• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 6 - Resort Town

Started by jmyers2043, June 23, 2009, 07:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

Part 1 - Main Border Crossing

Quote1 Picture of any official border crossing between north and south 
rebuilt

Tile E - Bordertowne - HWY 276 as it crosses the Grand River. The fence on the southern island has been taken down and the military field site on the Northern island abandoned. The tanks have been recalled and the only thing that remains are the dirt trails where army trucks once traveled. Police man the check points on the islands. Southern militiamen have gone home to their families.

Part 2 - Beach

Quote3 pictures of the beach, 1 in view 2 to see the overview and location

QuoteIn the case where all three places are close together to be seen in one screenshot, then post only one picture

Tile L - Croftwater Commons (as it turns out  :D ) is a resort town. The beach, hotel, and restaurant are all within easy driving distance. Zoom 2. 

The sea is a good setting for condo's and palatial homes.   

Everyone Sim can enjoy the beach using public access.

Part 3 - Hotel

Quotethe two remaining in any view you wish.

Many couples find their relationships stuck in a rut after they've been together for a while. The Breakers Hotel and Spa is the perfect place to rekindle the fires of love. You know. That magical spot by the pool where you sipped wine beneath the stars and told her that you love her. Where you ran across the sand, laughed under the palm trees like wee children, and held her tight and - oh wait – that was your first summer romance and not your wife?

By the way - delicious piña colada's served all day at the Tiki Bar.

Part 4 - Restaurant

Quotetwo others as you wish in any view.

The other day Governor and Mrs. B took Mayor Jim and his wife to a restaurant called Pinchers Crab Shack. Don't let a name like "Shack" fool you. The place is big on taste and the cook is from France. 

The Governor made a reservation so we skipped past a long line of anxious patrons and sat right down to some food trays that had little sprigs of plants and pieces of fruit all cut up and twisted in funny ways.

First I tried some of what is called Pate Feuilletés, which is hard to pronounce, but it went down pretty easy. Then I moved on to a heaping helping of Crab Tartar. It looks under done at first appearance but boy was it good. 

Gov B said not to let the $10 menu items scare me. So with that encouragement I started out by trying some Escargot, Quiche Lorraine, Choucroute Garnie and Ratatouille. Talk about fancy! For desert I chose the Gateau Le Paris. And washed it all down with a vintage 1945  Cote de Montecito.

What can I say other than -  tout le monde avait un bon moment.

Part 5 - Region Veiw

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

BarbyW

I see you are practising for August, Jim.
Interesting update.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

TheTeaCat

Hi Jim

This is a great update :thumbsup:. Full of wonderful little details that kept me going back to look again.
Fabulous choice of bat and lotting of the hotel  &apls &apls.

And you've gone for the same items off the menu that I would have chosen.  :D :D
Glad the Governor was paying for you, It must have cost a pretty packet ;D

regards
Derry

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Pat

Jim you soo got my taste buds perked here with all that interesting sounding cuisine there for sure!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

zzsteven

Nice resort town. Really like the hotel and the lot. The beach looks great especially how the sand changes to grass. Never seen palm trees with little lawns on the beach before, at least not around here.  :)

A crab shack with a French chef.  :D

zz

turtle

Really nice update  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zzsteven on June 28, 2009, 11:51:26 AM
The beach looks great especially how the sand changes to grass. Never seen palm trees with little lawns on the beach before, at least not around here.  :)

I agree about the beach. Did you LE it? Anyways, it looks great!

Thomas
My name is Thomas...

jmyers2043

QuoteI agree about the beach. Did you LE it?

@ Turtle  Yes. I did 6 or 7 different beach lots. I recall they are 5 wide by 7 deep. There is one where the hotel brick walkway extends into the beach area, one that meets up with the brick walkway of the car park, and a few others that slope either left or right or end as naturally as I could manage. 

My inspiration was Myrtle Beach in South Carolina. There are a mixture of luxurious homes, condos, and hotels along the 'Grand Strand' as it's called. I've spent many a vacation there and recall how the hotels are close to the beach. Yet there is an environmentally protected zone of dunes and grasses between the hotel and the beach. That is what those islands of grass represent. I tried to bat some grass but it turned out to be an unexciting green blob. I hope the palms convey the same feeling.

The color palette of the hotel (salmon, purple, and dark blue) is from a photo of a Myrtle Beach hotel as well. I stayed at a place called The Breakers during one of my trips, hence the name.

Thanks for the comment. 

@ ZZ - the Crab Shack is a bat I did but never released. In fact I don't even use it in my own game. It is forutnate that the governor wanted a restaurant in this challenge. It gave me an opportunity to display my work. Although I had to make it a place where one wants to eat at every evening. Well, what better way than to have a French chef.  ;)  I may have gotten it right based on the link the governor provided e.g. the rustic log restaurant he designed. As I said to Turtle, Thanks for your comment.  

Cheers  - Jim Myers

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

turtle

Hello Jim

Here's my judgement:

1. Bordercrossing: I like the way you've organised the crossings. only thing missing is a small platform for the railroad. 4 points

2. Beach: Absolutely stunning beach you have there. 5 points

3. Hotel: Excellent hotel, and great work syncronizing the environment 5 points

4. Restaurant: Lobsters are great, but I'm not sure why people staying in fancy hotels would go out to eat in a shack. 3 points

This gives a total of 17 points
My name is Thomas...

soulchaser

Hi jmyers,
here's my opinion on your Ch. 6:

1. Bordercrossing: The checkpoint is a bit hard to see. The railcheckpoint is missing. If this Pic was more detailed and only spoting the roads, it might have been better. 3 Pts.
2. Beach: I love the green spots where the palms grow. So you might even lie on gras. Also palms seem to be right normal in that area. 5 Pts.
3. Hotel: The hotel seems to be the only one around, so it might be a bit small, otherwise great BAT. 4 Pts.
4. Restaurant: Two mali: Seems a bit out of place and much to small 3 Pts.

That's a total of 15 Points.

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

BarbyW

My points,

1. Border crossing - good border crossing  4 pts
2. Beach -  nice beach but I'm not sure about the grass patches in the sand 4 pts
3. Hotel - super hotel and grounds 5 pts
4. Restaurant - lovely restaurant and as a seafood fan I would love to eat there every day.  A bit far from the hotel and doesn't look very luxurious. 4 pts

Total points: 17
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

threestooges

Border crossing: great little details including the old paths. 5 points.

Beach: I agree about the grass patches, but they fit in. They seem well-groomed, like they were designed to give that "natural" feel. 5 points.

Hotel: great BAT, great grounds: 5 points

Restaurant: great menu (I'm hungry now), but it is a bit far from the hotel. I don't mind the looks as it's in a great location and what else would you expect such a restaurant to look like out there. 4 points

19 points.