• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 2 - Power and Water

Started by jmyers2043, April 03, 2009, 08:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

Part 1 - Power.

You'll see from part three of the challenge that Bordertownw has grown. A small community formed along the northern bank of the Grand River where HWY 276 crosses. The village is home to a couple of small industrials. The main employer is the J Myers Natural Gas Plant.

Front View and Close Up.

Aerial and side view which includes some of the nearby homes.

Part 2 - Water.

QuoteA little story with it could be interesting but is not necessary.

Contest drains city water supply.

BORDERTOWNE, April 2009  - - "I was just really thirsty" said Bob Mangarten after he and his mates drank every last drop of the entire 1 million gallon Bordertowne water supply.  Bob is a telephone repair man and a chicken wing connoisseur.  "We just stopped in at Pedro's Spicy Wings on the way home from work this past Friday where we were talking shop and decided on a spur to have this contest".

The contest is one of those manly macho things about who can consume the greatest number of spicy hot chicken wings.  Fact is that many Sim men along with Bob and his mates have been drinking more than their share since Pedro's Spicy Wings opened for business at the corner of Route 10 and First Street. "We have 6 different heat levels for our chicken wings" says Pedro. "We have Wimpy sauce which is for women and children. The hottest three flavors are called Volcano, Nuclear, and Rocket Fuel."

"I apologize that our actions left the town's water supply high and dry" said the noticeably bloated MrBisonM.  MrB finished second in the wing eating contest downing 12 volcano, 8 Nuclear, and 6 Rocket Fuel wings before making a dash for the tap water.   

The actions of these men did not go un-noticed when angry residents started to call the city help line. The mayor promised the towns folk that he will do everything in his power to make sure the town has water tomorrow. He also said he would start making plans to build another aquifer water tower to insure this sort of thing wouldn't happen again. This is a step in the right direction but did not totally satisfy the mayor's constituents because he has been under scrutiny recently for poor road building decision making. Critics of city hall say that the mayor lacks forward thinking regarding city services and future town growth. Let alone satisfying the needs of patron's who frequent Pedro's Spicy Wings. 

A spokesperson for the mayor's office said "I guess they were just desperate for a drink." Bob promised they would drive over to nearby Whimperthorpe to Mahatma's Curry Palace the next time.

This screen grab proves that Mayor Jim is living up to his promise to build another Aquifer Water Tower. 

Aerial View showing nearby housing and some warehouses.

On a personal note: Mayor Jim is not into plopping things into the game for the sake of having something pretty. I know that I need to set aside some of my utilitarian ways for GRVII. But generally speaking I want my structures to work or do something if it is going to take up 3X3 tiles. With that in mind, the above Water Tower under construction provides the same amount of water now as it will when built (which by the way is never but that's beside the point. Don't tell the governor that.)

Part 3 - More roadworks

HWY 276 intersects Route 10 on the east side of Bordertowne near the banks of Whiskey Run. It crosses the Grand River making use of two islands. As we all know, laying roads on dry land is much cheaper than building bridge spans and it is my estimate that I was able to save the cost of 4 or 5 spans by using the natural bridging effect of the islands.

Why build to the Northeast? A key element to GRVII growth is to connect the coastal town of Hogback to Bordertowne. The road will provide an economic means for transporting iron from the mountains to the ACME Boiler Works. A side benefit is the recreational opportunities the mountains provide to Bordertowne residents such as rock climbing, bungee jumping, hiking, and skiing.

Regional View.   

<edited to correct a spelling mistake>

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

Your challenge 2 is well done according to the rules and the demands. You can now play on 2 more citytiles anywhere in your region. This will be a part of challenge 3. Make sure that you have at least 100 citizens in all three tiles you played in (no population max limit).

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

dedgren

That's a great power plant, Jim.  I didn't find that one in my search for what I was looking for, and wound up building a dam instead.  The little story was fun, and I'm glad you tried out the shoreline route for 276.  I'm still undecided and thought about trying it just to see what Fred and Lynn would say.  Now I can try another and still find out.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

ooo Jim Pedro's seems like a place I would love to eat at!!! Yummies the sauces would kill me but dang give me the heat!!! I enjoyed your story sir and it was a great read, a lot better then my ramblings lol....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mrbisonm

Judging of Challenge 2

A.  Excellent choice of new route location, one of the best of this challenge. We gave you a solid 5 points for this challenge.
B.   Very good looking energyplant, but unfortunetly because the homes of the workes and other residents are too close for our taste and the pollution is not what we were looking for, we gave you 3 points for the powerchallenge.
C.   Very nicely done water ressource with good choice of lots and very original. We couldn't resist to give you a solid 4 points for the waterchallenge.

A Total of 12 Points were added to your challenge.

Congratulations, very well done, it was a pleasure for us to had a good look at the combination of lots and BATs. Excellent choice.

Very good work and Good luck with the next challenge.

Lynn and Fred

EDIT: Excellent story, it was fun to read.
Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

jmyers2043

Thank you, Fred. The points were more than expected and I appreciate the additional points to my total score. This was a fun challenge. I worked my keester off on that power plant and gained 3 points. Whoo Hooo! On the other hand, I quickly placed the road down - merely making sure I didn't dig too much into the earth - and got the most points.  :D  There is a lesson to be learned somewhere. Maybe I'll learn it by the time we get to challenge 9? 

&idea   :)   

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)