• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Art128's BATs

Started by art128, February 20, 2009, 10:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Thanks guys.
I'm taking note about people in the building. My idea is to add people on the platform, tunnels and hall and have them move around for the night view to give a hint that they're living beings.

Some progress. tweaked some lights here and there, added props inside the restaurant. Will downscale the awning a bit. But apart from that and sims inside, I think it's ready.

Forgot to activate the day skybox for inside but it will be in the final render.

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tyberius06

Beautiful BAT, it will be a really great addition to the game! Awesome work!  &apls &apls &apls

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

art128

Thanks!

I tried adding some detailed plants and stuff but it made the scene way too heavy so I will have to make them only simple noise boxes, because of that, the layout of the grass thingys will change.
Anyway apart from that, it's ready. Here's a day view with the people in place. Haven't prepared the night view (people wise) yet.

Props & Texture Catalog

manga rivotra

It's look perfect and very unique ! &apls &apls &apls
I can't wait to find the right place for it in game.  :thumbsup:

mattb325

Hey art128, looks great! :thumbsup:

I've attached a maxis texture x261a0000 to this post that I use often when the scene gets too heavy for plants and I want to simulate greenery. I made two bump maps for it that will give different height effects....feel free to use (or not); it is colour corrected for the 3dsmax environment.

Tarkus

Arthur, that station is looking fantastic!  :thumbsup: I especially like the length of it . . . reminds me a fair bit of the biggest train station near me (Union Station in Portland).

-Alex

Badsim

Hi Arthur,

Complex model, high level of detailing and top-notch texturing ; Tampere Station is indisputably your best BAT to date. &apls
This deserves +1.

No news from Novotel ? I hope it didn't get swept under the carpet ... (have also access to  -1 button  ;D )

Impressive cars collection ... I had the pleasure to discover a Panhard VBL Civil when browsing the picture full size, reawakening some nostalgia : my parents were the owners of a 24CT in the 60's, I was a young child   -  and the world was a lot more ... well, was a little less...  how to say that ... ?

... sometimes a good  drawing says it all. :D

Scale debate concerning automata and vehicles props (I think you know my opinion...) will never be solved, SC4 community being a constantly changeable (and declining...) sum  of ephemeral members. Alejo has mentioned my work about automata but there's nothing to expect from me : what I did, regarding the community rules, isn't shareable. Well, too bad ...  &mmm

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

fantozzi

Wonderful things going on here. Thank you, Arthur. Browsing through the last four pages gave me the impression step by step grey boxes begin to blossom and are growing into beautiful game content.

- the clock on the clock tower seems oversaturated to me and the same the red awning. But could be my monitor. So never trust a single opinion on colors if it's not your partner's.  ::)

- regarding the scaling discussion:

I think most important thing remains the visual aspect, not the exact number and I personally don't scale every prop with the same fixed percentage. Psychology is very strong on what we recognize and our brain is very powerfull to add its own interpretation and fill gaps in perception. So especially on those hand full of pixel people will se what they want to see and there is nothing you can do about.

You shouldn't trust maths alone here and always let your perception having the last word.

To me car props are often like intermediaries between automata (looking underscaled) and sims (looking overscaled) and to me work best when they fit both in a believable way.

I often use girafe's car props as a joint sample. They do this job perfectly - creating a visual balance between automata and sims. Also SHK car props (by KOSC) have gained a great popularity and they mark the very upper limit to my taste. So my rule would be: never bigger as KOSC and always a little bigger than automata. And all car props created in between this limits are totally okay to me.

Or am I too liberal about this?

art128

Thanks for the feedback!

Fantozzi - I agree about the clock and awning being too saturated, will fix that before the final render.

Cedric - Haven't forgotten about Novotel... I was just debating if I wanted to upload it or not considering I made it to fit a specific purpose (the "slab" I will be building ingame)... But I will probably, soon enough since It's ready to be uploaded. The VBL civil was made because I really like the look of the VBL and would own one of it was even possible.

Matt - Thanks for the texture. It looks better than the one I was using.

Apologize for the lack of update, I was distracted by other games..

I've setup the night view and modified the planters.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tyberius06

Really nice night lighs, Art! This will be a lovelly addition.  &apls &apls
Also I didn't realize until now, that the Novotel haven't been released... That's an amazing building too, it would be so great to see it released.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

fantozzi

Quote from: art128 on May 29, 2021, 03:48:07 PM
Apologize for the lack of update, I was distracted by other games..

