enough because I didn't realize that the highway was indeed cutting off the harbour. So, in a way not to start any troubles with the Captains and the harbour workers, I will agree to your suggestion as long as I can see a long stretch of highway over water. Your demand is officially accepted.

2. The route traversing the Northwest falls directly, exactly, precisely on the city boundaries. May I build the highway on the side of cities A, B, and C where it will then join the excellent plan you've made for a highway southwards?

Here again, the line was meant to be on tiles A B and C. It was hard to see where exactly the borderlines were. So I totally agree with you to have the highway on these tiles.

Good luck

Fred

EDIT:

I would like to see pictures from the following marked areas (green circles) in view 3 or view 4 (best fitted) before you start building. These pictures will be judged with the end-results. They are to see how well, much or little you have changed while building the highway. Thank You.

jmyers2043

QuoteI would like to see pictures from the following marked areas (green circles) in view 3 or view 4

Ok - Starting upper left and moving counter clockwise...

Tile B - Stokewell. Highway on/off ramps serving this small mining town.

Tile F - Loucaster. Highway intersection in the Southwest corner.

Tile M - Whimperthorpe. I'm supposed to find a spot for Highway on/off ramps.  :D

Tile M - Whimperthorpe. The southeastern corner will be the location for the second highway intersection.

Tile M - Whimperthorpe. The outer island would normally be the spot for R$$$ homes but Mayor Jim will be building a highway instead (maybe both)

Tile L - Croftwater Commons. The location for a third set of on/off ramps.

Tile L - Northwestern corner of Croftwater Commons.

mrbisonm

Perfect. Thank you.
Now you can go ahead and start your project. Wish you good luck and lotsa fun while doing it. ;)

Fred

jmyers2043

Update 1. The emphasis is on the cities of Bordertowne (tile E), Whimperthorpe (Tile M), and Stokewell (Tile B).

Bordertowne - Nov 07,2010. I wish to announce as the CEO of Acme Boiler Company that we are expanding into the exciting and growing field of heavy road building equipment. Acme is known and recognized region wide for it's quality boilers. We will now supply GRVII with Steam Rollers. I would like to assure all the Mayors (and GovernorB) that you are my valued customers. With me the customer will always come first (well, after a profit that is).

The steam rollers will have airbags, CD players, steering wheels, and trunks. We're still trying to figure out GPS systems. Yep, we're pretty proud of these next generation steam rollers. They will be crafted with precision and care. A thing of the past will be potholes and broken asphalt.

Acme, originally a smelting plant, expanded to a boiler works in 1920 with the addition of a steel forming facility. The new Steam Roller division will employ 250 workers. Those who have experience with different types of heavy industrial equipment and have skills in the manufacturing trades can apply. Knowledge of welding lines, tool fitting, and an understanding of pipe-bending assembly rooms is a plus.

Whimperthorpe, Tile M. Aerial View of the GovB Memorial Unfinished Highway

Father Murphy hopes that highway noise will improve his not so angelic sounding choir.   

Workers putting up a barrier fence.

Waterfront job site office. Look for the 'JFM-0653' Road Grader and the 'Mach II' job site dumper. Capacity? 250 lbs of dirt or rubble!

Another job site office. The Crawler crane is on loan from Tag_1 construction works.

Meet the out of work yet self sufficient Sim, Joe Lee Ledford. He lives in the city of Stokewell near Redford Coal Mine #2 which is a far-flung distance from the hustle and bustle of highway construction. He has a patch of veggies, some hogs, some chickens, and cows. He passes the day thinking about what it's like to be the Governor and fishin' in the pond behind his home.

Lowkee33

You placed your cities in the almost the exact spot I did.  The transportation network is pretty similar as well.

I like what you have done with the place, but I am a little worried for Joe Lee Ledford. 

zzsteven

Nice job on the construction sites. I'm going to have to put a little more effort in mine now, you raised the bar.  ;D  Considering the size of the dumpster, 250 pounds must mean you have really light rubble.... fluffy rubble. LOL

Like the Ledbetter homestead too.

zz

soulchaser

NIce story, nice pics....I'm ashamed about my comparatively poor results..... &ops

well done &apls

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mrbisonm

It almost felt like watching one of those programs on TV, reality construction shows just like on the Discovery channel. That was amazing and mostly interesting to read and followed by the great pictures. Love those machineries you created so well, must buy myself one of those Steam Rollers.
If Joe Lee Ledford likes fishing as much as the Governor, maybe I'll have a job for him.
That also, which had nothing to do with the highway, was a great input to the story. Great start.... Loved it.  :thumbsup: ;)

Fred

jmyers2043

I'll be traveling from Dec 9 through 19. So I've been pushing hard to get update 2 done.

