• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 4

Started by threestooges, May 02, 2009, 01:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

It has come to my understanding that we are set to receive communications from the sepratists. I'm not sure what all it will entail, but we are interested in hearing from them.

soulchaser

----Transmission Start----

CONFIDENTIAL

Further Information for Leadership of Bordertown, South

As the Headquarter is planning a rise in industrial goods, Bordertown was chosen for developing aforementioned.
Therefor an industrial area has to be announced as well as supporting utilities as a powerplant and a watersource.
We suggest the following approach:

Regarding some buffer area (marked as Deathzones), there should be built some industrial area with nonpredetermined density in the southwest of Tile E. Within this area, there should be installed a supporting power plant, which might support further developments, in a well chosen place. The same is with the water supply; build it in the SW wherever there's a fitting place. In the southeastern part, we need some houses for the workers (Residential = green), as important as some stores for them, to fullfill their daily needs (Commercial = blue).

We want to mention, that the map is just a rough guideline and these areas don't have to be that dense. You also may build a school, hospital or train station or other similar utilities, if one is needed to fullfill the workers' demands.

At last, we ask you to build a fence or wall to avoid adverse intruders, marked red.

We are open for any suggestions, if the plans don't fit the terrain!

The HQ

CONFIDENTIAL

----Transmission End----

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

threestooges

Open a line in response...

>We are in receipt of your orders, but request some clarification to best produce the desired outcomes.
>
>As we understand your current plans industry will play a big part. Is there a preference clean(er)/dirty or factories/warehouses/high tech?
>
>In addition, power and water are to be in the SW, but what sort of power source would you like to use? That will have an impact on development.
>
>We will be "acquiring" our barriers from the Sim Nation Military system to ensure adequate protection.
>
>End transmission
>
>...

----Transmission End----

soulchaser

Industry: In regard to export and the along carried economy benefits, we don't care what kind of industrie. whether you get some smaller but wealth HT, or many dirty ones or anything (mixed) between is equal.

Power plant: as our movement doesn't have a lot of financial ressources 2 points are important: cheap & easy. Nuclear power would be a bit hard to realise, but if there's useable radioactive material you found, go for it.

Barriers: We don't get the point. Is there a problem? - As we don't see any aggressive actions, recently, we don't need to militarize everything too much. we just need barriers to keep curious nines (sorry...insiderjoke) out there.

The HQ

----Transmission End----

Recently Iced

threestooges

This post will be the placeholder for the terms dictated to JMyers in his Challenge 4 thread. The terms here are subject to change as negotiations are still pending. Since the final terms have not yet been confirmed, if there is a discrepancy between the terms listed here and anything posted by me in his GRV Challenge 4 thread, what is posted in his thread takes precedence.

Quote from: threestooges on May 02, 2009, 02:00:46 PM
The river is such a nice place, we're planning to develop a number of residences there. Low density. They'll be mixed in with some smaller shops and services: gas stations, markets, and other such things. No office towers, strip centers or other large scale structures. This is a quiet area where you can sit on your back porch, savor a drink and watch the river flow by. These areas are generally indicated on the image above in light green and blue areas.

In our investigation of this area, there is a nice little hill at the bend in the river (circled with a small darker green line) that would make an excellent observation point, or a fort (we're still not sure what you all are up to up there, and we're not taking any chances). There's a small dark green area just north of the circle too, where the residences end along the river. This is also to be made into a small park no less than 3x4 tiles. there is no maximum size except what reason and the image suggest.

The yellow spots will be zoned for industrial development to take advantage of the road and rail intersection. Oh, I didn't mention this yet? There will be a road that will eventually connect Routes 25 and 10 that crosses the tracks there. There will be two additional bridges in this area right around the hill (as shown on the image). Though not necessary, some of the industries father from the main rail line have requested a single rail spur line (STR) to some of the larger facilities. This is not a necessity.

At the intersection of the road and rail there will be a passenger and frieght station to aid in access to areas further south. Style and scale is up to you.

