• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 4 - Separatist orders!

Started by newsimaddict, May 03, 2009, 04:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newsimaddict

I am awaiting orders sir (damn the weekend and lack of internet at home for my lateness - oh dear this isn't a good start  :))

newsimaddict

Orders to Cameron 1991 as scribed...

QuoteCameron 1991
You have been watched from the shadows and now it is time to act! Your rich citizens from the South have had it easy for far too long and now the 'poor of the North' will rise to the challenge.

As the Separatist leader, I order you to do the following:

Build a new township in Tile F - population larger than 2,000. (The south has more population and development so let's even up the score)
I see your decision for a poor North to be appropriate - please ensure that all buildings and streets reflect this (within reason of course!)

Connect power to the new township from the neighbouring poor town (tile E) - sharing is caring!

In the same tile, connect the rail to the North side from your current rail depot in the South to a new depot/Industrial Estate on the Northside. In between the bridge and the depot, please create a passenger spur to head to the east (future development).

Whilst I understand your reasoning for the lack of rail in the North (reason mentioned in 1st challenge I believe), I feel that this is an unfair advantage for the South to only have access to. The new depot will be the beating heart of the new town, please ensure there is appropriate street/road access to Route 20. (As per last challenge, please put the break in the rail track so we don't break any rules - thanks!)

Good luck. If you would like to raise any points, council is open to suggestion.

The_Hutt

newsimaddict, could you show me an ingame view of tile (H) at zoom 1 and a second view of tile (L) at zoom 1? This will assist me. Thanks.

You have a great region, by the way. I was absolutely blown away by much of the content here.

- Nick

newsimaddict

No dramas, I'll post you the pictures once I've been home and then back at work tomorrow (lack of internet at home). If you need any more detail, let me know within the next couple hrs!

Many thanks for the nice words too. Everyone has really stepped up on this - can't wait for the challenges to start rolling out!

newsimaddict

As per requested...

Tile H
With the one road on the left hand side of the river, the land might be a bit tough in regards to crossings etc (I used tons of FAR). If you choose this tile, you may have to be flexible with road location.

Tile L
With a small community already in existance on the North, Separatists may like the challenge of throwing toads at the neighbours?

Please advise your intentions as the locals are getting restless.  ;)

The_Hutt

Thank you very much!

Your orders will be derived from the following image:

1. Please construct standard two-lane roads where there are red lines. You may use FAR pieces where appropriate. For the bridge crossings, please use simple structures and not suspension spans and the like.

2. The pink magenta dots indicate a region where the separatists have demanded a state park to be built - you may name it whatever you wish. You may not develop standard RCI buildings here, and the red road is to be the only entrance to the park. If you want to, you may extend this entry road to anywhere within the park, but it should not cross the boundary again and leave the park! Your challenge is to create a scenic experience for the population. This may include a visitor center, trails, campground, and other natural things you would find in your typical state park. Focus on preserving the natural beauty by removing as few trees as possibles. We especially encourage integrating the large rock on the river bend as a core aspect.

3. Construct a village centre just to the south of the state park. The blue should be small commercial developments, such as restaurants, banks, storefronts, and small hotels. Use your imagination. Please note that a height restriction is imposed - your commercial buildings should be no taller than the surrounding trees. Green should include essential city services (police, fire, school, health clinic) and single-family dwellings, with perhaps a few small apartment complexes sprinkled in between (again, no buildings taller than the treeline, please). If you must demolish trees to make way for development, please plant new ones throughout the village. No roads beyond the red ones already drawn above are permitted. Use of SAM textures is encouraged.

This is not required, but I recommend recreating the small, touristy-town feel of California's famous Redwood Coast (the Pacific Coast stretching from north of Marin County to the Oregon border), for instance towns like Fort Bragg, Eureka, Arcata, Mendocino, and Crescent City can serve as models for your development.

4. You are construct a new subdivision of single-family homes in the green areas indicated. Please fit the homes between the trees; that is, you should preserve the natural groves and avoid cutting them down.

