• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 5 - New Leadership - Official on May 30

Started by jmyers2043, May 18, 2009, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

Southern Rebels demand a new mayor. And got one. Yeee! Haaaa!

Quoteand the first thing you do is show a region picture in transportation mode in your new Challenge 5 thread.

<edit>

Challenge 5 - Official Entry

Part 1 - Orders to Pat - I gave Pat a personal challenge. A head to head competition within the competition. I gave him the same orders given to me by "newsimaddict". Here they are:

QuoteOfficial Orders for Pat

I see that the separatists control your southern region. I feel your pain as they also control mine. I also see that Rayden had you develop Tile H for challenge 4. TheThreeStooges ordered me to develop tile H. Subsequently, we have the same city tiles available.   

I've already received my orders from Miss-Mall <aka> newsimaddict. You may be thinking to yourself "So what?!"  Well, I am going to give the exact orders that I received to you .. because .. I want to see who can best fulfill her desires and dreams. Like two suitors' making an impression. You and me. In head to head competition. Mano-a-mano. I'm challenging you to the proverbial dual. The line is drawn in the sand. Will you cross it? The block is on my shoulder. Will you knock it off?

It would be super if Miss-newsimaddict would be a judge in the end (for the fun of it) to see whose city reigns supreme.

Here are the instructions.
1. Green = woods or areas left to nature
2. Yellow = farm fields
3. Blue is a large shopping mall. This will have to be a commercial plop lot with a lot of jobs to support a city.
4. Cyan = RCI (Residential, commercial, and industrial) the city must look big, busy, and brown. By brown I take it that the predominant style of homes are of the brownstone style e.g. 2 to 4 story medium density residentials similar but not necessarily limited to JBSimio and Marczar's tenement style buildings. You've got Carte Blanch to accomplish this. Schools, Parks, Landmarks, anything and everything needed to encourage this type of growth. The entire area does not have to be filled in. You may leave gaps or open spaces to suite your asthetic preferences. Hint: One strategy I am going to use is the 'make historical' button if one of those brownstones happens to grow.
5. The only stipulation is that the RCI buildings must grow. No industrial or commercial plops. The obvious exception is the Shopping Mall.
6. For some unknown reason a prison on the island off the coast. 
7. Orange = Tram stations. Suite yourself as to the path of the connecting track and number of stops along the route. 
8. White = Curvy scenic road at the edge of town.

By the way – I don't know if you are like me. But I don't have a readymade mall to plop. I'll have to lot one. I can make the commercial plop lot for you if you need one. Just let me know the size and the number of jobs required. I'll make you a blank commercial plop ready for lotting. Or, I may just go searching the LEX. I've not made up my mind yet.

That's about it. Use the map (below) as your guide and good Luck. Oh... be careful. I don't want you to hurt your back or strain you neck.

Part 2 - Check Points

Tile D - Dilardsby - Route 10 resurfaced. Southern and Northern check points.

Tile E - Bordertowne - Rail line reconnected and checkpoints manned. Southern on the left, Northern to the right. Freight rail from the north must stop for inspection - or - KaBoom.

Part 3 - Mall Wars!   This part does two things. They are (1) the pictures where I battle Pat to see who can build the greatest city and (2) proves that the "BSC PlowBoy" can actually build a city if need be.  

Aerial View - Tile I - Inghamshire. Fields and forests laid out as required by newsimaddict. Small towns depict bedroom communities to the larger city next door.   

Whimperthorpe Aerial view - Tile M - town and countryside laid out as demanded by Miss-Mall. All RCI areas developed as growable lots. The only plop is the Mall.

Four of the five requirements (a) Prison on the island (b) winding road at the edge of town (c) Tram system and (d) The land of One-Stop-Fun-Shopping. Where Sim men gaze through glass doors and whimper while their wives frolic about in their happiest setting.

The fifth requirement. Brown.

More brown.

Ok Pat! My cards are on the table.  ()stsfd()  What's in your hand???   $%#Ninj2   :D   

Part 4 - Military  

Tile - D - An airfield nesteled between fields of corn and the Grand River is the perfect spot for the north to show some muscle. Fighters take off and land in full view of southern shore.

Fuel Depot, Fighters standing-by, and a Communications Center.

