• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 6: Riverton Beach

Started by Splime, June 15, 2009, 08:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splime

As you can tell by the title, this challenge largely focuses on the beach area in Riverton (Tile M). Below is the region image after this challenge:

(Sadly, the effects of the water bug are clearly visible here, as much of that sand is actually underwater.)

Before we get to the beach, here's what the Grand River Crossing looks like after the checkpoints have been removed:

It's not exactly the way it was pre-separation, as the houses knocked down to put the gatehouse on the south side (left) were not rebuilt. Also, a subway now connects the two sides of the river, but this is unrelated to this challenge. The little circles are where the gatehouses used to be.

Now for the seaside town of Riverton:

(This covers the zoom 2 pic for the beach, hotel, and restaurant.)

Here's two pictures of different parts of Riverton Beach:

(North of the river)

(South of the river)
The beach is mostly made of sand imported from distant lands, as good sand is not naturally occurring in the region. Most of the palm trees are of the fake variety, but some real palms have been added to give the illusion of a tropical beach.

Then there's the center of town, where the Riverton Restaurant is located:

The Riverton Restaurant is well-known for its exotic foods brought by the immigrants that moved here to work on the beach, one of the largest public works projects Largonia has ever worked on.

Finally, the hotels for the governor:

The Deadwoods Hotel Complex is a set of four art deco hotels with different colored lights on the exterior. Many rooms offer a great seaside view, and those that do not still have a good view of the town and the whole region. There are more restaurants right nearby, though the Riverton Restaurant is known to be the best.

And that is my entry for challenge 6.

Pat

Splime wonderful update here and I love Deadwoods Hotels there especially at night time!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

soulchaser

lol....you took the same restaurant as I did!

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

MandelSoft

According to Fred, all players must judge all other players to earn points in this challenge (or otherwise you have no points at all). So here's my judgement for your challenge, Splime:

Beach - 4 points
You made a nice, sandy beach! It looks pretty exotic and I bet the Gouvernour would like to stay here for a little while. Only one downside is that the beach doesn't look that good under water, which is my reason why I don't want to use sandy beach LOTs when making one.

Restaurant - 3 points
Good location, nice BAT, but it doesn't really look like it's a restaurant where you can eat almost everything. to quote Fred:
Quote from: mrbisonm on June 07, 2009, 09:28:46 PM
Then when they get hungry they want to go to a restaurant, but hey, not McDo nor Kentucky nor any regular family restaurant, ohhhhh no, it has to be one of those special and luxurious ones, you know, that kind that you want to go there for every meal in your life, if you had the financial ability to do so. The Governor and his wife want to be stunt. Make it good looking and hire the best chefs in the region. Yeah, You're right, exactly that one you have in mind at this moment. Do it so
This restaurant looks more like a normal restaurant and not a very luxurious restaurant for the elite. Nevertheless, I'll give you 3 points, because beside that it's looks quite well.

Hotel - 3 points
Very good location. You can enjoy the view of the sea while resting in your hotel. But also here it doesn't look that luxurious.

Border crossings - 3 points
Not suberb, but not bad. It looks that there's no border at all, but the road where it was constructed on looks good. By the way, you where free to do whatever you want with the border crossings.

TOTAL - 13 POINTS

Well done!

Best,
Maarten

EDIT: Dang, missed that line! Thanks for the correction, Barby.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

BarbyW

mrtnrln: I don't think you should have posted these marks yet. See what mrb said in the challenge instructions:

QuoteWhen you're finished with your challenge you will wait for us (The Governor and his wife) to post the Instructions to judge everyone's challenge 6, and that after everyone has finished theirs.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

jmyers2043

Hello Splime

It looks like many a family is enjoying the expansive beaches and there are plenty of hotel rooms nearby.

The picture with the caption 'Riverton Center' is a super shot. I like the JBSimio commercial buildings clustered together and I suspect that any Sim would like to live in on the peaceful streets where you've place those single family residentials. You even have one of my buildings in the shot – which gets a bit thumbs up from me.     :thumbsup:    :D 
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

noparking

Looks really nice splime...

Been following the GRV II challenge at a distance.

Like the feeling of an immense beach ;D
What beaches are you using?

Splime

turtle

Hello Splime

Here's my judgement:

1. Bordercrossing: There is not really anything left, so I'm unsure how to judge it. Personally, I would have preferred a gatehouse. 2 points

2. Beach: Very nice beach. You could have hidden the edges better though. 4 points

3. Hotel: The hotels fit very well to your style and the town. I can't put a finger on it. 5 points

4. Restaurant: Again, excellent choice that fits with the style. maybe a garden for it would have been nice. 4 points

This gives a total of 15 points
My name is Thomas...

soulchaser

Hi Splime,
here's my opinion on your Ch. 6:

1. Bordercrossing: No checkpoints at all? It's ok for me, but not what was demanded! 2 Pts.
2. Beach: It looks like to many palms for the climate. If they were less numerous, I'd give you 4-5 points, but in addition to all the sand, that also seems out of place: 3 Pts.
3. Hotel: I love this exclusive looking hotel. 5 Pts.
4. Restaurant: The restaurant fits even better than in my Region. 5 Pts.

That's a total of 15 Points.

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

BarbyW

My points:
1. Border crossing - no border crossing  1pt
2. Beach -  a bit repetitive but the lots fit well into the sea. 4 pts
3. Hotel - love those hotels but they don't look very luxurious to me and I think there would be traffic noise in all rooms. 3 pts
4. Restaurant - nice restaurant but again doesn't look very luxurious 3 pts

Total points: 11
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

threestooges

Border crossing: Glad to see they've relaxed the crossings, but I think something was supposed to still be there. 2 points at least for showing the area and where things used to be.

Beach: Excellently done, and quite expansive: 5 points (and maybe a bonus if we're allowed to petition for those)

Restaurant: Looks great in its location in the town. It fits the surroundings, but I would have expected it to take advantage of the possible views more. 4 points.

Hotel(s): Nice use of them, and great proximity to the beach, but for the resort feeling I think we were expected to convey, the seem a bit tightly packed in and no noted/visible amenities. 4 points

15 points (plus a petition for a bonus point for the beach)

jmyers2043

Border crossing - 4 - I just now noticed that I've been giving all border crossings a 4. I mean, how can you screw up a border crossing  ()what()

Beach - 4 - A monster beach. 

Hotel - 4 - I really like your choice of hotels and the night shot makes the scene look like an exciting place to be and do some people watching. 

Restaurant - 4 - Looks like a destination spot. My mind's eye sees a diner theater going on inside.

Points = 16

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)