• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

mrb's Challenge 2

Started by mrbisonm, April 02, 2009, 10:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

Here's my version of the second challenge. You will be seeing more detailed pictures in my mrbisonm plays GRV II thread soon.

First below this is an overview of the island that I have chosen to build my power and waterstations together with the temporary housings for the both workers of the power and waterstation. They don't travel far at all until they have decided where they want to install themselves and their families on their own later on.

Then below you can see the Pumpingstation, which location was chosen because of the depth of the river, still delivering as pure water as possible for consumption.

The windmill power farm was created with careful studying of dominent winds that come from the southeast up the river and the plains at a regular base. Only seven have been built sofar, but room for several others is still available. The mills have been protected against waves coming from river-traveling ships by a wavebreaker wall.

This is another overview with some more details.

And finally the road challenge. The Mayor took his own idea in his hands and built route 12, starting in tile E (as required) on an intersection with Route 10 in Central District's *downtown*, then crossing the two islands in the same tile, which this time the budget was allowed for, and into the southern part of tile E. From here on,  Route 12 followed the rails right through tile D and into tile G, where then the road was continued on its own towards the southern border in tile G and to be finally connected to the neighboring region.

Before judging my version of Challenge 2, please wait and see the way we have judged others next week, which will also be then explained how. Again, the judging of my challnege 2 will be open to everyone, including players, non-players and lurkers.
Best luck to all other Players and hopefully this gave you an idea how we figured out Challenge 2.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

soulchaser

Looks great.
You showed us your developments so early, because only few are currently posting? I had a hard time in lotting, myself.
I think this is the reason for the lag of posts, not because they're losing interest.

I like your windfarm.  &apls

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

beutelschlurf

moin mrbisonm,

look rearly nice, and i definitely like your windfarm too!  :thumbsup:
... and the watertower!
i think the whole island looks quite nice!

b_schlurf

mrbisonm

Yeah, I noticed that posting is a little slow, maybe it's the beautiful springweather or maybe the fact that they didn't like the budget idea of the last challenge...lol. The reason I posted so early is simply because I wanted to post and have more free time next week. It will be a very busy time for me. Besides it might give you folks a good idea of what is being asked for.

Believe me with challenge 3 it won't be quiet like this, there will be dozens of comments, opinions and questions.....lol :o

Thanks for the positive comments.

Fred

XiahouDun

Weather and a lot of working for me :D Working on mine now $%#Ninj2
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

meinhosen

Very nice windfarm.  I'm a big fan of the little details such as the pilings for another windmill, the breakwater, as well as the dirt streets.  It adds very well to what you've done and gives the perfect image of an small but environmentally conscious community.  I like it.
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

jmyers2043

Hello MrB

I like the pilings in the water and the wind mill farm. Seems someone's been thinking about GRVII for some time now  ???   :D 
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

Quote from: jmyers2043 on April 05, 2009, 08:36:42 AM
Hello MrB
Seems someone's been thinking about GRVII for some time now  ???   :D 

lol....you think so?
Nah, I have done these (and many other BATs not seen or published yet) about a year ago. You can see some of these in my BAT-thread at ST. I guess you will have to gom back some pages though.

GRVII is just a perfect occasion to show them. Most of the others you will see in my MD/CJ Winding River Project in the near future.

Thanks jmyers and meinhosen for the nice comment.

Fred

newsimaddict

i really like the textures in the breakwall - it has that old rustic look as if its been there for years, slowly breaking apart. nice work.

threestooges

Very nice work on this. Your attention to detail really adds to the pics.
-The new route looks like it opens up many new options to the region as a whole: 5
-The windmill farm looks a bit small (but then again I'm used to the mass that's out along I-10 near Palm Desert, CA), but the idea of using the prevailing river winds is a neat idea. The design of the facility and the wall to block the current is well done: 4
-I'm not sure what the capacity of such a water tower would be in real life, but I'll give you points for being able to keep it compact (not too much room out on those islands). For a city of 15-25k, it seems like there might be a bit of low pressure at some points during the day, but it draws from an ample supply. I want to say 3.5 (but I'll leave that up to you).