Tile E - Bordertown - Army. YES! KA-CHING! I knew keeping the island open and free from development would come in handy. The governor enthusiastically approved Mayor Jim's plan to place an army base on the northern held island. There are a dozen tank emplacements along the shore. Some are so close that the soldiers throw stones at the Rebs and verbally taunt them. Menacing, threating, intimidating are the words that come to my mind.

This is the Field Site originally created Deadwoods, relotted by me.

Navy - Tile F - This swift boat facility is located in the northern side of Loucaster county. We have firm control of the length of the Grand River.

Part 5 - Scenic Rail

Tile A - zoom 3 -Kilburn

A rail line cuts through timber forest. A cottage sits on the shore of a 9 acre lake. Crickets chirp. Pitter patter of soft rain on the leaves. The sound of a train whistle in the distance. Lazy dog at my side. Ah, the life of the retired Mayor. Nothing to do but whittle on this piece of wood and watch time pass by slowly. By the way, the cottage is by Dolphin66 - lotted as a timber farm by me.

Part 6 - Region Views

Satellite Shot

Transportation view

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

newsimaddict

---

Mr JMyers2043,

As representatives from the office of the Rebels you delightfully call the ones who:

Quotecan't figure it out
;)

We - being the smart ones who passed grade 6 - wish to inform you of the following decisions for the new Southern style of life...in particular tiles I and M.

Key -
Orange - tram
Green - forest/national park/tree farms if you want
White - new scenic road to run along the edge of the new town
Blue - new shopping mall to be built on the corner

In continuation with threestooges' vision, a tram line will be introduced into tile I with the depot based in M. How it gets from the road crossing to the depot is up to you. (Also, the tram can continue onwards to the border or can stop after the road crossing - all at your discretion)

Farms can be built as per your last orders - small and varied makes for a fun-looking region!

The shopping mall is going to be the place where rebels can buy all the gadgets that the northerners can't..or don't need. Please ensure that there is a rail station, tram station and plenty of parking nearby. (As you can see in the picture, the depot will be built behind the mall)

The town is to be built within the coloured spaces, leave gaps where you want...or don't. We rebels wouldn't know any better.  ;)
Population needs to be able to support your shopping mall so make it look busy, big and for some reason...brown. Brown as in the brown buildings used by jbsimio are recommended as they look quite commission house-like!

Links useful:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=632
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1783

If you have time or can be remotely chuffed to do so, some tall residental buildings along the foreshore could be benefitial.

One last request - we've just aquired a useful contract from the government worth good money. Please build a prison on the island marked on the map. It doesn't need to be special - i believe alcatraz in the landmarks would suit this well.

If for any reason this doesn't make sense or you need more information, let your people know to get in contact with my people and maybe we could do coffee some time...or wine... ()meeting()...i heard there's a new cafe in town.

jmyers2043

Quotenew shopping mall to be built

Hello to the Mr. Mall-Man   :D  ::)  ... 

I guess yellow is the farm zone? And that the rest of the non designated areas are to be RCI and that these non designated areas are what you are referring to as 'coloured' ??

Thanks for the link to JBSImio's residentials. I have them all and they are brilliant. I doubt, however, that I'll be able to guarantee they'll grow.    <edit>  I've put some thought to it and i think that I'll be able to exceed your expectations.

Please also remember that all zoned areas shall not exceed 50% of total city tiles. This is the governors requirement. Given that, I'll try to make all RCI zones look as busy as possible.   and I think I've got this dilemma figured out too.

Can you give me a link to 'tram' stuff. I don't normally ... make that never use any tram material in my game. More important I'd like a link if you have a favorite tram car or tram track.  Thanks.  <edit> although I am still worried about the tram requirement. Do these work like trains? Can I connect a tram station to a rail track and have it function???

newsimaddict

Mr JMyers - that's miss to you!  ;)

Yes the yellow areas are farms - built how you've built in the past.
The remainder is combo of rci however you want it - i didn't want to go overboard and go into massive detail with that stuff!

QuoteAnd that the rest of the non designated areas are to be RCI and that these non designated areas are what you are referring to as 'coloured' ??

By this I meant the area in between all the coloured bits, so yes you are correct in building in the non-designated/non-coloured bits within the 50% tile margin. By giving you so much space to potentally build in, I'd be allowing the margin to completed at your discretion.