Two last things and I'll leave you alone for now. To better allow people to enjoy their spirits, and to keep the roads clear of drunk drivers, we'll be installing a light rail network. This does not need to be completed yet, but it will eventually trace around the new houses and loop up into E, crossing the river about where the raised bridge is in E. We have yet to determine the right of way through there yet, but it is something to be considered.

Lastly, areas that have not been allocated yet will likely be zoned for agricultural needs. None of those massive rectangular farms though, they should have some character to them, some flow.

That's a lot to take in, so to summarize:
Required:
-Low density residential and commercial development along the river on both sides.
-Fort or observation area on the hill with a park below. The area should give a good view of the surrounding area but be a good place for our families to relax
-A road that will eventually connect with Routes 25 and 10. It appears straight in the image, but bends are acceptable
-Industrial development around the rail/road intersection
-A passenger and freight facility at the same intersection

Suggested:
-STR spurs to some of the more outlying industries to connect them to the mainlline
-agricultural areas filling in areas not otherwise developed (these may be developed into other things in the future, but we could use the food now)
-light rail tracks and stations that will follow the new residential developments

I realize this is a lot to accomplish. If it seems like more than you expected, get in touch with me and we can discuss things. Lunch is on me next time.
-Matt (threestooges)

Quote from: threestooges on May 04, 2009, 12:44:53 AM
"Splendid" the Stooges thought as they surveyed the construction work of Myers Contacting Corp. LLC. The roads are progressing nicely. The bridges look pretty good too. We'd like to see something of a more traditional/historic style, but we'll certainly leave that up to the contractor's discretion. If you want to make a larger frieight yard, feel free to move it across the river, I hadn't realized how small the area was when I made the challenge orders.

As for power and water, I didn't want to give you too much to worry about. As I understand, we have access to the North's stuff now (but we would like to avoid using that stuff if at all possible). But if you are interested, go ahead and make a nice water pumping facility along the river to the south border of E. Select any means of power you like, but try to give it a custom look and not just a basic Maxis one. Not coal... too dirty, but don't worry about going spotlessly clean. Put it west of the industrial sector along the road that cuts across the tile. Note that these are only suggested goals for this challenge. You can always use the... North's... power and water for now.
basic summary of this second quote: bridge design is preferred in the older styles, but is not required, and power and water are only suggestions at this point to make meeting demands under time constraints easier, however, they are strongly desired.

threestooges

===Transmission Start===
To: The HQ

Construction is proceeding smoothly and our industrial capacity is picking up speed. However, Construction plans never specified for new roads/bridges or any form of mass transit system for the South to use. Please advise, otherwise we will go with what we can and can change things later.

Rail has been extended into the industrial sector to support the newly build freight station. We will soon be able to ship to areas further south.

Fences have been installed per orders and ""Death Zones" have been cleared for better visibility.

Power and water have been located south of the rail bridge on the west side of the river. Power is Natural Gas. Water is pumped from the river. Gas suggests oil and some drilling has begun. Please advise if drilling should continue.

Pictures to follow soon.

Awaiting response on transit and oil.
===Transmission End===

soulchaser

Efforts sound good. Drilling for oil is requested.

Install bridges as far as needed and fonds are available. Remember our aim is economoc benefits.

Mass transit is suggested if inhabitants demand it. Only a happy resident is a good worker.

The HQ

----Transmission End----

Recently Iced

mrbisonm

Reminder:

Only a little more than 24 hours is allowed for your update, you had two weeks, remember this please.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

threestooges

Have no fear. I have pics ready to go in the event of a worst case scenario, but I've been working to expand my industrial variety.

jmyers2043

Quote from: threestooges on May 17, 2009, 01:26:50 AM
Have no fear. I have pics ready to go in the event of a worst case scenario, but I've been working to expand my industrial variety.

