• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Metarvo GRVII - Challenge 4

Started by metarvo, May 02, 2009, 05:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

I have received word that Cabrabuitre has been appointed as the Separatists' ambassador to my side of the Grand River, so I am prepared to receive any demands I am given.

In other news, I have been summoned to antn's GRVII region to lead a similar rebellion there.

Here are the orders I have given antn (amended after negotiations on May 5):

Quote from: metarvo on May 02, 2009, 10:02:29 AM
I have been appointed as the Separatist leader for your region, so I am going to issue my first orders now.

1. Build a power plant
Since our side does not have its own power plant, we need you to build one on the north side of the river, in Tile K.  Make sure that it's not unreasonably big, but don't make it too small either.  We don't want any nuclear explosions on our side (they would be treated as hostile acts), so don't build a nuclear plant.  Make sure that power is connected to the town in Tile B via your choice of power lines, whether they are above ground or underground.

2. Build a water supply
We will also need our own water facility, so we would like to see one.  Any location in Tile K near the water would be great, as long as it's not right next to the power plant, but try to avoid building it too far away.  A treatment plant must also be built near the water facility to ensure that we get clean, pure water.  Make sure that the water facility is connected to the town in Tile B via water pipes.

3. Begin developing a town in Tile K
Plan on developing between 50 and 150 new residential zones in Tile K.  If residential demand is too low to meet this number, you must raise residential demand with new commercial or industrial zones, new civic structures, or lower taxes.  Build schools, clinics, or hospitals as necessary to ensure that all homes are covered.

4. Zone some farmland
I notice a lack of farmland in the area we've been given.  Some of us would like the chance to buy land cheap and sell it back for a profit later.  Until then, farms are a good placeholder, and they provide a needed resource to any region.  Plan on allowing us to develop between 12 and 24 new farms in Tile K.

5. Build a new road
You must build a new road from the power plant or water facility in Tile K and connect it to C10 Route 18 anywhere on our side of the river.  The new road can be a Road, Street, or SAM Street, but it must provide access to either the power plant or water facility.  Make sure that the other facility (power or water) has road access as well, by building another new road if necessary.

That's all for now.  Feel free to ask questions if necessary.  Good luck, antn!
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

CabraBuitre

Sorry this took a while to post.  My grandfather just passed away and life has been crazy with work.

Now for the orders!  You'll be building all of this in tile I.

You were right about the power plant... we Southerners hate the thing!  The constant breeze from the north blows soot onto our land and the sulfer smell is always there too.

The first order is to build some sustainable wind power.  And we don't want those fancy modern wind generators... we want the ones made by gshmails over at Simtropolis!  

And while you're at it, let's conserve some water supply on our side too... such as the old Chicago Water Tower.

After we don't have to worry about being cut off from the essentials from the North, we want to make something special of our land to the south.  You should develop housing and commerce with the proper services (police, fire, medical, schools, waste elimination, etc).  Also, please build an industrial park that is set apart from the housing with some sort of buffer (natural or otherwise) with a rail connection to tile M (to eventually link to the rail connection there) that also connects to tile H (for future development in that direction too).  Also, make sure that you have two road connections to tiles F, H, and M

And finally, we want a central park to be built with a central fountain.

These are your orders!

Check out Abelfarei!

metarvo

I'm sorry about your loss, CabraBuitre.   ()sad()  I understand that this may have contributed to the delay, so there's no hard feelings there.

So far, your challenge seems reasonable, but I can't find the utility buildings that you have requested.

I haven't heard of the Chicago Water Tower before, so I would have no idea where to start searching.  Could you be a little more specific?  Also, the search is down over at ST so I can't find the wind generators by gshmails that you refer to.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

CabraBuitre

I'll see what I can do about getting you those links.  ST was down last night when I was typing everything up, too, so I couldn't link directly.  If it doesn't work, then I'll modify my requests.

OK, found 'em via google search:

Here's the windmill:

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=2351

And here's the Chicago Watertower.  (info about: LINK)  (real life pic below)

The functional lot is HERE and requires a dependency HERE

Check out Abelfarei!

metarvo

Challenge 4

Here we are.  I'll post the orders I gave to antn one more time just so they will be in the same post as my pics:

Quote from: metarvo on May 02, 2009, 10:02:29 AM
I have been appointed as the Separatist leader for your region, so I am going to issue my first orders now.

1. Build a power plant
Since our side does not have its own power plant, we need you to build one on the north side of the river, in Tile K.  Make sure that it's not unreasonably big, but don't make it too small either.  We don't want any nuclear explosions on our side (they would be treated as hostile acts), so don't build a nuclear plant.  Make sure that power is connected to the town in Tile B via your choice of power lines, whether they are above ground or underground.