Tile M. The future site of a set of highway on/off ramps. Before.

The park is no more as you can see. The small hill was pushed into the pond and the under utilized waste of money tram system was removed. 

Tile B. A bridge is under construction in the city of Stokewell.

The first use of the new HS 825 crawler crane.

Tile M. Meanwhile some pilings are pounded into the bank along the water front.

Joe Lee Ledford has a plastic gnome in his yard. Artistic in a tacky sort of way.

Lost? Thought so. Saw you drive by a couple of times.     

Croft Water Commons? Bet you took route 10 and turned right on Grand River Rd. Can't get there if you do that.     

You betcha. I know a short cut. Got a pencil?       

OK. Go down to the end of the dirt road and turn left. 

Nope. What you wanna do is to hang a right at Dry Pond Road which is just past the Redford Mine.

Yep. Take the paved road. Not the gravel one. After a spell you'll see Mount Zion Baptist Church. Make a right at the second road after that. I'm not sure of the name but there'll be a big oak tree.

You can't miss it. It'll look like you're going in the wrong direction but trust me.

After about 30 miles there'll be a fork in the road. Taking the high road goes over the mountain. Veering right on the low road takes you straight to Croft Water.

You're welcome.

Highway? What highway!?   ???   

mrbisonm

lol....nice story.

Wow, you just made me swallow my "wow's". I love construction sites....lol...you probably know by now, but this is most amazing. Like zzsteven said in the last update *You have raised the bar*....Geeez, you surely did.

These are probably some of the best pictures I have seen, so many new props (and well done too) Why you little devil, now you gave me a headache about doing mine........(still wondering how to do my Challenge 9)

Darn. I've gotta think of something to be at least not too far behind the above......

Great jog Jim, really great update, I'm impressed, couldn't have done better!
Let's see now what the others have to say..... :thumbsup:

Fred

soulchaser

&apls &apls &apls

This is so........beautiful, realistic, pure.....

I loved your last update, this time I bow in awe.... :thumbsup:

Recently Iced

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

art128

Gorgeous construction area and funny story !
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

jmyers2043

Aerial view of Whimperthorp. Tile M.

A marine pile driver at work near a bridge abutment on the outer island.

Marine crane and crew construct the bridge footings and columns.

These are the first pictures from Inghamshire. Tile I 

"This sure is beautiful country," said Caribou Bill as he admired the lush foliage surrounding him in all directions. "Just smell that fresh air." Caribou is an employee of Buckskin Jim's Logging Company. Jim's Logging and Peg Pine Inc are the two teams of 35 lumberjacks dispatched to the Newsimaddict National Forest in Inghamshire to clear the way for the GRV Highway to No-Where.

"This is a lucrative government contract" said Rattle-Snake Pete. Pete is the foreman of Peg's crew. "It is rugged work but we're going to have a bit of fun". That fun would a wager to see who can clear the most trees today. The looser buys tomorrow mornings breakfast. A hearty breakfast is essential to good lumberjacking and a tall stack of flapjacks await. 

And with that Caribou Bill felled an especially impressive Western Hemlock. Leaving behind a 15 foot wide stump.

I saw an episode of Swap Loggers on the TV. I was watching with interest when I saw a Grappler Skidder. I said "I've got to bat that" ... always helpful when one finds a good reference drawing.

Stokewell - Tile B

Joe Lee Ledford's place. Don't that just beat all  ???

mrbisonm

Yeah, just great, becoming better and better with everytime, only one problem....oh my....you're leaving me behind with those great looking BATs of yours. Darn! Now I've gotto work harder......lol. Really fantastic BATs and update.

Fred

....* going back to my gmax"....

soulchaser

great Job JM.....would love to revive my Bordertown...but I still have only a 4th of the plugins I lost :(

Recently Iced

zzsteven

Another great update, Jim. Liked how you could "just" BAT a Grappler Skidder.  :D
Joe Lee Ledford is right; a mans home is his castle.

zz