• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge Nr 1: Route 10 and main railroad

Started by turtle, March 24, 2009, 02:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtle

Hello again,

Here are my pictures for Challenge Nr 1:

C1.1 Region in traffic view

and a tile (B-E-H) of my choice:
C1.2 Tile E: Bordertown Route 10

Considerations:
First off,  I have tried a bit to take both the road and railroad around forests and not to break them to much up unless I deemed it necessary.
I choose to show Tile E above because I was a bit weary about making the three bridges in Bordertown. I mean you can wonder wether this river really warrants three bridges. However, I'm not thinking of the two nations as just settling, rather that they have a long history. I'm guessing that there have been a lot of conflict over controlling the river as a means of transportation of goods and passengers further inland to the west. Therefore the islands in the middle of the river have changed hands from time to time, but since a long lasting peace, each of the nations have had one island in possesion each. At first they build a bridge each to their island, but an explosion in trade have laid the grounds for the growing amicality in the relationsship between the two nations. At last they build the middle bridge to make trade and transportation flow easily, but it has also become a common symbol of the friendship between them.
Another consideration is that Route 10 passes through all of the "middle" tiles (B-E-H). I did this since it seems palusible to make the city grow from these tiles. The rail way continues a bit more east before crossing the river because i'm planning to put some industry there a bit away from the center. Furthest to the east in Downland, near Warm Lake, I'm thinking will be the most rational spot for the initial settlement in these lands, providing the settlers came from the sea. This area will probably still be inhabited, and therefore, the railway and Route 10 meet up here.
One last point is the small bump to the north towards Cold Lake which is also because of an initial settlement close to the mountain. I'm thinking that this is where I will start building.
Well, that's about what I was considering while making it.

Thank you for reading :)
Turtle
My name is Thomas...

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mrbisonm

Now that you posted your pictures, you are not allowed to change anything anymore. We made copies and judge the originals only.

We also will not make any comments in this thread besides the judging once it is finished by Wednesday next week, but we will make useful and friendly comments in your regular thread of GRV. Points will be given 3 to 4 days after the challenge is finished and will be posted in the Pointage Sheet.
Also your points only together with an explanation and comments why we gave you these points, will be posted here at the end of this challenge. Good luck.

You can start playing and build whatever you want in either tile B,E or H, but only in one of them.

mrb/lynncanox

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

quackmofro

Nice going, there. Your paths are practically the same as mine except that the road and rail paths are opposite in tile A.

mrbisonm

First of all let us congratulate You. You have made it through the first Mayor's test.
On the picture below, circles with letters will indicate what was important in your region for this challenge. If we say we don't like or we like, it doesn't mean that it's the same for others. We are judging to our lknowledge and what would be the most logical thing to do in our opinion, remember this.

A.  Good choice for both rail and road to have crossed the river.
B.  Tunnels are the worst things that a mayor could build. They are extremely expensive and cost a fortune to maintain. Not a good idea at all.
C.  An error like so many others have made. You just spent money for two more bridges and now you're stuck with the triple maintenance price too.
D.  and E.  both were good ideas for crossing.

Generally well done, but the tunnel and also the two additional bridges were unnecessary. Congratulations and good luck with challenge 2.

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)