• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

JJ joins in on Bordertown.

Started by JJ, May 02, 2009, 07:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ

Challenge 1.

With the first road road I felt the need to service both sides of the river, I kept my road close to the river for the majority of the run as I didn't feel it was neccessary to seperate the habitat of the animals on the land from each other, creating a dangerous crossing (yet somehow I felt killing their water supply was okay lol, oh well. The rail runs along the south as the government decided this where the majority of industry will be taking place due to the additional river on this side, I tried to cross the rivers at the narrowest points and avoid any unneccessary expenditure.

Here's tile E with the road on the north side of the river and the rail on the south.

Challenge 2
Power - Tile C, Biomass + Wind Energy
Before the land could be settled I had to harbour the natural resources so that living could become a possibility, we noticed a large forest in the north which would be an excellent source for biomass energy, we began cutting down trees and gathering dead material from around the area.

We also installed a few wind turbines in the mountains where the winds are stronger for longer but not too high that it would damage the machines.
. With a plant such as biomass we needed a close by home for our residents so a small market town with a general store was built, no children are allowed here and that would explain why a naughty trade decided to set up in the small town.

Water - Tile I
We noticed that the land offered many opportunities for water gathering with the freshwater lakes in tile G, and the mountain springs of tile B. One problem though was the additional cost it would cost our workers to travel out so far to those destinations to build such a water facility so we took up the close by mini lake in tile I, yes the water would be saltier here but the cost of desalination was cheaper than the labour, maybe not in the long run but we were more concerned about the here and now plus closer meant we could get started sooner and pumping water back to the plant workers homes wouldn't take so long. We built a few pipes and pumps and some extra towers to store the water.

Close by to the facility a small settlement just for the workers of the facility was setup with lovely big gardens and free water access.

Road, We needed a new road that would help connect the powerplant and waterfacility for quick travel between them, starting from tile E the future home of Bordertown the road followed the rail until we reached the A10 crossing of the river, creating an intersection at the bridge to connect the new road to the existing one we then continued down towards the water facility where the road met a side street. We also noticed that the north east had relatively little road so a decision was made for the A11 to cross the river just before it widens at the mouth. To reach the neighbouring region of simnation we had to travel along the base of the mountains, however to keep costs down aswell as to reduce accidents by reducing speed, the road was turned in to a smaller gravel road to go along the coast and meander the base of the mountain, we finally connected to simnation on the far north east.

I'll post challenge 3 a little later.

mrbisonm

Welcome to GRV II.
Nice going. We will have a look at it more closely next week and give you the points earned. It surely would be a good idea to have the challenge 3 ready by then.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

JJ

woops just noticed I have the grid showing on all of my pics lol.

JJ

Alright, here's my challenge 3, sorry took so long :p.

I decided to build the A12 to connect the lakes with the larger town and to travel up past the stream to connect to simnation.

The large town of the south was fed up with their low wealth and started to hate the richer north who kept charging them excessive prices for their energy. Crowding in the small town was getting terrible, things got to the stage where they decided to revolt, hence the seperatists were born. (I am gonna control the north).

Here we can see the farm fields providing all those in the north and south with food for their families.

Here is the town where crowding has annoyed those people.

Here is the richer town in the north.

The larger farming town is located in tile E so it can make use of the fresh waters to help their crops grow.
The smaller market town is located in tile C, it is an expansion of the old market town that once only housed the power plant workers.

The rail bridges access to the south was completely destroyed leaving nothing but rubble.

The bridge to the A11 had the water access to the north ripped up and the pipes turned back on themselves blocking the roads path.

The roundabout at the A10's junction with the A11 was barricaded and a bypass around this to aid the seperatists while still causing trouble for us was built.

mrbisonm

Ok, here are your adversaries: You will receive orders from cameron1991 and you will give orders to mightygoose.

Good luck
Fred

cameron1991

As your new separatist leader, I demand that you do a number of things for me in tile E.

Firstly I demand that you build a new power plant directly east across the small stream that feeds the main Border Town River. It can be any power plant other than a coal one as we don't want lots of smog drifting through our town. Do not make it too big as we don't have enough people here to run a large scale operation!

Secondly I demand that you build a new small elementary school between the rail line and the feeder river directly east of the town. Do not build it too close to the rail lines as we don't want our children to stray out on to the lines and get hit by trains. We are tired of being poor and a school will help our children get better jobs in the future.

And lastly I want you to build a new R$ subdivision around the school. Make sure the houses are are not blocks of flats as we are sick of living in those. We want something similar to the houses to the far west of the town. The subdivision must also include at least 10 tiles of parks in and around the area as we are sick of being cramped in flats and want to be able to have some exercise and fresh air!

And that is all for now  $%#Ninj2 Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any queries.

JJ

Greetings fine neighbour. I would like to let you know that the only way your villagers could reach the other side of the rail is so far to travel all the way up the dirt road to the A12. We would like to know if you still wish for everyone to take this long route or if you would like a level crossing or overpass built over the rail for easier access to the main town and so that the childrens parents do not have to drive so far.

