• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

General GRV II Discussion

Started by mrbisonm, February 21, 2009, 08:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

cameron1991,  Yes, light terraforming is allowed, just like in your case. Also the riverbanks may be straightend out to accept the seawalls, hills prepared slightly to accept roads and rails better and one tile high mounds to keep water away from inondations or run rails/roads above the lower grounds. Actually everything that you see everyday irl is permitted. But don't go godmoding the river or hills themselves though, so they won't be recognizable anymore, nor create any new lakes and rivers. Stay within the restrain of reality and be logical. ;)
If in any case you want to do more, you can ask for the Governor's permission (me) for heavier terraforming, but make sure that you have a valid and solid reason for this before presenting the demand.

mrb

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Sheep49

I think this is the right place to post the announcement that now SC4Wiki has an article about GRVII [linkie]. If you have any comments, suggestions etc. for that, just tell me or any other editor/moderator/admin on SC4Wiki, and we'll change it for better. :)

Good luck with challenges everyone ;)
Piotr
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

Gaston

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 20, 2009, 08:12:55 AM
cameron1991Yes, light terraforming is allowed, just like in your case. Also the riverbanks may be straightend out to accept the seawalls, hills prepared slightly to accept roads and rails better and one tile high mounds to keep water away from inondations or run rails/roads above the lower grounds. Actually everything that you see everyday irl is permitted. But don't go godmoding the river or hills themselves though, so they won't be recognizable anymore, nor create any new lakes and rivers. Stay within the restrain of reality and be logical. ;)
If in any case you want to do more, you can ask for the Governor's permission (me) for heavier terraforming, but make sure that you have a valid and solid reason for this before presenting the demand.

mrb

What about ploppable water to make small surface watercourses.   Like what David (dedgren) is so well known for.    Is that allowed?

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

mrbisonm

Sheep49, wow, that is fantastic......I never thought that it would get that famous....lol. Thanks for the link.

Gaston, since ploppable water is a mayorplop, it is allowed in all forms, situations and locations. If you want to make another lake/river/ creek with a whole tile or more, go. ;)

Fred

Gaston

Sweet.   Okay since It is all "unofficial" for me anyway, I wanted to ask for everyone playing.   lol

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Orange Julius

Is joining the GRV closed now? What a shame...it looked pretty fun.
Gone now...

frostwolf

I agree with Julius; this looks like a whole lot of fun and I wish I'd seen it sooner. C'est la vie. SC4 Mapper isn't compatible with Mac, so far as I know, and I've got a big paper that I *should* be writing, so perhaps it's best that I sit this one out.

Oh, well, there's always next time. In the meantime, I will observe and grin like the Cheshire Cat at all the pretty cities being built. ;D

mrbisonm

Yeah, sorry guys, GRV II is closed now, but you could always participate in a non official way  and when we have the time we will judge yours the same way.

;)

Fred

frostwolf

I'm actually trying to figure out how to do just that. Unfortunately, I can't access the map because I'm a mac user without bootcamp. I may be able to figure out a way to run mapper on someone else's computer, if I can get access, but that's not going to be particularly easy.

mrbisonm

frostwolf, I am sorry that I can't help you with that since I don't know what and how a Mac functions.  I don't know anyone that owns a Mac and I haven't even seen a Mac before.... %confuso Can you use The terraformer? Or can you render it with a greyscale map?
Good luck

Fred

frostwolf

I need a greyscale and a config map to do it on my computer. Neither terraformer or mapper works on a Mac. I do have limited access to public computers running windows, but since they're computers in a college computer lab, I have to be very careful how I use them, and what I use them for. ;) $%#Ninj2

mrbisonm

The config bmp is no problem for me , but how to do a greyscale from that region is unknown to me, maybe someone else here could help us please. Thanks.

Fred

CasperVg

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have decided to join GRV II in a non-official way. I'm sure I'll have fun doing it  ;)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

soulchaser

Hey Fred,
Grayscale from your map is quite easy...the terraformer has a button for export in 16 bit greyscale. That's what I use for calculations as they work as an dhm!

SoulChaser

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mrbisonm

Quote from: caspervg on April 05, 2009, 10:05:16 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have decided to join GRV II in a non-official way. I'm sure I'll have fun doing it  ;)

Great caspervg, I hope BarbyW will be able to open an unofficial thread thread for unofficial Players.

Quote from: soulchaser on April 05, 2009, 11:37:18 AM
Hey Fred,
Grayscale from your map is quite easy...the terraformer has a button for export in 16 bit greyscale. That's what I use for calculations as they work as an dhm!

SoulChaser

I will have a look at it later tonight, SoulChaser. I will attach the file in this thread later on , of course if I will be able to make one though.... ;)

Fred

mrbisonm

IMPORTANT!

I added something to the challenge 2 thread, please read it. My last post on the bottom of page 2.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7370.20

Thanks
Fred

frostwolf

Any luck with the greyscale?

I haven't been having any luck with any of the options open to me. I could always try to hand-terraform, if I had a config.bmp, but that's about all I can do with my old clunker of a computer. ;)

mrbisonm

Quote from: frostwolf on April 07, 2009, 04:50:42 PM
Any luck with the greyscale?

I haven't been having any luck with any of the options open to me. I could always try to hand-terraform, if I had a config.bmp, but that's about all I can do with my old clunker of a computer. ;)

Terraformer doesn't work on my computer and The Mapper only creates total black images, I don't know why. So getting an original greyscale map from me is impossible. But I tried this: I took a picture in The Mapper and transformed it to a greyscale with irfanview. I don't know if that could work out. You might try it.

I have attached to this post. Let me know and good luck.

Fred

frostwolf

I'll try it out as soon as I can figure out the config.bmp thing, which I'm having a hard time with. At the very least, it'll give me a benchmark to go off of. Thanks! :)

soulchaser

AS you have some problems:

Here's the exported 16bit greyscale PNG and the config-file

16bit

config

They greyscale seems a bit dark but it should work! Haven't tried it out.

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!