The residental buildings - if you can get them to grow, lovely!

The tram stuff - the glr is a part of the nam. In the miscellaneous folder, there's a draggable tram line piece and a puzzle piece underneath it - much like the puzzle pieces for rural street / overpasses etc, just press tab and the world is your tram line! for reference, go to the nam team section...here's a link

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4623.0

its a tutorial by chrisim - who's been doing amazing work with t-ram stuff (tram in road) and shows basic tips and how to use it etc. sfbt and rtmt has both released a whole bunch of tram stops which will be useful for you. or just do a search for tram station and you'll find some really funky ones.

here's a link for sfbt dentai stations if you don't have any already....
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2023

(i had a quick look on stex and found some more)

a tram track is mod based off a elevated rail line so it is its own transport network and isn't connected to rail at all. hopefully the tutorial explains it better than i have.

I hope this has been of help to you...if it becomes a hassle, let my people know and maybe we can cancel that order... :)

jmyers2043

Hello Fred and Lynn.

I've completed challenge 5. The first post of this thread has been edited.

Pat

gaaaaaaasp OK I need some breathing room wow!!! Jim that is wonderful!!!!  I love your planes man they are sweeetness!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

CabraBuitre

Check out Abelfarei!

TheTeaCat

Superb, simply superb. &apls &apls

There has certainly been some care and attention and a heck of a lot more put in to this update.
Your choice of aircraft is brilliant, tank emplacements (why didn't I think of that ::)) and a great naval base too.
This is going to be hard to beat :D :D

A fantastic update. Well done  :thumbsup:
regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

JBSimio

Quote from: jmyers2043 on May 18, 2009, 05:49:45 PM
Some are so close that the soldiers throw stones at the Rebs and verbally taunt them.

Verbal taunting?  That sounds pretty bad...

You don't frighten us, Southern Pig-dogs!  Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person.  I blow my nose at you, so called "other leader"... you and all your silly Southern kinniggits!  I fart in you general direction!  Your mother was a hamster and you father smelled of elderberries.

:D
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

mrbisonm

Judging Challenge 5

I finally got around to continue the GRV II Challenges and we will continue with the judgement of Challenge 5, 6 and 7 in the next weeks. Make also sure to read the *speach* that I wrote in the General discussion thread, maybe giving an explanation to all this delay.
How this challenge was judged can be found in the Challenge 5 thread. Please read it so you can judge my Challenge 5 also.

This challenge wasn't any easier than the one before to judge, because we had to look at many different points and from different views. Thank You.

1. The checkpoints are as perfectly as what we asked for and no other than 4 points were added. They are well controlled and located, plus we like the customs signs added to the scene.
2. The orders given to your adversary were a little demanding, but well executed and thought of. 3 points were offered.
3. Filling the demands of the rebels was not an easy job, but well executed. We liked the immense quantity of details that were added to the area and couldn't resist in giving you another perfect score of 4 points for this part.
4. This is probably what made especially me *freak*. The details , effort and organisation of these army bases are just fantastic. We couldn't give you 5 pts for this, but I hope the max allowed of 4 points will somehow soothe your worries. Excellent, one of the best in this challenge)
5. The observationtower on top of the hill is an excellent added detail and the rails are located in a scenic area. The rails going by the little cliffs look fantastic. A well earned 4 points was given.
A Bonus point for being ontime.

You have earned yourself a total of 20 points, which is outstanding and almost a perfect score. Congratulations on a well done challenge. ;)

Lynn and Fred

Personally I would like to know what the rockmod was used in this challenge please, thanks.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

jmyers2043

Hey Fred. Thank you for the points.

QuoteI would like to know what the rockmod was used in this challenge please, thanks.

I used the Aubrac Rock Texture by Orange_O_  on all the flat city tiles. I used a different texture on the three mountain tiles.

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1954

mrbisonm

Quote from: jmyers2043 on March 20, 2010, 03:41:47 PM
Hey Fred. Thank you for the points.

I used the Aubrac Rock Texture by Orange_O_  on all the flat city tiles. I used a different texture on the three mountain tiles.

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1954

Thanks for the linkie Jim, appreciate it....and don't thank me for the points, you earned them. ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)