2. Build a water supply
We will also need our own water facility, so we would like to see one.  Any location in Tile K near the water would be great, as long as it's not right next to the power plant, but try to avoid building it too far away.  A treatment plant must also be built near the water facility to ensure that we get clean, pure water.  Make sure that the water facility is connected to the town in Tile B via water pipes.

3. Begin developing a town in Tile K
Plan on developing between 50 and 150 new residential zones in Tile K.  If residential demand is too low to meet this number, you must raise residential demand with new commercial or industrial zones, new civic structures, or lower taxes.  Build schools, clinics, or hospitals as necessary to ensure that all homes are covered.

4. Zone some farmland
I notice a lack of farmland in the area we've been given.  Some of us would like the chance to buy land cheap and sell it back for a profit later.  Until then, farms are a good placeholder, and they provide a needed resource to any region.  Plan on allowing us to develop between 12 and 24 new farms in Tile K.

5. Build a new road
You must build a new road from the power plant or water facility in Tile K and connect it to C10 Route 18 anywhere on our side of the river.  The new road can be a Road, Street, or SAM Street, but it must provide access to either the power plant or water facility.  Make sure that the other facility (power or water) has road access as well, by building another new road if necessary.

That's all for now.  Feel free to ask questions if necessary.  Good luck, antn!

Now, it's time to see how CabraBuitre's challenge has been dealt with:

A town has been built in Tile I.  The power-generating windmills are turned to take advantage of the north wind that constantly blows through here.  An elementary school and high school have been built, although the small-town high school has no sports program yet.

A night shot.  The city park's fountain is illuminated at night.  The water tower is built in the commercial sector, but it has been built to blend in fairly well with the city's architecture.

A close-up of a residential area.  The town's clinic can be seen here, along with the police and fire stations.

This is the industrial park, set apart from the residential neighborhoods by a forest.  The waste incinerator is located here so that it won't spread pollution over the houses.

Here is an overhead picture, which pinpoints the locations of every road or rail neighbor connection in Tile I.

Let's see how the north is developing at this point.

"We, the residents of Bordertown, are most saddened by the separation of our region.  It is our sincere hope that Grand Valley once again unites.  Until that day comes, we will remember the times we have shared with the other side.  The good times, and the bad times alike.  Lest we forget, this monument has been constructed in their honor."

Tile F is slowly being populated.  Proximity to not only the railroad but also the Grand River has attracted some farmers to the area, although it has repelled some who say they want nothing to do with the border.  Hang gliding is becoming a popular recreational activity, although the activity may soon be outlawed in border tiles like Tile F over worry that it may lead to trespassing across the border.

It looks like the North may get a small reward for having to deal with the separation.  A survey of the land in preparation for substation construction revealed unusual readings in the ground below.  Sure enough, oil has been found in Tile L, near the coast.  Oil company offices have been built, and a boom town is beginning to develop.  Plans are in place for additional drilling in surrounding parts of Tile L.

CabraBuitre

Looks pretty good Metarvo.  I really like this challenge because this isn't what I had in my head for what you'd do... but you absolutely have met all the requirements.  Good job!

Check out Abelfarei!

mike3775

That was well done.  I imagined something way different with what was given, but you did a great job

mrbisonm

Glad you were able to finish this challenge without too many difficulties again, now did you?. We have taken notice of your pictures and your separatist demand. Thank you.

Now we will take the time again to judge it properly which may take a few days. We will have the time enough to do so since the next challenge will have  two weeks to be worked on.
You still have no right at all to touch the separatists side of the region, but you can build whatever your desire is in your half, of course with fully respecting the general Rules.
Thank you and Good luck. Lynn already started judging some days ago.

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

jmyers2043

My favorite shot is the industrial area.

The rail shot with the rounded and winding fence line is nice. I like the cattle in the open pasture.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

Judgements for challenge 4.

We have been away from judgements for the summer, first because of some illness of Lynn's mother and then missing some free time, after we took an almost two month vacation, but now we're back judging. Most of these judgements were done since quite a while, but only on paper.
This challenge was a bit harder to judge than others, because orders were given by an adversary, so we will judge it so, putting ourselves in the shoes of the adversary. I must say that we also were very generous with points at this time, something that we will change a little bit for the next coming challenges. Don't worry, we won't start giving bad points now..... ;) Please go and judge my challenge 4 now. Thank you.

1.  The demands given to antn were very good, so a good 5 points were added.

2.  All the demands were fulfilled with excellent details. We liked the fences and the cows in the wooded pastures, well observed. Also the use of trails and the industrial areas were quite nice to look at. % points for this was again added.

3.  The statue is good, but not quite well placed, A fair 4 points were given for this.

Some excellent update. We really like the details in your pictures. A total of 14 points were added to your pointage.

Fred and Lynn

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)