• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

General GRV II Discussion

Started by mrbisonm, February 21, 2009, 08:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wouanagaine

Hi Lynn & Fred

Glad to see that some stuff will be ready in the next week

Vive le Quebec libre:)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

BarbyW

Thank, Fred and Lynn, for the update. Don't worry about your English, Lynn, we understand you very well. As an English person I can't say "Vive le Quebec libre:)" but between us Stéph and i can translate if necessary.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

mrbisonm

Here we are now, ready to talk about another category, the rules and restrictions of the Challenge of BORDERTOWN. But first let me talk about the pointage that we will be giving to every participant. Points will be as follow.

Insatisfactory.....................0
Poor.................................1
ok and acceptable..............2
Good................................3
Very good.........................4
Excellent...........................5

Now let me tell you right away, don't expect too many *excellent* from us, since excellent is something like perfect and this is quite rare. We will not consider anything perfect or Excellent unless it really is. It will not be like the Rating of the STEX.....lol....where 98 % of every upload is a perfect 10/ excellent. To be honest, I have only seen about a dozen or so uploads to the STEX that really earned a full 10 and beliebve me , I am and have been for many years one of the harshest Commentars of the STEX.
So, I will be like this here too, I still have to see any perfection on GRV II !

All the points that I and my wife (lynncanox) will be giving on this challenge will be added together and then divided by 2 and the lesser will make it as the last decision. Example: If Lynn gives you a *4* and I will give you a *3*, the final will be a *3* (4+3:2=3.5, to round the numbers we will choose the lower one, so .....it is 3).

Points will be given individually in each gamer's thread and in the Common thread (The Main thread of rules, restrictions, points and challenges, yet to be created) And these points will only be given when every one has finished each challenge and once the next challenge is announced. Points will be explained individually also and we will tell you exactly why we gave you a lower or higher pointage for certain things. We base ourselves on real life situations, but also on imaginary fictions. Some *Bonus Points* will be given for different things we see, such as ideas, creations, organizations, etc, but these points will stay hidden until the end of the challenge. We will only mention when we give the normal points that there is a Bonus point in that specific post/ update.
Once all posts are in from each challenge, only then I will post or update my version of the challenge and you may judge me (in my thread) and give or take away points. I will then add all these points and divide them by the number of voters and choose the lower number to be my final point, just like we'll do with you. Lynn will not participate in voting or judging me. It will only be you. So, if you are looking for a revenge....lol...this will be the right time to do so. ;) Don't hesitate to be harsh with me, I can take anything as long as it is real and justified.

We will explain the points in every detail on each challenge so to make sure that you understand the right way to judge me also.

Now let's go to the rules and restrictions and have a closer look. Once we all agree about these rules, they will be posted  officially in another thread, but we keep the right to make any changes if necessary. We just want this to be equal to each and everyone of you.

Posting Rules:[/size]

Once an official numbered challenge is given (there will be 15 in all) you have exactly 10 days to put it into action. More than enough time to do so I think. This is the timeline to respect. If in any case you cannot meet the timeline for any reason, let us know before and we'll find a way to accept an exception and make it function in a different way.

That is the only posting rule there is. Very easy to follow in my opinion.

Gaming Rules :[/b]

There are 6 major Gaming rules that need to be absolutely respected. In not respecting these rules or any part of them will result in penalty points (negative points) that will be distracted from your total pointage. No further warning about breaking these rules will be given.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.You may not at any time and under no circumstances build (unless asked to do so):

A. a national or international airport or anything similar that could look like it.
B. a port or harbour of any kind (except very small fishing and pleasance docks and marinas )
C. a highway of any kind or roads that can be easily transformed into highways or may look like one, nor boulevards in small villages and towns that absolutely look unreal and out of place. Before you build something like this, inform yourself by asking me only (PM)
D. an army, airforce or naval base or anything that may look like it.

2. Once asked to meet a challenge, you will do your best to fulfill the demand in all details and within the timelimits allowed. Every part of the challenge has to be executed.
3. Each time a challenge is given, a minimum quantity of pictures will be demanded which has to be respected, also the view of the pictures will be precised as asked for. You can show us more pictures of any views in the same update if you want to though. No limits. Please respect the picture sizes demanded by this site.
4. You will have to build one bordertown divided into two parts (two nations), a part of each side of the river which holds the borderline.(North and South) It is the mainriver in the region running from east to west that will be the line between the two Nations. (see map below)
There has to be a significent visual difference between the two Nations, whether they are rich and poor, modern and old, small and big, advanced culture and not so advanced,etc.... or anything else that is easily seen and recognized as a visual difference. There is always somewhere in this world where one part of a civilization has the advantage of something and the other side doesn't. The Center of this town has to be built in the middle tile with the riverisland. (see map, tile *E*), but it can spread over all neighboring tiles as you wish. You are the only one that will decide the sides of your choices of nations. North or South.
5. You may not alter the terrain dramatically (terraforming) to any other form without having the permission from the judges to do so. Straightening out the river banks a bit for better retaining wallconstructions, yacht clubs, flattening out some stretches for better road or rail construction,bridges or for plopping certain lots etc, are fully allowed. Just keep yourself within the limits of the acceptable please. Moving a hill or creating a new river/creek is not allowed, remember that.
6. You will have to use the specified GRV II map uploaded to the LEX and STEX and render it into a medium tile region only (green config.bmp) The map will be available later.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is what you may do:

