• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bordertown - Challenge 1 by tooheys

Started by tooheys, March 16, 2009, 10:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooheys

Challenge 1, not as easy at it sounds.  &Thk/(

Both the road and rail travel a similar path, east from Munmorah Ridge (TILE A) towards the coast before
turning south thru Bancroft and swinging back to the east to end up in Jolinda Creek (TILE M).

I chose to cross the river at Bancroft as it is the simplest of the middle four tiles and it should be a little
easier to build around the road and rail. Then of course, who knows what the gods have in store for us.
I was tempted to bridge the river at Bancroft Crossing but I had a gut feeling this might come back to haunt
me in the future, so I left well alone.

And this is Munmrah Steps (or TILE B)

Pretty much a west to east transit corridor although the road does seperate from the rail to the east of the pic
for a brief period. Perhaps room for a small town  &idea

So good luck to everyone

Cheers

Dave

newsimaddict

Very sharp planning on your end...I like the movement that you have built (the fact the rail moves away from the road at times)

I like the look of the underwater point on the last pic...is there extra foliage planted there?

mrbisonm

Now that you posted your pictures, you are not allowed to change anything anymore. We made copies and judge the originals only.

We also will not make any comments in this thread besides the judging once it is finished by Wednesday next week, but we will make useful and friendly comments in your regular thread of GRV. Points will be given 3 to 4 days after the challenge is finished and will be posted in the Pointage Sheet.
Also your points only together with an explanation and comments why we gave you these points, will be posted here at the end of this challenge.

mrb/lynncanox

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

TheTeaCat

Quote from: tooheys on March 16, 2009, 10:43:06 PM
Challenge 1, not as easy at it sounds.  &Thk/(

That's what I thought till I tried it too.

Quote from: tooheys on March 16, 2009, 10:43:06 PM
I chose to cross the river at Bancroft as it is the simplest of the middle four tiles and it should be a little
easier to build around the road and rail. Then of course, who knows what the gods have in store for us.
I was tempted to bridge the river at Bancroft Crossing but I had a gut feeling this might come back to haunt
me in the future, so I left well alone

I think this might apply to me too ( what with my 3 bridges in Esperance ::)) but I think you may be ok.

Best of Luck mate and more importantly - have fun playing :thumbsup:

regards

Derry

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

mattb325

Great job tooheys! I had the same thoughts about tile E as well...it just looked too straightforward to cross there....hmmmm

mightygoose

I'm rubbish at downtown rivers and river islands in general so this is going to be an absolute nightmare for me when tile E comes to crunch, partly why i wanted to join up good experience, but I just didn't want to bridge there, with the whole border thing I imagined two sides of the river in the capital staring down at each other...reminds me i must go download the SNM fence lots
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

tooheys

Thanks everyone.

In the end I guess it doesn't matter what route we took, heartache probably isn't too far away  :D

newsimaddict, there was no vegetation on that underwater point at the time of the photo above, that is the effect of my terrain mod. However, things have changed a little and I will post some pic's in my other GRV thread.

Cheers

Dave

mrbisonm

First of all let us congratulate You. You have made it through the first Mayor's test.
On the picture below, circles with letters will indicate what was importantin your region for this challenge. If we say we don't like or we like, it doesn't mean that it's the same for others. We are judging to our lknowledge and what would be the most logical thing to do in our opinion, remember this.

A.  Very good idea to have passed both the road and rail in this section.
B. Excellent choice of having contoured the mountains with both road and rail.
C.  And another good choice to cross the grand river here.

This is one good example on how a mayor should think by keeping it simple, within the budget and well thought over. Congratulations, very good work. Good luck with the next challenge. We couldn't give you an 8 because you did better, nor could we give you a 10 because there are better and shorter ways to cross the region, but we decided to give you a 4.5 for each.

Lynn  and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

quackmofro

tooheys is definitely thinking with a mayoral spirit. Nice going with 9/10!

soulchaser

oh, yes. I almost forgot:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

Jmouse

Congratulations, mate! That's the way I was going to lay out my transport system, too, but we all know about the "best laid plans of mice and women!" :D

Later...
Joan

Pat

LoL Joan thats not right at all  ;D :D

Dave fantastic and  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: double thumbs up from me here and besides its better then bottoms hanging out ;)

Wicked cool and again Congrats my friend on a fantastic Challenge 1 update!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie