• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge No. 5

Started by threestooges, May 18, 2009, 02:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

As I understand there has been a slight change within the heirarchy of the South's command structure... We're scheduled to have a meeting with them sometime soon. I'll be in my office, notify me when they get here, and offer them some tea or something.

TheTeaCat

Door opens

Ah there you are, oh and is that a fresh pot of tea you've got there?

It is, Excellent ;D
So much nice to sit down and discuss things instead of over that crackly old radio eh?

Now I just thought I'd pop in , say hello, that sort of stuff you know and to let you you know
that for the mo I have  got a little request or two that you should be able to help with.

Couple of shots in region view, one in satellite and one in transportation.
Yep that should do it for the mo.

"ringing sound"
Sorry it's my cell phone, would you excuse me?

Answers phone
Yes?
Ok, I'm on my way.

disconnects call

Sorry, must dash, thanks for the tea.

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

threestooges

"Funny," TS said "I wasn't sure about serving Earl Grey, but it seemed well received."

His assistant blanched a pale white at the mention of the name of the tea, knowing the Southern leader's taste for tea.

"Oh I'm just kidding," he continued, "you really think I'd open diplomatic relations like that? It might be a way to end them, but let's hope it doesn't come to that."

He placed several photos on the desk.

"Send these to TTC's headquaters. I'm surprised how development has stayed near the islands so far. I know we'll be changing that shortly."

Overview of Region in City View:

Overview of Region in Transit View:

Overview of development within Tile E (only non-transit development on the South side so far):

*attached is the following message*

Hopefully these'll meet your needs. As I understand from previous interactions with the South, there are significant traffic issues resulting from only two road bridges, and there seems to be unemployment issues that appear to be stemming from such commute times. We'll be awaiting future correspondence.

"Also," he said to his assistant as he left to deliver the information, "get some oolong or green tea in stock, that stuff's pretty good."

JBSimio

A package with the following enclosed letter was recieved this morning at the mayor's office...

Dear Sir,

News of recent events in your Bordertown Region have reached the leading executives here at Simio Foodservices.  It is with deep sorrow that we see and sympathise with your plight.  During the past months, our department of marketing and development had met frequently to discuss the possibilities of expanding our business into your area.  However, this course of action now seems ill advised given the current state of political turmoil which has recently arisen.  As a family based company, we want nothing more than to see the diplomatic reuniting of your region for the good of all those who live under your guidance.

To that end, please find and accept the following gifts on our behalf in the hopes that they will aid in your future negotiations with the Southern leadership team.  Enclosed you will find six cases of diffently flavored teas from the Tazo and Bigelow companies.  Earl Grey has not been included in this assortment, however there are flavors such as Green Zen, Mint Plantation, Orange and Spice, and Cranberry Apple among others.  Each case contains nearly 200 servings of tea, which we hope will be sufficient for any upcoming meetings you may have scheduled.

If there is anything we here at Simio Foodservices can do to assist in bringing your region back together, please do not hesitate to contact us.  You may already know that we are a subsidiary of the much larger Monkey Around Productions corporation.  While I cannot wholy speak for my parent companies, I will also gladly approach them on your behalf if you feel that they may be able to help you in reuniting your great lands.

Sincerely,

Jim Willford
President & CEO
Simio Foodservices, Inc.

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

TheTeaCat

We request that you begin planning for expansion in tile H.

Please construct as per the attached pic. ( NO high density in any zones)
Medium density for commercial may be used but only up to 7 tiles from the water including roads/streets

you have free rein as to how this is accomplished.

Please provide all facilities as needed.
Healthcare and Education are vital and every residence should be covered.

The public park area must be accessible from both sides of the river. How you accomplish this is up to you.

(No flashy residence for the mayor  $%Grinno$% something humble would be nice ;)
This does not apply to the townhall if you decide to build one.)

If you have any other concerns, feel free to contact my office.

We have noted your concerns regarding the transport problem in Tile E  and would request
a traffic volume and congestion pics at your convenience. We shall then get back to you with our proposals.

Nice tea by the way :thumbsup:

Regards
Derry
C.I.C.
Cat In Charge
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

threestooges

QuoteTo: Jim Willford
President & CEO
Simio Foodservices, Inc.

Thank you for the generous supply of tea-based gifts. We heartily accept these and believe they will lead to improved relations. I have directed our staff to have the full selection laid out for the coming negotiations. Should you find yourself in the need of a new place for a distributorship, we invite you to consider us for either corporate headquarters or general production facilities. We hope to see a peaceful end to this separation and, ideally, we'd like to get our land back.

Thank you for your generous contribution to our efforts here. Please stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Matt
The Stooges
GRV Governing Council

Once you've sent that letter in the mail, send this over to Derry's offices, this should cover the traffic maps and such that were requested. Hopefully something can be done there without getting caught up with that two tile rule that was mentioned. Each of those major roads is fielding over 1000 cars already and has resulted in unemployment issues for the east part of the residential area.

Also, see if that commercial district would include some sort of riverwalk or if it is just to go along the natural shore.

