• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GRV II-Challenge No 1

Started by mrbisonm, March 16, 2009, 07:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaston

As an unbiased observer this is really interesting.     I love that over 2/3rds of the players chose similar routes.      I decided to play along but only off the record stuff.     And low and behold I chose a very similar route.    I wish now I had joined the Bordertown Challange.     Looking foreward to seeing what the next challenge brings.    And how I would (unofficially) tackle it.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

jmyers2043

For me? Reading through all the 'grades' given to each participant was a entertaining and worthwhile way to spend an hour in front of my computer this evening. I got some good chuckles reading the comments here in this thread. I think it is safe to say that we are a determined and motivated bunch who strive to put our best forward for all to see.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mattb325

It's all good fun - actually I enjoy not knowing the minutiae of each and every detail prior to commencing.

Had Mrbisonm said "spend as little of my money as possible", the challenge would not have been as enjoyable to watch as the results amongst players would have been more closely aligned....

quackmofro

That's a good point, Matt. The fact that it's a learning experience for most of us and that we observe the different methods to our madness is what makes this really interesting. And it's cool that you're playing unofficially, Gaston. I'd be interested in seeing how you're doing on it from time to time as well.

mightygoose

Now we know.... [linkie] sorry i didnt mean to leap down any throats, im happy, i was just voicing an opinion, i may have seemes abit arrogant in retrospect, cannot wait for challenge 2 :)
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Gaston

Quote from: quackmofro on March 26, 2009, 03:08:45 PM
That's a good point, Matt. The fact that it's a learning experience for most of us and that we observe the different methods to our madness is what makes this really interesting. And it's cool that you're playing unofficially, Gaston. I'd be interested in seeing how you're doing on it from time to time as well.

I see if I can take some pics this weekend and post um.     

Quote from: mattb325 on March 26, 2009, 02:59:14 PM
Had Mrbisonm said "spend as little of my money as possible", the challenge would not have been as enjoyable to watch as the results amongst players would have been more closely aligned....

I agree wholeheartedly.   I know I would have done things differently myself.

---Gaston
白龍

WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

metarvo

I guess that goes to show you what happens when I get money handed to me on a silver platter.  ;D  There's no such thing as a free lunch, right?  Or a free street, road, rail, or bridge, for that matter.  I remember hearing that there would be a little more freedom in GRV II than there was in GRV I, and it's safe to say that this increased freedom produced interesting results.  I'm looking forward to Challenge 2.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

mrbisonm

I am glad that everyone understands my point and I promiss that we will judge everyone with the same basis. Sorry, I had to make that little speech earlier, but one little uncertain comment scared off Lynn a bit, telling that she doesn't want this to get too serious. And that scared me too, because alone I'm in big trouble to do all this.......lol.

Let me explain something about the budget. Yes I offered you the cheat mode, but I didn't want you to build a whole downtown transportation system out in the country. And yes, I said that there's no limit to the budget, but I thought that a responsable Mayor would still take care of it as if it was his dity. So I thought wrong. I guess irl it's all about spending money anyways. %confuso
So be warned today for ALL the next challenges, unless stated differently, when the Governor says "We have the budget", please don't exagerate because we'll get you again. Just be a Mayor, think as a mayor and play the mayor like you should and that'll do the trick.

Have fun now and get prepared for the next challenge (No 2) at midnight tonight (less than 5 hrs), because tomorrow I won't be home all day. Take your time and watch the budget, just be reasonable and don't exagerate. Questions will be answered tomorrow night only and it might be Lynn, if I have not returned or maybe have crashed with *Rusty Rover*....lol  ;) (oh Lynn, you love it when I say this, don't ya).

