• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernestmaxis

Sir Alex,

You fixed it, the trick was to removed the complete Network Addon Mod folder.
Thanks for the fast reply and the amazing content in this mod :thumbsup:

Greeting Ernest !

fredlangva

I am getting red arrows on a Linux install. I just defaulted everything and I do see files in some of the folders. Whenever I try to use any NAM feature (like the digger) I get a red arrow. This was a totally clean install with no additional mods or assets. I reinstalled twice since I thought I may have made a mistake since it has been over 6 years since I had SC4 installed. Same results both times.

SC4 plays fine and has been updated.

Tarkus

Getting red arrows on all buttons means that you either (a) do not have a NAM Controller (the file that contains all the code that allows the NAM's network additions to be built), or (b) there's something overriding it.  Given that you are operating from a clean install, it's almost certainly Option A. 

The NAM Controller goes by the file name "NetworkAddonMod_Controller.dat", and is housed in a subfolder in the Network Addon Mod directory, named either "z_NAM Controller_RHD" or "z_NAM Controller_LHD" (depending on if you installed the mod for RHD or LHD).   It's a mandatory part of the install, so unless there's some weird Linux installation quirk about which I am unaware, the only ways you could have ended up without it would be either by unsuccessfully attempting to manually compile a new NAM Controller, or by removing the NAM Controller. (Some users who don't understand how the NAM works have tried to push Controller removal as a "solution" to the CTDs caused by issues that are really pertaining to 4GB Patch installation--and while it will stop the crashes, it completely breaks the NAM.)

-Alex

jeffryfisher

Quote from: Tarkus on December 27, 2020, 12:24:57 AM
Getting red arrows on all buttons means that you either (a) do not have a NAM Controller (the file that contains all the code that allows the NAM's network additions to be built), or (b) there's something overriding it.  Given that you are operating from a clean install, it's almost certainly Option A.
[/quotel
I suspect option 'B' -- What does "totally clean install" mean when SC4 has been on a machine for 6 years? If any earlier version of NAM was ever installed, then the user may have deleted one but not both of its NAM folders, accidentally leaving an obsolete controller sitting in a z-named subfolder in plugins. I think another user previously had this issue for exactly that reason earlier this year.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

fredlangva

Ok - got it to work - it just took 3 minutes to boot.  I'll try playing with the Wine settings to see if I can get it to boot faster.  I don't recall it taking that long but it has been quite a few revs ago the last time I used SC4/NAM.

fredlangva

hiya Jeff. I hadn't installed SC4 on this box as it is a new HD and arch linux. The last time I used SC4 was maybe 2014 (?) on 2 HDs ago. I switched to Cities XL for a bit then Cities Skylines but I really hate the "drain 'em dry" model of charging 14.99 per DLC for some minor functionality update.

The biggest issue I had with SC4 was curved and angled roads and a few simulation issues but overall thought SC4 was the best of the series (and I have ever one - except for the new one which we won't talk about).

So now that I got NAM working, I need to get some more QoL stuff in and then I might just play vanilla buildings for a bit.

mgb204

Quote from: fredlangva on December 27, 2020, 11:01:07 AM
Ok - got it to work - it just took 3 minutes to boot.  I'll try playing with the Wine settings to see if I can get it to boot faster.  I don't recall it taking that long but it has been quite a few revs ago the last time I used SC4/NAM.

The NAM's new controller (since v37) takes a long time to fully load into RAM, 3m if you have other Plugins too, I'd say sounds normal, even using an SSD. But it only should take this long for the first city you load, after that cities should be much quicker to load.

If you aren't using all the additional networks, especially RHW, a lighter controller using the Controller Compiler, will improve things.

Quote from: fredlangva on December 27, 2020, 11:09:24 AM
I switched to Cities XL for a bit then Cities Skylines but I really hate the "drain 'em dry" model of charging 14.99 per DLC for some minor functionality update.

:thumbsup:

nickWtn

Has anyone ever encountered this? https://i.imgur.com/bwlcETX.mp4 I've only encountered this since updating to NAM 39 , and for what ever reason no matter what I do, including deleting the intersection that tile is still that color, and won't change.

