• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge No. 1

Started by threestooges, March 22, 2009, 11:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Challenge No. 1:

The following is the result of the construction of Route 10 and GRR's main line through Grand River Valley. The GRV-DOT and GRR had somewhat differing ideas about how best to pass through the region. The DOT opted for a more scenic drive whereas the GRR operated under the principle of "the fastest way between two points is a straight line. This approach is best seen in the southeast area of the region where the track takes a turn and just keeps on going after that.

Due to bridge building and maintenance costs (yes, we know construction was financed by outside sources, but still, no sense in wasting money), both the DOT and GRR made use of the islands in sector E to aid in crossing. Some minimal terraforming was necessary to permit adequate slopes on the approaches (especially on the higher bridges), but no major terrain features of the area have been altered in the process.

1.1.Region

Speaking of sector E, you can already start to see some differences between the areas north and south of the river. The ones to the north have a bit more history to them (a Howe Truss rail bridge and an old stone arch bridge) though they are just as new as their southern compatriots. To the south, the bridges take on a more contemporary and heavy-duty look. The Krummbach design featured into the Grand River spans, and the rail followed a sturdy truss design.

1.2.E

Per the requests of the Governor for clean pics of the region, these pics have not been reduced in scale (I usually resize the scale to 800x600 in case some people have a screen that won't fit it all). However, please let me know if one size over the other would be preferred.

Pat

hehehe Matt wonderful update here and a great start!!! BTW be checking our private area sometime here I say later today on Monday for a certain goodie  hehehe

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Hey Matt, great start here! As predicted, the first challenge wasn't as easy as it sounds, but you've done a fine job of completing it.

Later...
Joan

tooheys

Nice start Matt, the terrain mod's look great.  :)

I still have some concerns about a tile E crossing, but I guess we'll just have to see what Fred has in store for us. :o

Goodluck

Dave

mrbisonm

Now that you posted your pictures, you are not allowed to change anything anymore. We made copies and judge the originals only.

We also will not make any comments in this thread besides the judging once it is finished by Wednesday next week, but we will make useful and friendly comments in your regular thread of GRV. Points will be given 3 to 4 days after the challenge is finished and will be posted in the Pointage Sheet.
Also your points only together with an explanation and comments why we gave you these points, will be posted here at the end of this challenge.

You can start playing and build whatever you want in either tile B,E or H, but only in one of them.

mrb/lynncanox

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

TheTeaCat

Nice work on the region Matt &apls

looking forward to seeing how you develop this region :thumbsup:
Best of luck mate ;)

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

mrbisonm

First of all let us congratulate You. You have made it through the first Mayor's test.
On the picture below, circles with letters will indicate what was important in your region for this challenge. If we say we don't like or we like, it doesn't mean that it's the same for others. We are judging to our lknowledge and what would be the most logical thing to do in our opinion, remember this.

A.  Good path to cross the river for both road and rail.
B.  Again, passing here isn't a good idea. It needed 5 bridges instead of 2, which is heavy on any budget both for construction and maintenance.
C.  Good idea to have passed both road and rail here.

Generally very good, but the passes on the island didn't help you get more points. Congratulations and good luck with challenge 2.

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)