• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 4

Started by MandelSoft, May 02, 2009, 05:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Challenge 4

So here we have a region cut in half. But who is ruling which part?

Whitehills is the north half of the region. This part is under command of David (dedgren).
Lagevelden is the south half of the region. This part is under my command, Maarten (mrtnrln).

More is coming! And David: I'm awaiting for your command  &opr

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

dedgren

Mayor Maarten:  The Whitehills Separation Front (WSF) hereby presents its demands.

We, the peace-loving people of Whitehills, have hereby suffered under the boot of the southern oppressor for too long.  We are tired of being nothing more than a breadbasket!  We want industrial development, and we want it now!

Accordingly, you will commence building immediately "wall to wall" industrial development in Quad K.  We expect that every square inch/centimeter of reasonable flat developable land will be covered with busy, productive industry, which will ultimately also cover Quad L to the south in our lands north of the river.

But wait, there's more.  This will be well planned industry, so as to avoid pollution and other development impacts.  As there is currently no sea route for industrial export, you must allow and design for appropriate land infrastructure to bring raw materials in from the rest of Whitehall to the west and providing for the shipment of goods out, in addition to allowing for the free and efficient movement of the workforce back and forth, as there will be no housing located on either Quads K or, ultimately, L.  Quad K must generate all the power needs it requires and have leftover capacity adequate to serve the rest of Whitehall.  You shall accordingly begin pre-planning for transportation and utility corridors across Quads A, B and C, and across the Whitehall portion of Quads D, E and F, as the WSF may be directing you to construct such at any moment.  Planning and building expandable internal circulation within Quad K is also important as, once you build, you will have to carefully fit in any infrastructure that later becomes available, such as freeways and port facilities (hint, hint).

Your budget for developing Quad K, southern running dog, is not limited.  This can change at any time, and at the WSF's whim (and likely will).

Now, GET TO WORK!

WSF/Commandante David, the Plenipotent Gran Jefe of same
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

MandelSoft

Aye aye sir, I'm working on it right away  ;)

MandelSoft

Challenge 4 - Main Post
Today I'll show what I did with David's commands, and I'll show some other stuff for the challenge

My commands
Here are my commands to Mattb325:
Quote from: mrtnrln on May 02, 2009, 05:46:12 AM
It looks like your northern half of the region is under my command. I'm planning to do something in Tile A.

Here's the plan:

1. First, you're asked build a powerplant. As you probably know, people need electricity. It doesn't matter what kind of power plant you choose, but just as in Challenge 2, keeping an eye on the envoirement is appreciated. We also need water, so you're asked to build a water source. Again, the choice is yours which kind of building you use.

2. Then you're asked to build a commercial center, nearby Route 10. In the middle of the CBD there will be a park of at least 10x10, with some sort of memorial of Independency of the North. You may choose what kind of network layout you are going to place here (gridded or non-gridded).

3. Furthermore, around the CBD, there's a neighbourhood. This neighbourhood has low- and med-rise buildings. The city must have at least 30,000 inhabitants, and beside that, you have to buildat least one primary school, one middle school, one library, and a large hospital. And I'm not finished yet. You also have to build a police station and a fire department, so that all sims can live with the thought of safety and a certain future. The street layout must be non-gridded, because that's something that the Seperatists like.

After that, you're asked build a train station nearby the current railline. The station must be an ending point station (where trains can get in from one side). The Seperatists have to store the trains somewhere, so you are asked to build a railyard nearby the current railline.

5. And finally, you're asked build some sort of public transport. That's also a part of my plan. Build a tramline that connects at least the neighbourhood, the CBD and the train station together.

So these are my orders. I've left room for choices of your own. I'm whishing you success with realising them  :thumbsup:

Best,
Maarten

Fulfilling David's commands - An Industrial Revolution for the WSF
This was the hard part of the challenge. I had to do excactly as David commanded. Unfortunately, I experienced some problems. So what did I do?

Quote from: dedgrenAccordingly, you will commence building immediately "wall to wall" industrial development in Quad K. We expect that every square inch/centimeter of reasonable flat developable land will be covered with busy, productive industry, which will ultimately also cover Quad L to the south in our lands north of the river
I didn't find W2W industrial BATs on the LEX, or I didn't look at the right place. As alternative, I've zoned every piece of land with High-Density Industry, every tile of flat land, except for that strip in the middle, but I'll come to that later. This patch of land provides more than 25,000 industrial jobs

Quote from: dedgrenBut wait, there's more.  This will be well planned industry, so as to avoid pollution and other development impacts.  As there is currently no sea route for industrial export, you must allow and design for appropriate land infrastructure to bring raw materials in from the rest of Whitehall to the west and providing for the shipment of goods out, in addition to allowing for the free and efficient movement of the workforce back and forth, as there will be no housing located on either Quads K or, ultimately, L.  Quad K must generate all the power needs it requires and have leftover capacity adequate to serve the rest of Whitehall. You shall accordingly begin pre-planning for transportation and utility corridors across Quads A, B and C, and across the Whitehall portion of Quads D, E and F, as the WSF may be directing you to construct such at any moment.  Planning and building expandable internal circulation within Quad K is also important as, once you build, you will have to carefully fit in any infrastructure that later becomes available, such as freeways and port facilities (hint, hint).

