• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 3

Started by BarbyW, April 17, 2009, 02:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbyW

" What on earth has happened ? " spluttered Mayor Barby as she rode through the Hightown district of Bordertown. "Nearly all the bridges are cut off on the other side. What is going on?"

She put a call through to the mayor of Lowtown. "Why have you cut the rail bridge and two of the road bridges?", she asked.
"Our farmers are most unhappy at the logging that you have been doing in the north." He replied. "We saw your huge logging mill and the mess left by your loggers in our beautiful forests and decided we had had enough. No further logging will be allowed on our side of the river – NONE." He emphasised. "Our borders are now sealed and only one river crossing will be allowed. Checkpoints will ensure that no more wood leaves our side of the river again."

The logging mill in Border East (Tile M)

With that he put his telephone down. Mayor Barby ordered a helicopter to see just what had happened to the bridges. The farmers had set up barriers and had armed themselves against possible attack. Mayor Barby looked at the pictures and decided that no action would be taken apart from defensive ones. She didn't want a full scale war and had no intention of arming her citizens. " I am sure we can come to a peaceful agreement", she told her counsellors. "We shall have to wait now for a move from Lowtown and see what will happen." As the export route to the west was now cut off she ordered the building of Route 15 to connect straight through Hightown to the west. It was done as straight as possible for speed and easy of use. Now Hightown could export to the west and to the south.

The destruction left by Hightown's loggers and the new barricades at the now cut off bridges in Border East(Tile M)

In Border Middle (Tile F) the barricade and cut off point.

The only remaining crossing (Tile E) has checkpoints on both islands.

John Powers, Utilities Counsellor, suggested cutting off the power to Lowtown but Mayor Barby refused saying, "I am not going to allow anything that may be taken as an act of war or hostility. The power cable to Lowtown must not be touched. That is an order. We shall, however, need to ensure that we have fresh water in case they decide to cut our access to the water supply. There are fresh water lakes in Hightown West (Tile G) so let's make a new waterworks there." BLS, in conjunction with SG Inc, was contracted to make the new waterworks. A combination of fresh water pumped up from the lake and collected rain water seemed to fit the bill and ensure future needs could be met. A source of geo-thermal power was also discovered close by so an emergency power plant was built as well.

Bordertown (Tile E) was now divided along the line of the river. Neutral ground was declared on the sacred island but a checkpoint was set up on the smaller island and also a patrol boat facility was built. At this point in time no military installations had been made and the patrol boats were ordered to watch only. No act of possible hostility was to be made. The southern part of the city had developed rapidly as one of the main cities in the region. It had good land for development and easy access to the other main part in Hightown. There are now over 30 000 citizens in this part most of whom live and work on the south side of the river.

There was panic in Hightown (Tile H) and some of the more fearful quickly built canals for defence and moved their houses, offices and factories into the safe areas. Everything they needed was now safe inside the canal boundary. Ferries took them to work and freight boats carried the goods for export.

Unfortunately they could not cut access to the gold mine but it was fairly well protected in the bend of the river. As the river was patrolled by boats they were quite happy that their gold was safe.

The situation calmed down and Mayor Barby is now waiting for further moves from the Mayor of Lowtown. She sincerely hopes that war will not start as she is a most peaceful person who dislikes disputes of any kind but will, if needed, take any steps necessary to protect her citizens.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

mightygoose

great work, btw whose mine is that in the last picture?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

BarbyW

The CSX Harmony Gold Mine - available on the DVD only at the moment.

soulchaser

I like what you've done. esp. the logging mill and the mine.

Seems like your maintown is quite big now

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

BarbyW

There has been a lot more development in the south since the region picture above was taken but I left it showing the early development.

mrbisonm

Thank you for your update.

We have now taken note and copied the pictures of your challenge 3, it will be judged after the deadline.
Now you can do whatever you wish to do within your regionhalf only, but make sure not to overbuild it comparing to the rest of the region. It might give you some serious problems later on.
You do NOT have the right to touch anything of the part that belongs to the Separatists.

Challenge 4 will be partially given by your adversary and you will give a challenge to someone else. Who will be challenging who and the matter of the challenge will be discussed in the Challenge 4 thread once everyone has turned in their part of this challenge.

Are you ready to be told what to do by a Separatist and a Governor? Good luck and we hope you enjoyed this one.

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

mattb325

No wonder they got angry - look at the mess they left of the forest  ()sad()

Just kidding :P...the city has come along very nicely - I really like the new water facility.

meinhosen

A very nice job!  Big fan of the logging mill, the pic of the deforestation (not sure that I've ever seen that before), as well as the fences where your bridges were cut off.

Nice work!
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

Pat

Barby wonderful job here and love the mine and also the mill!!! BTW is the Mill on the DVD or is that a project in progress???

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Swamper77

The mill is in progress. It is the lumber mill (unreleased BSC Project) that I keep hinting about in my Garage thread with the RTL progress.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

jmyers2043

I like the logging premise and enjoyed reading your story.  Seems Peg's logging props came in handy   ::)   :D 

Boy – Your main town has sure grown.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

newsimaddict

Love the gold mine and the lighting on the church! Always a pleasure to see new lots in your updates.

Diggis

Looking good Barby, great use of SG's canals, where did you get that ferry from?

BarbyW

The ferry is one of vester's.

Orange_o_

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

lynncanox

Challenges are getting harder to do, so does the judging, and we soon need more time to judge the challenges. I know this took awhile but we have been working on it for quite awhile and since our judging is being done separately, we have to bring them together before presenting the final results. Thank you for being patient. So here they are.

A.  Like always you're going right to the point. The new route is straight right through about the best way it could have been built. We gave you 5 points for the route challenge.
B.  The use of military lots are great. Although the fences are a little too long and planned out to have been built overnight, we still liked it a lot, because they were very well placed and detailed we gave you a solid 4 points for the cutoff challenge.
C. 43,000 population...wow...you haven't been "lagging" at all. Like we say here in Québec *Pas d'chomage pour toi* (no unemployment insurance for you). No kidding, great going, your region certainly advances, even more than mine.(lol) You have built some nice places. We gave you 5 points for your regional works, a lot of well done things and excellent developpments.

A Total of 14 Points were added to your challenge.

The story that came along was very good and was well adjusted with the pictures.Very good work and good luck with the separatists.

Lynn and Fred
judge of GRV 2 Challenge