5. Please note that this is optional. If you do not have time to do this portion don't sweat it.

Construct farm areas in the yellow areas with the appropriate road/street connections and irrigation systems, again avoiding cutting down trees as much as possible. I dislike rectangular fields, so be creative. Additionally, I would like to see a single tile-row of trees between each of the fields.

If you have questions, ask and I'll clarify. Good luck!

- Nick

newsimaddict

Onto to it now!

(Grabs a glass of wine to contemplate...)

mrbisonm

Glad you were able to finish this challenge without too many difficulties again, now did you?. We have taken notice of your pictures and your separatist demand. Thank you.

Now we will take the time again to judge it properly which may take a few days. We will have the time enough to do so since the next challenge will have  two weeks to be worked on.
You still have no right at all to touch the separatists side of the region, but you can build whatever your desire is in your half, of course with fully respecting the general Rules.
Thank you and Good luck. Lynn already started judging some days ago.

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

newsimaddict

Arrgghhh orders...The_Hutt - I hope the following pictures will fulfill your requests posted below. I know that I am missing several parts of the challenge - in particular Fred's orders (totally forgot about them until I started posting this) so I understand that negative points are to be expected.

Ipindellah's new commercial village centre has created a boom in residental growth. With new shops, civic services and a small monument in respect to the husbands fighting the Pink Wildflowers, women are seen often gathering here swapping gossip and generally acting like those women off 'Desperate Houswives.'

The main street crosses the river and leads to the newly created 'Hutt's State Park.' With free parking, cafe and camping facilities, locals are loving the fact that the toilets flush!

A new sub-division to the east of the village has encouraged renters to buy their dream house in a natural environment.

Streets here flow with the already existing landscape to create the feeling of tranquility and peace. Word is that more trees have been requested to be magically planted by the council.

Newcomers to the region also saw potential in the fertile land. Descendants of Mbear realised this quickly and built their McMansion Winery on the edge of town. With other wineries growing and expanding, Ipindellah has stamped itself on the map as a premier tourist destination for all residents of GRV.

Hmmm, time for a wine I believe... cheers!

(I believe I've posted this before the deadline - the world clock website told me! If not, at least I had fun...  :))

mrbisonm

Yes, it was posted before the deadline.
lol.....silly question: didn't we have 2 weeks to do this?.....lol. Just kidding, I just finished mine also, even later than you....but I didn't forget anything.....I think.

Good luck

Fred

newsimaddict

True...

No, I concentrated on the orders that The_Hutt gave me that I completely forgot about the orders you wrote in the challenge board until I began writing my story. I copied them... but never took them home. Tis life sometimes...and the fact that I've been stuffing around in LE the past few challenges and haven't learnt my lesson to stop fooling with stuff I don't understand. So annoying - I made certain things in LE, loaded up the game and suddenly it was missing half of its textures and props. Is there a limit to sizes or how many props etc is in a sc4lot file?

Next challenge - no more le-ing around. It takes too much time and as you said, we should be able to do these challenges in a couple hours...not weeks... ;)

mrbisonm

Judgements for challenge 4.

We have been away from judgements for the summer, first because of some illness of Lynn's mother and then missing some free time, after we took an almost two month vacation, but now we're back judging. Most of these judgements were done since quite a while, but only on paper.
This challenge was a bit harder to judge than others, because orders were given by an adversary, so we will judge it so, putting ourselves in the shoes of the adversary. I must say that we also were very generous with points at this time, something that we will change a little bit for the next coming challenges. Don't worry, we won't start giving bad points now..... ;)  Please go and judge my Challenge 4 now. Thank you.

1.  The demands you have given to your adversary are very well done and explained and 5 points were given.

2.  Realizations of your adversary's demand were done within expectations and well presented. 4 Points were given for this part of the challenge.

3.  Unfortunetly the statue has not been built or shown and 0 points were given.

Nice going, nice pictures and excellent farms and residents. For this challenge we have given you a total of 9 points and have added them to Your total of the challenges.

Fred and Lynn