Tarkus

Quote from: nickWtn on December 29, 2020, 03:02:17 PM
Has anyone ever encountered this? https://i.imgur.com/bwlcETX.mp4 I've only encountered this since updating to NAM 39 , and for what ever reason no matter what I do, including deleting the intersection that tile is still that color, and won't change.

Flann found the culprit--it's a file installed as part of the Hybrid Railway (HRW), known as RRW_RHSR_Hybrid_0x55387000.dat.  The file's actually been there since NAM 38, when HRW was introduced.

Basically, there's some textures in there that are causing the game to trigger wealth textures on the Vanishing Construction Lot (VCL), the little 1x1-tile handle that is used to place Starter and FLEX Pieces.  Likely, the VCL off one of the FTL Starters you placed ended up picking up the dirt texture off the adjoining I-Ag zone because of this file.  This glitch seems to only happen on occasion, and in certain rotations.

The problem textures are the only things in the file, and removing it solves the issue without any other side effects.  The file is located in Plugins\Network Addon Mod\2_Additional Network Features\Hybrid Railway (RRW-RHSR)\a_HybridRailway_Icons_Previews.

-Alex

AsimPika3172

Something strange here...  ???

I loves Sim City forever!

Tarkus

Thanks for the report, AsimPika3172!  We had an internal report of that one recently as well, and I managed to fix it (and some other issues with the FLEX OnSlopes) last night.

-Alex

emOne

Hi all,

I use NAM 36 since many years successfully on my other computer. Today i tried to install a fresh SC4 instance on my Windows 10 20H2 notebook. I write here because i'm unable to make NAM39 working.

I've read through all the documentation mutiple times, i'm unable to identify a misstake i'm doing.

I'm running the Stream Version of SC4 Deluxe (1.1.641.0) in german language as far as i see.

SC 4 Deluxe works out-of-the-box after downloaded from Steam. After the installation of NAM39 i can not launch a (empty) city from the map.

SC freezes here:

If i remove this folder out of the "Plugins" directory, then SC4 is normally able to launch a (empty) city:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Network Addon Mod\z_NAM Controller_RHD

If i put the folder back in place, then the issue re-appears. I've also tried to re-compile the "NetworkAddonMod_Controller.dat" (by using the default settings) via the "Controller Compiler" tool, but with the same effects.

If i keep the "z_NAM Controller_RHD" directory away from the Plugins directory, then i can not use all the NAM related street-objects (for example).

My questions are:
- Is there a location where i can find good logfiles for further analysis?
- Does anyone facing the same issue and/or has a solution to this behaviour?

Best regards
Tom

Tyberius06

Hi Tom,

You mentioned, you have a new SC4 install. Have used the provided 4GB patch on the Simcity4.exe file after you installed NAM? You need to patch the main game exe in order to use the NAM. NAM v36 used to do this automatically during the install process, but with the new installer, you need to do it manually.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

emOne

Hi Tyberius

Thank you for reply.

After i've posted to this forum i was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshuI55gZf4.

I learned that launching a fresh city after the NAM installation can take serveral minutes until the city is ready. So i waited.... Then SC 4 closed / crashed. I thought, ok i need to install the 4gb patch. I installed the 4gb patch. Launched a fresh city again.. waited.. waited longer.. and it started normally.

So the issue was just because i did not expect that it takes a while to start a fresh city after the NAM installation, i missinterpreted that as a freeze. I saw this longer loading time is just the first time after the NAM installation.

All good!

Have a good year everybody.

Best regards
Tom

emOne

Hi Tyberius

Offtopic and just as info, maybe it helps others as well: During the last years i experienced sometimes random and unexpected SC 4 crashes in the middle of the game.

On multicore CPU systems: I learned, that assigning only one CPU via Taskmanager to the SimCity 4.exe solved this problem and makes SC4 stable as known from back in the days.

