• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cameron's custom content Thread

Started by cameron1991, February 08, 2007, 01:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameron1991

Ive just started to use the BAT tool and am slowly learning to BAT so I thought I might  show the content that I make to everyone. Here are some pics of what im working on at the moment.

This is my first BAT, nothing fancy, just a small house with a garage.

Here is a different version of the BAT.

Thats all for now but I will post more images as I complete the BATs.

vester

Great start, batting.

Try to do a preview rendering.
Click on the hammer -> B.A.T. -> Preview - > Day
then press print screen and paste it into your favorite images editor program.

praiodan

Really a good start. It's good to know that there are still people out there taking the challenge of attempting to BAT.  :thumbsup:
*Thinks back to his first attempt... shivers*

kwakelaar

A nice bat to start with. :thumbsup:
You might consider to make a roof overhang and timberframes around windows and doors.

cameron1991

Heres a little update. I tried what Vester said and did a perview rendering and made a roof overhang as kwakelaar suggested.

Adriano57

Really a good start ! There is not a fireplace ?

bat

That building looks fantastic and nice textures! :thumbsup:

Colyn

Ok some important points to get into place when you start batting ...

First of all ... when anybody from the BSC posts advice or comment ... dont expect it to be always OOHS and AHS because that usually dont help you much apart from making you feel good ;)

Now right at the start I think the first thing you do is RENDER that house and get it on a park lot and place it in the game ... your biggest enemy in small buildings are SCALE. See how it fits with other custom homes ... I say custom homes because the Maxis scale on small homes is all over the place ... Simgoober, JMeyers, Sandrasim and others that make homes have settled into a scale that works well and is somewhere in the moddle of the Maxis scaling.

Now your bat ... that garage door is not settled properly on that wall and needs some tuning and trimming and make sure you leave room on the sides for the actual opening to work in a wall like that.

I love your window and door detail.

You might consider extending the roof overhang a bit.
Good shot sofar.
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

vester

I would suggested that you move your windows and doors into the openings.

Have a look around your neighbourhood. Here the windows are place 5-8 cms into the walls. Some doors are the same. That is if they open outwards.
You should do the same with the garage door.

Maybe finish of the end of the roofs with a barge board (hope that is the name of it in english).

Add some roof junk. Vent pipes, antenna, satelitte disc ect. Again have a look around you.

cameron1991

Thanks for your comments, I may not be able to post an update untill the weekend when I have some time to be alone with the BAT tool as I have just started what looks to be a very busy year at school :'( Anyway, I thought I might try and change the the windows to something like this

That is a pic of a window on my house I just took with my mobile phone.

Vester, Barge Board? maybe you mean the spoutting, which is used to get rid of water runoff on the roof?

Rayden

Nice first try. It makes feel like trying that as well ;) Good luck on this task :thumbsup:

kwakelaar

Barge boards or whatever they are called, I think Vester refers to these (see image).

vester

Yep, that is just what I was talking about, K.

freedo50

yeah i think theyre called fascias in english
Great work cameron, i think it looks really good in the preview render, and i think if you tkae the advice from thsoe postsabove we could have another great BATter on our hands :thumbsup:

Colyn

The ones that are running up the gable end is called Barge Boards an dthe ones behind the gutters are called facia.
Come see CSX Play

cameron1991

Thanks for all the comments! I tried the gmax "Model a P38" tutorial the other day and it went well so I made a Boeing 727 and when I exported it and tried to place it in the Lot Editor, it looked well, wasted, heres a pic so you can see what I mean...

727 In gmax

727 In the Lot Editor

Does any one know the solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance

Also about the Bargeboards, ill have a go at making them in the weekend, thanks for the pic kwakelaar

Colyn

Looks like a very bad LOD ...

In gMAX go to the BAT and then click the LODS button to see the LODS ... I am sure that wing is outside the LOD.
Come see CSX Play

cameron1991

Thanks for the help Colyn, One of the wings was slightly out of the LODs so I reffitted the LODs and exported it a couple of times, but it still doesnt appear properly in the lot editor and im really unsure of what to do now.

Ive fixed the LOD problem but the plane appears rotated in the lot editor even though it shows it level in the BAT, i tried rotating the plane to 45 degrees each way and exported it but it just made it worse.

Heres a pic to show you what i mean...

bat

cameron1991

Thanks for all of your helpfull comments! Ive been working on one of the houses today and thought I would post an update of what Ive been doing.

Ive put in a small sattelite dish, put in some barge boards or spoutting as its called in New Zealand, made a small gap (about 30cm so it isnt visible but its there ;))between the wall and the garage door and placed an old version of the house next to one of simgoobers Swedish houses for size comparison.

Now im thinking of replacing the brick wall texture and the windows with something more modern to fit with the roof.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is a picture of 2 billboards I made for Derek_pearce

There are 2 types of billboards, the first has an image on both sides, and the other has 1 image on one side and supports for the board on the other side