TheTeaCat

Thank you Matt.

The congested transport system is in need of an overhaul but we don't want to burden you with too much considering the
construction required in tile H.

Some sort of rapid public transport (El Train/Tram as a suggestion) is required and shall leave it to you as to which sort is used.
Upgrade any street or construct any new roads/bridges if required but only as a last resort. 

while the fences were built for protection,I really do not like having a "Death Zone" and require this area to be redeveloped also.

Now as I said I really don't want to burden you so this area, once the fencing has been removed, can be used to provide a high speed corridor which should alleviate the congestion. Plenty of green space and  lots of trees with some judicious zoning (no industry but the rest is up to you) should see this area develop nicely. Provide all services as required. Again this area you have free reign over.

Oh yes almost forgot please reconnect the rail line thank you.

re:your question for tile H
If you have the time then by all means build a nice riverside walk/park area as a feature of the commercial district, if not leave this in a natural state but bear in mind it will be developed later.

Regards
Derry

threestooges

Excellent then. So if I understand, development is to be in tiles E and H, the fences are gone and the aforementioned "Death Zone" will become reforested, with some zoning (not industrial). Thank you for you consideration of your residents in E. We will begin construction shortly.

threestooges

Much to take care of, so let's get right down to it.

First of all, a copy of the orders I sent to Fred (mrbisonm):

As the following region shots will show, much deveopment has occurred on both sides.

Satellite View:

Transportation View:

Starting on the Southern Side (you can see their orders above) the following graphs should cover the required points of the above criteria: Zones, Education Coverage and Health Coverage:

Most of the development has been residential and commercial to counter the industrial mass further north. However, the momentum of the industrial development did push down into the area a bit.

With all the new residents, there was a need for recreation activities. Though river walk areas and smaller parks (some of which are attached to the local schools) dot the area, a central park was based around the hill in the bow of the river. The design of the area is a bit unusual. The hill remained natural and has a restaurant on the top overlooking the river and surrounding area. Workers are allowed to drive up the narrow gravel road, but all others must walk. The other part of the park is more of a formal design with an ampetheatre, grand fountain (which many folks will play in during summer) all with a river view. It is accessible from both sides of the river via a road bridge.

Lastly to see here (for now) is the new Mayor's residence (council meetings are also held here once every other week). Nothing flashy, but certainly nothing boring. Very natural with a dock for creek access.

There was only one route across the river, and it was never disconnected. The guard posts are still maintained in their original state. The railroad was reconnected, and this can be seen in the overview of the area to the north (in Tile E). Also seen in this pic is the GLR extension to ease traffic, the development of the former "Death Zone" and also the re-forestation of the area. Unfortunately the stumps from the previously felled trees still stand out among the new trees.

In the north:

The military has contributed to much development in tile F. The Navy followed the sabre rattling technique of using very big things in plain sight (and a surveillance station up in the hills to take advantage of the better reception). Thanks to the Governor, the Valley has become home to a new aircraft carrier and destroyer.

The airforce followed the tactic of the enemy you don't know is scarier than the one you do. As far as we know the south has no air capabilities, therefore, the airfield was surrounded by trees and such to hide all activity. private planes and regular prop planes are used for scouting as they are cheaper than jets to operate. A C5 Galaxy has been an ample means of deliverying needed supplies. After hostilities cease, this field would make a fine civilian airport.

The army base features training grounds designed to match the surrounding lands for better realism closer to home. Ammo bunkers and general support buildings dot the area.

Not everything has been doom and gloom with the potentially impending battle. Let's head up to tile A for a bit of a scenic rail shot as a load of freight heads to points further north:

TheTeaCat

Very nicely done Matt.
The rebel leader is very satisfied :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Looks good, Matt! The air strip was the hardest part for me, but you seem to have sailed through that part of the challenge with no trouble at all. You've taken advantage of the scenic spots, and I see the mayor did pretty well for himself. Really good work on the house and yard - love the pond.

Good luck at the beach, BTW!
;D
Joan

mrbisonm

Judging Challenge 5

I finally got around to continue the GRV II Challenges and we will continue with the judgement of Challenge 5, 6 and 7 in the next weeks. Make also sure to read the *speach* that I wrote in the General discussion thread, maybe giving an explanation to all this dealy.
How this challenge was judged can be found in the Challenge 5 thread. Please read it so you can judge my Challenge 5 also. Also read about this in the General Discussion Thread. Thank You.

This challenge wasn't any easier than the one before to judge, because we had to look at many different points and from different views.

1. we didn't see much of your re-connections and border control, what we saw is quite simple. We gave you 2 points for this.
2. The orders that you gave your adversary were excellent and well thought over. We added 4 points.
3. All your rebel's demands were nicely executed. A good 4 points were given to you for this part of the Challenge.
4. As most of the players, you also used some exageration with the military concerning the size of the bases. We gave you a solid 3 points though, because they were well done and look good.
5. The sceninc part of the rails were considered by us as scenic alright and 4 points were added.

You have earned yourself a total of 17 points which is quite good.

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)