Best regards
Tom

LennieCondor

Hello everybody.
I've a problem with the new version of the NAM (39). When i try to load a city the game just freeze during the loading screen.

I have the GOG version of the game (downloaded just today). Installed NAM39 following all instructions step by step, included 4gb_patch and OpenJDK11U-jre_x64_windows_hotspot_11.0.8_10 all correctly.
I tried many thigs without results. I tried to lounch SC4 with and without SC4Louncher, with different setting. I tried to install different version of the game (from CD-ROM, Steam, Origin and with various versions of the game) but nothing.

Somebody can help me, please?  &cry2  :o &cry2  :o &cry2
Sorry for my bad english. I'm italian and i'm using Google Translate.

Tarkus

Hi LennieCondor-

First off, the initial load of a city tile with the NAM installed (particularly with the default full NAM Controller) is going to take longer than it would with the default game.  Let it sit for a few minutes and see if it does eventually load.

Otherwise, your "freeze" may be more of a slow crash, and that's going to be caused by either (a) the 4GB Patch not being installed properly (the #1 tech support issue we encounter), or (b) you're running the game on a system that can't handle the full NAM Controller, due to having 32-bit Windows, and/or 4GB or less RAM.

Note that any time you reinstall the game or attempt to switch between different versions of it, the 4GB Patch is going to have to be installed again on each one of those game installs/reinstalls.

The batch file here helps automate the 4GB Patch install process.  The one potential issue you might encounter, however, is if you still have all of those copies of SC4 installed, as it reads the registry to find the location of the SimCity 4.exe file, and you have no way of knowing which one it'll patch unless you go in and look at the registry yourself.

The other possibility, if you're not intending on running a full-blast NAM install with the more intensive features (i.e. the RHW), then running the Controller Compiler and deselecting features you did not install can help.  I've also precompiled a NAM Controller that excludes the RHW code, which you can pick up here.  Pull the one out of Plugins\Network Addon Mod\z_NAM Controller_RHD and replace it with the one in here.

Hope that helps!

-Alex

LennieCondor

Quote from: Tarkus on January 05, 2021, 05:05:43 AM
Hi LennieCondor-

First off, the initial load of a city tile with the NAM installed (particularly with the default full NAM Controller) is going to take longer than it would with the default game.  Let it sit for a few minutes and see if it does eventually load.

Otherwise, your "freeze" may be more of a slow crash, and that's going to be caused by either (a) the 4GB Patch not being installed properly (the #1 tech support issue we encounter), or (b) you're running the game on a system that can't handle the full NAM Controller, due to having 32-bit Windows, and/or 4GB or less RAM.

Note that any time you reinstall the game or attempt to switch between different versions of it, the 4GB Patch is going to have to be installed again on each one of those game installs/reinstalls.

The batch file here helps automate the 4GB Patch install process.  The one potential issue you might encounter, however, is if you still have all of those copies of SC4 installed, as it reads the registry to find the location of the SimCity 4.exe file, and you have no way of knowing which one it'll patch unless you go in and look at the registry yourself.

The other possibility, if you're not intending on running a full-blast NAM install with the more intensive features (i.e. the RHW), then running the Controller Compiler and deselecting features you did not install can help.  I've also precompiled a NAM Controller that excludes the RHW code, which you can pick up here.  Pull the one out of Plugins\Network Addon Mod\z_NAM Controller_RHD and replace it with the one in here.

Hope that helps!

-Alex
Thank you very very very much, i've tried to reinstall the 4gb patch and change the RHD file for the NAM and now it's all working perfectly (i just have to wait a couple of minute to load the city)  :bnn: :bnn: :bnn:
Sorry for my bad english. I'm italian and i'm using Google Translate.

fachriuwu

i'm having issue when installing One-Way road arrow reduction, road turning lanes become invisible

Tarkus

There's not anything in the One-Way Road Arrow Reduction Plugin that would affect the Road Turning Lanes.  What most likely would is if on the install, you forgot to check the Legacy Road Turning Lanes option in the installer (which isn't checked by default).  Reinstall, and make sure you have that box checked while doing so.

-Alex