You can build your region with any terrainmod or any other mod you already have in your pluginsfolder. No restrictions at all. Also all possible cheats, custom lots/BATs are allowed wherever, whenever and however you use them. Deserts, marsmod or whatever is no problem to us.

You may build all utility buildings/ Lots (except airport or harbour unless demanded) at any time, in any way and in no limited numbers. Also all roads or street types are fully allowed (NAM etc) along with rails and all the rest of the transporting methods (GLR, Subways, ferries etc)- (except highways unless demanded), even canals and trails can be freely built wherever and however you wish.

The way you build up or down.... your region is fully up to you. Only your imagination will be the limit. We will give *Bonus* points for those that will do it gradually and in a more like realistic way. In other words, if we see a countryside farming community developping into a village , then become a town and then form into a city, some possible *Bonus* points will be given for this, which will be released only at the end of the competition.

You will be allowed to use any programs (photoshop, Gimp, mspaint, irfanview etc) that you have to alter your pictures as you wish. Just make sure that we will still recognize that the picture comes from SC4 and everything we asked for is still clear and visible. Because some have the talents to do better picture editing than others, we will NOT give any points for this. (maybe a Bonus point?)

Besides the Main town/city divided by the two nations (Bordertown) you may build as many or little villages and other towns as you wish wherever you want to in the region. Some agriculture will be necessary though, so please do not build a region without it. There will be a time that we will ask for some agricultural proof. (one of the challenges)

You may upload as many pictures as you wish (meeting at least the minimum demand) and you may wish to upload updates as many times between the challenges as you want to, while always respecting the Gaming rules. You may also include some small stories, documentation or explanations with your pictures, which might also give you some *Bonus* points here and there, all depending of realism, sci-fi and/or originality.

You may build two nations of any kind (without mentioning any discrimination though to the lesser), whether they are from real life, imaginary or even out of this world and from another universe.

The size of your city/ies and population will not give you more or less points. You can build up your region as high as you wish or just leave it as a small town.

So, you see, liberty in GRV II is much less tied up as before. We have less restrictions and rules and probably more fun to come. Respect the one updating rule and the 6 gaming rules and you will be on the way to become our 2009 GRV Champion. Have fun and enjoy the experience and the region. I am sure my wife Lynn and I will. ;)

Enjoying your participation of GRV II is our maininterest. Keep that in mind.

If you now have something to add or would like to modify or have an idea about something else, let us now here. We are open to anything. After all, you are the one that will play this challenge. Once these rules are accepted by all of us, we will make them official.

Lynn and Fred

PS: Before BarbyW will officially upload the map to the LEX and I to the STEX, it will be sent to wouanagaine for finetuning later this week.

Map *C* was chosen as the official GRV II map. I took the liberty to make some minor changes though. Since a few of you liked the island in the river in map *A* and *B*, I created one in this map also. Here is our Map.

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

BigSlark

I look forward to playing in the GRV and seeing what challenges you come up with.

I'll keep my eyes open for the map!

Cheers,
Kevin

soulchaser

Now I'm really IN.
I like the whole concept, sounds great.

The only thing that is unclear (I'd personally say), is rule 1.C as far asa RHW is used.
A 2-lane RHW is NOT a highway in commen view I think, so this would be ok? Or is it a highway within the rules?

There are so many ideas allready, I'd love to beginn planning. :thumbsup:

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mrbisonm

Yes, RHW are considered by us as a highway and therefor are NOT allowed until specified. So are boulevards that are completely out of place, like a large blvd in a small town or out in the country. The reason for this is simple. We want you to build a region without highways or highway-like structures until we ask for them. We want to see how you can handle the stress of being asked to build a highway right there where we want it through already built structuresthat you created.

Therefor there is no reason even to prepare a part of your region for the highway because you have no idea where it will be. Every individual will get a separate challenge specified to his/her own region one day to see how you adapt yourself to this challenge.

In my case, you all will be the one telling me where to build my highway.

mrb ;)

soulchaser

So a 2-lane RHW is out (?)...because i'd say it's more like German "Überlandsstrassen" = "cross-country roads" (?)  (in fact the speed is to the same degree higher than on roads) and i would built some to connect villages if it's possible, not as placeholders for a real highway

Sorry,if you think, that you already said that, just want to be sure.