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Pat

I am soo confussed here eeeks.....  :'(

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mrbisonm

Quote from: Pat on March 26, 2009, 08:04:10 PM
I am soo confussed here eeeks.....  :'(

lol......what's up Pat? The thing is that I didn't mention to watch out for the budget, but then it would have too easy, so I thought, but then it was an error not to do so, or was it, because I thought every mayor would take care of it automatically, but most didn't ....and this got me into trouble.........

lol. It doesn't matter, we had fun yelling at each other.....well, maybe not , but it was fun....still confused?. Now I am!! &mmm

Gaston, that would be nice to see your unofficial version, but if possible before everyone got their *surprize points*.

I've gotta go and upload Challenge two now......Good luck.

Fred

Jmouse

I'd like to thank Fred and Lynn for creating the GRV Challenge – clearly they've already spent a great deal of their personal time on this, and it has only just begun.

I feel as though I've stumbled upon a valuable course in strategy and logic, and I'm most fortunate to have done so. As for winning, I've no doubt I'll be a winner – not by virtue of point count, but by learning practical approaches to planning which can be bent and shaped to my own playing style. And by having a lot of fun doing it.

This promises to be one of  the most beneficial projects in the community, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to participate.

Definitely looking forward to the next installment...
Joan

Pat

Quote from: Jmouse on March 26, 2009, 09:04:01 PM
I'd like to thank Fred and Lynn for creating the GRV Challenge – clearly they've already spent a great deal of their personal time on this, and it has only just begun.

I feel as though I've stumbled upon a valuable course in strategy and logic, and I'm most fortunate to have done so. As for winning, I've no doubt I'll be a winner – not by virtue of point count, but by learning practical approaches to planning which can be bent and shaped to my own playing style. And by having a lot of fun doing it.

This promises to be one of  the most beneficial projects in the community, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to participate.

Definitely looking forward to the next installment...
Joan

Joan I couldn't have said it better here and I thank you for more or less expressing what I feel as well!!! Fred and Lynn thank you sooo much for spending your time on GRV II Challenges!!! I know Ive learned a little more about planning and strategy and by the time this is done I would have gone threw a major learning curve!!!

Can't wait for Challenge II  ;)

Patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Gaston

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 26, 2009, 08:44:04 PM
Gaston, that would be nice to see your unofficial version, but if possible before everyone got their *surprize points*.
Fred

I'll try to post something tonight.   Then on to challenge II.    ;D

EDIT :
Okay here ya go.    I didn't know where else to post um so feel free to move them if you need/want to.
Region view

Tile A

I'm still trying different water mods.    I'm trying for a somewhat Australian "bush" look for the flora and terrain mods.   Somewhere there was a collection of Southern Hemisphere trees,   not sure where they went but I can't find um. lol

See what I mean about following the same paths as alot of the official players.   LMAO

---Gaston
白龍

lynncanox

Hi Gaston

Do you want to be judged non official for challenge 1 ? We can do this if You want us to, but I see already a expensive tunnel.
Nice terrain, looks a little like desert.

Lynn
judge of GRV 2 Challenge

Gaston

Quote from: lynncanox on March 27, 2009, 10:43:13 PM
Hi Gaston

Do you want to be judged non official for challenge 1 ? We can do this if You want us to, but I see already a expensive tunnel.
Nice terrain, looks a little like desert.

Lynn
Sure I don't mind some "unofficial" judging.    If ya'll have time for it.   LOL   And yeah , I realized I had made a few less than perfect choices on my routes.      I love the terrain too, but the water still needs work.      There used to be a ton of water mods available out there, but I think they must have deleted the older stuff over at STEX and we are sorta limited here on the LEX.      What I need is something with the same patterns but darker.   I was thinking Barby might be able to open an "unofficial" forum for those that want to post "unofficial" pics of there "unofficial" Bordertowns.    Of course that would be "unofficial.     
"$Deal"$

---Gaston
白龍

mrbisonm

Well, if there is anyone else playing GRV II unofficially, it would be a good idea to have another thread opened for them, if it is possible, and we might even judge or throw in our opinion if we can find the time in between the official ones. I don't see a problem there.

Are there more unofficial GRV II Players out there???

If so, come forward please.

Fred