I know what you're going through. I snapped over 100 screen grabs for this update. It took three evenings to go through them chosing the ones that told my story the best. I have newfound respect for those who have been making diaries all these years. Besides that, competition is tough. Every point counts.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

threestooges

Here is the formal submission of the GRV Challenge 4:
(Had a bit of an earthquake here, pictures are now posted to ensure the deadline is met, descriptions and other decorative text will follow)
(Text added. Pictures have not been changed in any way)

Orders:

Quote from: threestooges on May 02, 2009, 02:00:46 PM
*threestooges walks in, sets a folder on the table, grabs one of the two Whopper Jr. Meals, and sits at the other side of the table*

Thanks for lunch. If you look at the photo contained in the packet in front of you, you'll see our initial plans for quad H, outlined in red. To supplement this, we will need zone maps for any southern tiles that have been developed identifying any civic structures that are in place. Additionally, we will need information on what sources of power/water, if any, are presently on the Southern side. Thank you in advance for providing this information.

fig. 1

The river is such a nice place, we're planning to develop a number of residences there. Low density. They'll be mixed in with some smaller shops and services: gas stations, markets, and other such things. No office towers, strip centers or other large scale structures. This is a quiet area where you can sit on your back porch, savor a drink and watch the river flow by. These areas are generally indicated on the image above in light green and blue areas.

In our investigation of this area, there is a nice little hill at the bend in the river (circled with a small darker green line) that would make an excellent observation point, or a fort (we're still not sure what you all are up to up there, and we're not taking any chances). There's a small dark green area just north of the circle too, where the residences end along the river. This is also to be made into a small park no less than 3x4 tiles. there is no maximum size except what reason and the image suggest.

The yellow spots will be zoned for industrial development to take advantage of the road and rail intersection. Oh, I didn't mention this yet? There will be a road that will eventually connect Routes 25 and 10 that crosses the tracks there. There will be two additional bridges in this area right around the hill (as shown on the image). Though not necessary, some of the industries father from the main rail line have requested a single rail spur line (STR) to some of the larger facilities. This is not a necessity.

At the intersection of the road and rail there will be a passenger and frieght station to aid in access to areas further south. Style and scale is up to you.

Two last things and I'll leave you alone for now. To better allow people to enjoy their spirits, and to keep the roads clear of drunk drivers, we'll be installing a light rail network. This does not need to be completed yet, but it will eventually trace around the new houses and loop up into E, crossing the river about where the raised bridge is in E. We have yet to determine the right of way through there yet, but it is something to be considered.

Lastly, areas that have not been allocated yet will likely be zoned for agricultural needs. None of those massive rectangular farms though, they should have some character to them, some flow.

That's a lot to take in, so to summarize:
Required:
-Low density residential and commercial development along the river on both sides.
-Fort or observation area on the hill with a park below. The area should give a good view of the surrounding area but be a good place for our families to relax
-A road that will eventually connect with Routes 25 and 10. It appears straight in the image, but bends are acceptable
-Industrial development around the rail/road intersection
-A passenger and freight facility at the same intersection

Suggested:
-STR spurs to some of the more outlying industries to connect them to the mainlline
-agricultural areas filling in areas not otherwise developed (these may be developed into other things in the future, but we could use the food now)
-light rail tracks and stations that will follow the new residential developments

I realize this is a lot to accomplish. If it seems like more than you expected, get in touch with me and we can discuss things. Lunch is on me next time.
-Matt (threestooges)

Quote from: threestooges on May 04, 2009, 12:44:53 AM
"Splendid" the Stooges thought as they surveyed the construction work of Myers Contacting Corp. LLC. The roads are progressing nicely. The bridges look pretty good too. We'd like to see something of a more traditional/historic style, but we'll certainly leave that up to the contractor's discretion. If you want to make a larger frieight yard, feel free to move it across the river, I hadn't realized how small the area was when I made the challenge orders.

As for power and water, I didn't want to give you too much to worry about. As I understand, we have access to the North's stuff now (but we would like to avoid using that stuff if at all possible). But if you are interested, go ahead and make a nice water pumping facility along the river to the south border of E. Select any means of power you like, but try to give it a custom look and not just a basic Maxis one. Not coal... too dirty, but don't worry about going spotlessly clean. Put it west of the industrial sector along the road that cuts across the tile. Note that these are only suggested goals for this challenge. You can always use the... North's... power and water for now.