Also would you like us to continue the expansion of the canal in to the new district or would you prefer otherwise. If we do so then we could build a lovely canal side park.

Also as a growing town you will have more mouths to feed would you like it if I expanded the farming to the edges of the area. On both sides of the river that would divide your town as it grows?

JJ

Dear Seperatist. I am always available to change. Here is what I created when it comes around to the housing subdivision you requested.

I understand that you asked for the housing to surround the elementary school, therefore I feel I may have failed you there however the placement of the elementary school has meant that those within the other sector of the city also have direct access to the school. I built a level crossing as that was the easiest method of crossing. I feel I may have gone overboard with the canal park so feel free to ask me to reduce it to allow for more housing.

If you wish I can move the school to the place where the pedestrian bridge crosses the canal. Just let me know what needs to be changed fair seperatist, I am at your command. (I built a firestation on the canal edge as one of your farms had caught alight)

----------------

mrbisonm

Reminder: The whole challenge 4 including pictures and completed orders should be posted in ONE (1) post only please. We will not have the time to look at all the different posts and see if you have or have not completed the task. Thank you.

Lynn and Fred

JJ

mrbisonm I will put all negotiations and everything in one post and all that at the end to makes things easier for you if that's okay?

For me now it'll be easier in seperate posts but i'll gather everything together once I've got everything I need for the challenge ready :)

---

Just would thought I'd show what I've been up to. Got some catching up to do but here's what I have so far. On this map you can see that there are two major towns. One issue all the people in the north are facing is food, yes they are rich so we are able to import food from simnation but sims are now becoming environmentally aware and the long freight trips and the fumes are causing issues with the population. The mayor of the north decided that it was best to build expansive farms to supply food locally also while providing some jobs for the poor. A small little hamlet was set up by these farms as well to provide some workers with homes. Many other workers have to commute from New Market so a small estate is planned to be built at at Fieldsmark once all the farms have been built. The mayor has decided to keep the fields south of New Market open and free so that the rabbits and field mice that thrive there will have somewhere to live. The small island to the east of the A11 has became a haven for thrushes and the mayor has declared that land untouchable. The small island just of Fieldsmark has been purchased by a hotel chain, they plan to exploit the island to make money, something that many in the town are furious about but nothing can be done about it. The hotel owner left the south just before the seperatists splits and plans to also build a small statue remembering his old people on the island.

Below is a map of the current landscape and the two developments currently taking place in both the north and the south.

New Market has grown since you last saw it, not much of the old town remains . A few of the homes that used to be on the south side of the town and some from on the west still survive to this day, the fire station also remains but all else has dissapeared in to the abyss. The old elementary school had to be demolished as its max population was reached. A new elementary school was built to accomodate the growing population. It is planned for most of the old east town to be demolished to make way for a park and some of the houses near the elementary school so the children can play. With a growing city more people require space to morn and the old chapel will still remain but a church is planned to be built just north of the city with a large graveyard. The old police house and clinic were demolished. One issue the mayor had to face was the growing issue of pollution and over crowding which meant there were a lot of riots so a large prison was built. A large hospital was also built to aid with the many casualties from these rows. Yes while it's nice to live in the north it just isn't as safe as the south. I'm sure those seperatists are glad they split and the mayor is beginning to see why having to deal with all these issues. Having wealthier people means they are more demanding. Below you can see the prison, the new elementary and how the old markets were even replaced. (The road network is terrible with many jams this mayor really didn't think things through as he expanded the town. Many things need to be altered. You can see the age of the town with the different estates built over the years.

Many houses were built over two periods. Below you will see the first of these, this was the first of the mid wealth housing sectors of the city that grew over time starting off with just 8 houses expanding on to another street.

This development is my favourite, the town went through a period where only white wood walls would do. I really love the look of this street and it's my favourite, the mayor has declared it a national landmark. Many filmmakers have used this street as it represents and ideal lifestyle. As a result this street is where everyone wants to live, the houses despite their smaller size fetch for £2,000,000 at least. As these houses are currently upon a busy road which sees 200 buses and 400 buses each day and the crime rate being high in this area due to the poor wishing to have the houses it is planned for the street to become a gated community. Also it will assist with the mayor attempting to get those to use the newly built avenue even though that has reached max capacity and traffic along there is horrific. We need a new road system and the mayor plans to upturn the existing one in order to build a better one in the future.

The most recent development has seen a crazy rise in the need of cheap affordable housing so a large estate of homes were built especially for those first time buyers, not so much a nice area to live in but the city needed the houses to reduce the old rate of homelessness that had begun to rise 10 years ago but has fallen dramatically since the estate was built.

That concludes my current developments on the region :P You can see I got a lot to do and you really should see the roads lol, i built them just when i needed and no preplanning was done so the traffic can be terrible :p

cameron1991

Excellent! You have done just what I asked for!