If I was a moderator I would issue a warning on this. So as the philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz in 17th century has proven that the world we are living in is the best of all possible, now you could add another argument to his thesis: it must be the best of all possible because Fantozzi is no moderator.

As a matter of fact a man creating such lovely nightlights never should be warned for anything.

art128

Thanks! The Novotel will be released soon.

The station is now in game. I had to make really basic (aka bad) LODs for the platform because I kept getting failed exports... After 3 export I got fed up.

Anybody know what properties I need to edit on a lot to make it stuck to the bottom of a sloped tile?

Also any idea what to use or even BAT for the other side exit?

Props & Texture Catalog

manga rivotra

First of all, it's sublime!  &apls &apls &apls
Then the lot must obviously face down the slope and the property to use is "LotConfigPropertyMaxSlopeBeforeLotFoundation" with a value equal to 0. This property prevents a lot from being slopy friendly and generating foundations and retaining walls. The tiles facing the lot at the bottom of the slope must be leveled so that the game does not average the heights of each of this tiles to deduce the height of the threshold to apply to the lot.
For the other side of the building, I imagine a sort of retaining wall with a few "back shop style" access doors or other technical rooms (electrical transformer for example) near the exits of the avenue, in a style. discreet and neutral. Anyway, something that wouldn't be part of the Station Bat, but rather a separate Prop no wider than the retaining wall. This Prop could be made offset, so that it would be on your station lot but would appear at the outer edge of the railroad tracks on the other side, for players who want both sides of the station to be on the same level. Players who would like to raise the ground at the other side of the station to the height of the tracks (or even higher), would only need to remove this Prop for the lot. (or you can do a lot with this prop and a lot without)
And, I am delighted that you are realizing the Novotel soon.  :thumbsup:

art128

After some wait, the Novotel Front de Seine has been released. You can get it on the LEX. [Link]

Props & Texture Catalog

Une_ame

&apls Thanks a lot Art for this tower : After all, Paris isn't made only with Hausmanian W2W buildings.
I write a little comment on the LEX when I discover this new gem you've made.
Since I didn't saw it coming, I 'm wondering if you plan to give this special building some little brothers (tour Totem, Beaugrenelle mall or tour Cristal or others) based on the same slab concept ?
:thumbsup:
babuloziwad / adj Above perfection in SC4; Dude, this MOD is ~ !

art128

I do plan some other towers for the slab: Totem, Citee des langues, Panorama, The cheminee, Defense 2000 (La Defense), Les Poissons (Puteaux) and Creteil City Hall.

Props & Texture Catalog

Une_ame

Creteil City Hall.

:D :D :D I spend my youth on the lake in front of it in a 420 sailing dinghy. It is a very nice building indeed. :thumbsup:

I believe Defense 2000 has been made already by a mysterious builder call Royal Game... $%#Ninj2
babuloziwad / adj Above perfection in SC4; Dude, this MOD is ~ !

art128

:) I work nearby so I get to see it everyday. It's a very nice building inside and out. Gotta say walking around the lake in the summer during the lunch break is a nice luxury to have. Even if Defense 2000 was already made, I'd still do my own version so it fits my plan. ;) A picture I took of the City Hall few years ago

Thanks to Tibi for pointing this out: Turns out Novotel's lot is CAM stage 10. which means you need the CAM in order for it to grow. I will add a separate non CAM lot soon.

Here are some ingame pictures of Tampere station. It should be ready for upload very soon.

There are two lots: 7x1 with the main building and platform as props overhanging on the rail lines (7.5m) and a 1x1 pavement lot to put on the slope on the right building (under the tunnel entrance)

I still have no idea what to make for the back entrance building, but I will figure out something.... If you guys have any idea, feel free to post them.

Props & Texture Catalog

art128

Quote from: art128 on June 13, 2021, 11:02:19 AM
Thanks to Tibi for pointing this out: Turns out Novotel's lot is CAM stage 10. which means you need the CAM in order for it to grow. I will add a separate non CAM lot soon.

The Novotel upload has now been updated to include a non CAM stage 8 lot.  :thumbsup:

Props & Texture Catalog

art128

Started working on the second station building for Tampere..... Which isn't from Tampere at all.  $%Grinno$%
As usual inspired by a real building with heavy artistic liberties.

Should I release it as a separate upload or with Tampere Station?

Props & Texture Catalog