We find it a sorry thing indeed that the "Leadership" of the South decided to split with us. To remind us, and them, of the past, and the road ahead to the future, we have built this memorial on our island in the river. The fountain in the center provides a quiet place of reflection and is flanked by two upward sloping walls. One ascending in the opposite direction from the other. This is to reflect the differing paths of the two sides, but also shows that each may grow in their path. There are two gilded statues of phoenixes watching over the site in the hopes that the unity of both nations will be reborn... if they conceed to their error...

Some stuff from our side:

Our farms continue to develop. Many are specialty farms, often family owned and cultivated.

A rural church for those who do not wish to make the drive into town. It's nestled in a stand of aspens and has a quiet little pond across the way.

On their side to fulfill the South's orders:

Zone shot: As requested in the communications: the design was stuck to as closely as possible.

Oil was discovered in some quantity and this has led to numerous expeditionary wells around the area. Also visible in this pic is a freight rail station that was built to accommodate freight delivery to points further south. A connection has been establshed to the mainline as well as to Tile D. This area is the heart of the industrial area.

Also to note in this picture is the security fence that was constructed as per orders. The "Death Zone" has been cleared of all trees and obstructions leaving only the stumps (they would've taken too much time to remove. A guard post has been built at each of the fence openings where roads pass through.

The South's commercial sector features a number of small shops and services and some areas around the plaza have been zoned for later office development. The plaza was designed as a focal point of the area before the sector spilled across Route 10 (as seen in the Zone Map above).

The South has established its own utilities: a natural gas powerplant (a nice side effect from the oil drilling) that powers steam turbines from within the plant. The water is drawn from the creek. This creek is also the source for the water needs of the south as well as the departure point for the South's garbage program (where they send it, we don't know, but it's getting rid of it).

In addition to the utilities this picture shows an additional bridge that was built pursuant to a communication sent to the South's Leadeship noting that the main bridge (on Route 10) was grossly overcrowded and preventing development of industry. The South has ample land, and it appears to be the intent to capitalize on it as fast as possible, so the bridge seems to be just enough to allow cars to cross. It stands in contrast to the sturdy, elaborate truss bridge built when Route 10 first went through. Though the design used here might be a good design, and one that allows for traffic to cross, the 1000+ cars that the road is currently fielding seems to be a bit much. Hopefully the South will consider alternative means of transit, or additional bridges or capacity upgrades. Construction crews will be waiting for them when a decision is made.

soulchaser

Efforts look great. Could have been showing more.

Waiting for some more details in future messages.

Demands fullfilled.

The HQ

----Transmission End----

Recently Iced

mrbisonm

Glad you were able to finish this challenge without too many difficulties again, now did you?. We have taken notice of your pictures and your separatist demand. Thank you.

Now we will take the time again to judge it properly which may take a few days. We will have the time enough to do so since the next challenge will have  two weeks to be worked on.
You still have no right at all to touch the separatists side of the region, but you can build whatever your desire is in your half, of course with fully respecting the general Rules.
Thank you and Good luck. Lynn already started judging some days ago.

Lynn and Fred

mrbisonm

Judgements for challenge 4.

We have been away from judgements for the summer, first because of some illness of Lynn's mother and then missing some free time, after we took an almost two month vacation, but now we're back judging. Most of these judgements were done since quite a while, but only on paper.
This challenge was a bit harder to judge than others, because orders were given by an adversary, so we will judge it so, putting ourselves in the shoes of the adversary. I must say that we also were very generous with points at this time, something that we will change a little bit for the next coming challenges. Don't worry, we won't start giving bad points now..... ;) Please go and judge my challenge 4 now. Thank you.

1.  The demands given to your adversary were a little confusing and not quite clea and also demanding, but logical and useful to the region. We had some arguments about the points but ended up with giving you 5 points.

2.  Demands from the seaparatists were fulfilled. Good job. some more details could have been added here and there, but generally very good. 4 points are added.

3.  The park look very good and well thought of. The story that comes along and the description alone is woth 5 points. Good job.

We enjoyed the oildigging part of the industries and some of your farms, definiytively something you enjoy building. 14 points have been added to your total.

Fred and Lynn