Recently Iced

mrbisonm

Yes soulchaser , aber diese Uberlandstrassen sind leider nicht erlaubt. Du musst jetzt einfache Landstrassen dazu gebrauchen.

These two lane RHW are not permitted as they can be easily transformed into highways. Just use regular roads to connect villages or as we call them here in Québec, Provinicial numbered Roads. We will consider "Uberlandstrassen" as highways. The word highway does not really always translate into "Autobahn", the trans-canadian highway #1 is 80 % of the time just a regular road that crosses Canada from the Atlantic to the Pacific, although considered as a highway.

As I was looking for the .sc4m file of the chosen region I came across another slightly different version of the same region that I did some time ago. It is 3 medium tiles wider and has access to the sea. Would you all prefer this 3x4 map to the regular 3x3 *C*map?
Let me know please.

mrb

BigSlark

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 02, 2009, 11:45:49 AM
As I was looking for the .sc4m file of the chosen region I came across another slightly different version of the same region that I did some time ago. It is 3 medium tiles wider and has access to the sea. Would you all prefer this 3x4 map to the regular 3x3*C*map?
Let me know please.

mrb

I like the idea of access to the sea, personally. It would make the contrast much stronger in my mind.

Cheers,
Kevin

wouanagaine

Can we have a screenshot ?

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

mrbisonm

....sorry, the darn screenshot didn't show up first......

mrb

soulchaser

OK...now everything is clear  ;) no rhw at all....no problem for me....just wanted to know if I got you right.

BTW: Your German (or translating software) is quite good ;)

For the map: I personally liked the smaller one better. Somehow the small hill (F/I) doesn't make any geographical sence, the same for the small river tahat comes out of the lake and seems just weird, when the coast is that near.

Recently Iced

mrbisonm

Born in Sweden (in a small agricultural town called Umeà), father swedish/german, mother german/hungarian, raised in Germany (Wuppertal/Aachen and Monschau), lived in Holland (Maastricht) and now in french Canada (near Sherbrooke/Québec) and probably will die in New Zealand (Queenstown)....lol. I speak 7 languages, can understand 11 and read and write only 3. Jetzt kannst Du bestimmt gut verstehen warum mein Deutsch so gut ist. Leider hab' ich nicht viel die Gelegenheit es zu sprechen. (transl: now you probably understand why my english is so good, unfortunetly I don't have the chance to speak it so often anymore)

I know about the geological *errors* in my region, but it was done for Simcity City-building. You probably will understand some time later why I created the little river that runs contrary to the sea and the *out-of-nowhere* hills. Hills like this exist here in Québec in the St-Laurence River valley near Rougemont (check google earth)

They sprout up like this in the middle of flatlands without any reason and can be up to 1000 meters high. Besides it makes a somewhat challenge to build around it, no? Thanks for mentioning though soulchaser.
Just in case if more of you all would like me to change the little river and hill, I can do it without any problems in no time.

mrb ;)

wouanagaine

I don't know yet what to decide about the map

You mention in a previous post that we'll have to build a city in the island between the two side of the river, it will be a very tedious challenge as I don't see that many land space on the island. at least if I understand correctly what you've done the bigger map will offer more space for that challenge

New Horizons Productions

mrbisonm

I don't mean to build the city on the island directly, no, the island is there only to make it more interesting to build around.
What we have to do is to build a town/city on both sides of the river which actually IS the borderline. You decide if you want to separate the island for the two nations or if you want to keep it only for one nation. That's up to you.
The middle of the river is the line, and the Center of the town/city of the two nations will be on tile *E* and you can build your town/city around this tile in every direction afterwards. That again is all up to you.

We will all start with tile E and then enlarge our town towards all directions if we like so. The southern half, below the river, will be one nation and the northern half, above the river will be the other nation. The river islands will be up to you on which side it will belong, whether north or south. Maybe even a small story how the island was won years ago could make an interesting point in your CJ/ MD. (just a hint)

The larger map is only another choice if you think the first Map *C* is too small.

mrb

mrbisonm

Hm.....I still need to know whether we use the Standard Map C or the bigger version of it.(see above) Please reply, I need at least 2 or 3 to confirm.

I hope there will be more than just 2 or 3 people interested in playing this Challenge. &Thk/(

Thanks
mrb ;)

BarbyW

I like the bigger version with sea access.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Splime

I'd definitely be interested in this... and the expanded map C would be best, just for expanded possibilities.

projectadam

If you end up using the sea access map I would suggest starting on the coast instead of on what is currently tile "E." It is not that big of a deal but historically I think that the developments would be settled there instead of growing into the coast.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

metarvo

I might as well go along with the consensus, and vote for the expanded C.  The addition of the coast adds a whole new dynamic to the GRV II challenge, but I must say that it is a desirable one.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.