Enough power: check! There's one oil power plant, one gas power plant and a trash burning power plant, plus some high-tension lines to transfer the left-over electricity to the rest of the country.

Pre-planning transport: check! There's a passenger rail station, a freight station and a train storrage area. The grassy area is for a possible future freeway (I think the last thing doesn't break the rules, because I didn't build actualy one, or something that can be easily transformed into a freeway). I've also placed bus stations spreaded all over the place to deliver the workers to their workplace.

Reduce pollution impact: check! Quad is burning all its trash to generate power.

There's one thing you forgot to mention: water. Dense industry need water to grow. Therefore I placed some waterpumps on a nearby island. Why ther? Well, when I try to build one near the industry, the water is has so much pollution that it can't be used.

Quote from: dedgrenYour budget for developing Quad K, southern running dog, is not limited.  This can change at any time, and at the WSF's whim (and likely will).
I spent less than §300,000 while developing this quad and it's paying back (that means the quad makes profit).

I hope that this 'southern running dog' (me) satisfied you, WSF Commandante Dave  ;)

Other developments
I've started development on two quad on the south side of the river. The first quad is quad D. Here is the city of Loyerburg located. It's a small town with less than 5,000 inhabitants.

The second quad, quad G, hosts the town of Buytenwegh. It's slightly bigger than Loyerburg, but still smaller than Noordhove. The town 10,000 inhabitants, and a very characteristic non-gridded street layout.

The monument

Here's the monument for the seperation of Whitehills. It's placed in the main town, Noordhove (quad H).

When the mayor officially uncoverd the monument he said this:

"Today we are gathered to remember the day that the north part of our region, Whitehills, declared independence to the rest of the country. That day we lost not only a part of our country, but also a part of our believe of unity. But this event was not only caused by the people of Whitehills.

We are also to blame for the seperation. We should not have turned a blind eye to Whitehills. We should have listened to them. We should have seen a seperation coming and tried to do anything to prevent that ever to happen. But we did not.

I would like to say: 'this will not happen ever agian'. But if we want to acomplish that, we all must do our best to achieve this. If we want to make this region ever one agian, we will try to make compromises with Whitehills in attempt to let that region rejoin the rest of the country. And we shouldn't look what we did wrong in the past, but what we can do better in the future."

- Mayor Maarten Oud , May 8th, 2009 -

I wonder what challenge 5 will do to this region.

Best,
Maarten

dedgren

Maarten-  My spies tell me that the Southern Running Dogs are doing just great in meeting our demands.  You know what that means, my friend- no good job ever goes unpunished.  The demands- they will only (nudge wink nudge) get more, er... demanding.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

mattb325

That is some serious industry - I can smell it from here  ;D

mrbisonm

Glad you were able to finish this challenge without too many difficulties again, now did you?. We have taken notice of your pictures and your separatist demand. Thank you.

Now we will take the time again to judge it properly which may take a few days. We will have the time enough to do so since the next challenge will have  two weeks to be worked on.
You still have no right at all to touch the separatists side of the region, but you can build whatever your desire is in your half, of course with fully respecting the general Rules.
Thank you and Good luck. Lynn already started judging some days ago.

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

jmyers2043

Hello Mrtnlrn

That is a good idea to use the brick street near your park. I'll have to use that idea in one of my cities. Thanks!
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

Judgements for challenge 4.

We have been away from judgements for the summer, first because of some illness of Lynn's mother and then missing some free time, after we took an almost two month vacation, but now we're back judging. Most of these judgements were done since quite a while, but only on paper.
This challenge was a bit harder to judge than others, because orders were given by an adversary, so we will judge it so, putting ourselves in the shoes of the adversary. I must say that we also were very generous with points at this time, something that we will change a little bit for the next coming challenges. Don't worry, we won't start giving bad points now..... ;) Please go and judge my challenge 4 now. Thank you.

1.  The demands given are very good and it gave you 5 points.

2.  the realization of dedgren's demand have been met and we saw that you follow orders to its best. The industries look great and as mattb325  mentioned, you can almost smell it from up here. Great job. We also like the arragements of the residentials and commercials. 5 points were added.

3.  The location of the monument is perfect and the monument itself is well chosen. Another 5 points were added.

15 points were added to your total.

Fred and Lynn

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)