Total: 12/13 (depending on the score for the water facility)

Very nice work over all.
-Matt

mrbisonm

Thank you Matt, I will gladly accept 12 pts from you, so noted.

Fred

Splime

A. Route 12 clearly opens up more of the region to roads. 5 points.

B. Your power station is great, and it's really neat seeing windmills in the water. I'm a little concerned about maintenance, however, as they are in the sea. 4 points.

C. The pumping station was neat, if not simple. I'm wondering about its capacity to supply 15-25k, however, it does seem a bit small. (Though that is my opinion.) 4 points.

Total: 13 points.

wouanagaine

Route 12 is well placed : 5 point

PumpWater and PowerPlant , very nicely done, very green, but I don't see how the workers will go to repair the pump or the Windmill, there is no seaport ( only some private boats that don't fit the job ), so only 4 + 4 points

Total 13 points

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jmyers2043

While the road runs through an area not serviced it does not pass through tile H. Tile D already has road service. So I think that going through H to get to G would have been a better route. I'll give you a 4 for the road.

Wind power is nice. There is a nearby substation and workshop. The breakwater will protect the generators from waves and debris carried by the current such as logs. I am a bit concerned about the workers homes though. The very first thought that popped into my mind when I first laid eyes on your challenge was that the homes would be prone to annual spring floods. Why would anyone want to build out there? And I couldn't get past my first impression. So the creative aspect of the power plant is a 5 but the nearby homes get a 3. Would have gotten lower but for the fact that the housing looks so well done. And the home under construction is brilliant. Average the two and the power station gets a 4.

The water pump sitting out in the water is (as the wind power) very creative. And I like it. I used to live in North Augusta in South Carolina and they drew their water from the Savannah River. I guess that's still true, but I digress. Water gets a solid 4 from me.

Total for the challenge is 12.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mightygoose

i agree with many of the aforementioned statements and would also award 4/4/4 = 12 points to you mrB
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

metarvo

Road - 4

I'm afraid you're only getting a 4 for the new road.  In the rules, all players are instructed to start the road from Route 10 and have it go through three other city tiles, but yours only goes through two other tiles.  Even so, the route is well chosen and the access to the southwestern parts of GRVII is important.

Power - 5

This could have been a 4, since the choice to go with only underground power lines seems generic and the construction of all of those windmills in the water might cause problems for water traffic should a port ever be built.  However, it's going to be a 5 because the construction of the windmills in the water is a good plan to save land for future development.

Water - 5

It makes sense that the water facility would be in the water.  That's one of the things that bothers me about the Maxis water pumps, since they are designed to work even if the city is a desert.  This is great for flexibility, and I do use them, but water pumps that can be placed in the water do make more sense.  The facility seems almost too small to support a lot of future development, but I'll let that go since you have placed it so well.  You get a 5.

Total - 14

Very good.  Of course, it's no surprise, since I'm sure you were planning GRVII long before we ever saw it.  Keep up the good work, Fred.   :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Rayden

Quote from: metarvo on April 16, 2009, 06:17:47 AM
Road - 4

I'm afraid you're only getting a 4 for the new road.  In the rules, all players are instructed to start the road from Route 10 and have it go through three other city tiles, but yours only goes through two other tiles.

Have a look again, it goes over three tiles ;)

metarvo

Three tiles, yes, but not three other tiles, as pointed out in the rules.  Since one of the three tiles is Route 12's intersection with Route 10, I don't interpret it to be an "other" tile.  Maybe I misread the rules, but I know I saw it in there.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Rayden

Quote from: metarvo on April 16, 2009, 07:51:21 AM
Three tiles, yes, but not three other tiles, as pointed out in the rules.  Since one of the three tiles is Route 12's intersection with Route 10, I don't interpret it to be an "other" tile.  Maybe I misread the rules, but I know I saw it in there.
You're absolutely right my friend, that "other" word makes the whole difference :thumbsup:

soulchaser

Just a small statement:

1.) 5 pts for the road: good direction, good access.

2.) 4 pts for the power: looks grat and in size, but wind might be stronger from east or west (land-sea-/sea-land-wind).

3.) 3 pts for the water: looks a bit small and even if the river is very deep, there will be a lot of dirt and chemical noise from the farms around there.

total: 12 pts

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!