JJ

Challenge 4.

Welcome to my update for Challenge 4.

First I'll post what orders I posted for mightygoose (I'll update this section as I post more orders)

Next I will show 3 pictures of the realisation of camerons orders. (His orders were as follows).

As your new separatist leader, I demand that you do a number of things for me in tile E.

Firstly I demand that you build a new power plant directly east across the small stream that feeds the main Border Town River. It can be any power plant other than a coal one as we don't want lots of smog drifting through our town. Do not make it too big as we don't have enough people here to run a large scale operation!

Secondly I demand that you build a new small elementary school between the rail line and the feeder river directly east of the town. Do not build it too close to the rail lines as we don't want our children to stray out on to the lines and get hit by trains. We are tired of being poor and a school will help our children get better jobs in the future.

And lastly I want you to build a new R$ subdivision around the school. Make sure the houses are are not blocks of flats as we are sick of living in those. We want something similar to the houses to the far west of the town. The subdivision must also include at least 10 tiles of parks in and around the area as we are sick of being cramped in flats and want to be able to have some exercise and fresh air!

And that is all for now  Ninja Night Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any queries.

We'll start with a shot of the very basic geothermal plant, nothing too extravagant but with a poor nation I didn't feel the need, mega amounts of parking though as the people of the area are so stupid and there are 10 people helping each other do one job.

Next up are two more shots showing the rest of the realisation.

And finally an overview of this section.

Now are the two shots of the development of the region that was requested. I'll just show the region overview and one random picture. As you can see I've been expanding on New Market, which has now gone from a population of 10,000 to a population of 30,100.

This one picture details the main commercial sector of the city, it has been growing and the current commercial population of New Market stands at 24464.

Finally the monument that marks the departure of the southern poor was constructed by an ex-southerner who also built a hotel on the lush small island on tile B.

As great as those from the south were we in the north are not all interested in them as they are weak and poorly educated therefore we have set up strict immigration rules but are willing to negotiate.

soulchaser

this hotel was not easy to build  :P

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

JJ

I can't wait for erosion lol.

lynncanox

Judgements
Challenge 1

As you knew the results and judging of the first two challenges we will judge you a little harder.

The route was excellently placed and chosen and we gave you 4 points for the route challenge. The same for the rails and the bridges are very good also. Another 4 points for the rail challenge.

A total of 8 points were credited to your total score.

Lynn and Fred

------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge 2

A.   Although the new route had chosen the right direction and connected to the northern neighboring region, it was built in the beginning on the wrong side of the river in our opinions. We gave you 4 points for the route challenge.
B.  Having chosen windpower was a good idea and they were nicely placed. Very good detailed pictures, except that you left the grid on. We gave you 4 points for the powerchallenge, not accounting for the grids.
C.  The water challenge received also 4 points from us, but on the weak side, because we find it a little too big for the demand of a small town as demanded for in the challenge 3. Details are great though.

A total of 12 points were added to your total score.

Next time turn the grid off before taking the pictures. Good work sofar.

Lynn and Fred

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge 3

A.   Almost excellent choice for the new route, there was a slightly better way, but we gave you a weak 5 points for the route challenge the same.
B.   We don't know what the brown boxes are that cut off the road (wooden boxes or haybales?), and the pipes were a good and original idea, but the bolders are too big to have been moved there overnight. The rails are simple and effectively cut off. We gave you a weak 4 points for the cutoff challenge.
C.  Your little village is looking good, although a little monotonous and repetetive. Excellent work on the farms and the drainditches. We gave you a solid 4 points for the regional works challenge.

A total of 13 points were added to your total score.

Great works done here and good luck with the separatists.

Lynn and Fred

All your points and your name will be added to the Pointagesheet the next time that it will be updated.

PS.  Btw, what is that little townhall on the left of the market picture and where did this come from, please?

Fred
judge of GRV 2 Challenge

JJ

mrbisonm

Quote from: JJ on May 10, 2009, 10:40:35 PM
I think you mean the MTP Schoolhouse?

http://simpeg.com/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item163

Thanks very much, that was the one I was looking for. It looks like a small townhall.

Fred

mrbisonm

Reminder:
Just make sure that you have ready for the deadline within the next 24 hrs, don't forget.

Fred

JJ

My challenge is already posted. If you just look up, it says Challenge 4 at the beginning of the post.

mrbisonm

sorry, I missed it earlier........

Glad you were able to finish this challenge without too many difficulties again, now did you?. We have taken notice of your pictures and your separatist demand. Thank you.

Now we will take the time again to judge it properly which may take a few days. We will have the time enough to do so since the next challenge will have  two weeks to be worked on.
You still have no right at all to touch the separatists side of the region, but you can build whatever your desire is in your half, of course with fully respecting the general Rules.
Thank you and Good luck. Lynn already started judging some days ago.

Lynn and Fred