• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 7 - Economy and Business

Started by jmyers2043, July 28, 2009, 08:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

Part 1 - Industry

Quote3 Pictures in view 2,4 and 5 of your best industry settings

Tile A - Kilburn - The 'Here's to you Pub' sits on the corner of Fukitol Road and First Street. This is where the factory workers gather after their day is done to talk shop, sports, and about the Governor.

Tile G - Irongate

Tile C - Goldborough

Part 2 - Commercial

Quote3 Pictures in view 2,4 and 5 of your best commercial settings.

Tile G - Irongate. This small community on HWY 25 supports local farms and a handful of CS$ businesses'.

Tile L - Croftwater Commons. This friendly resort town is the perfect location for CO$$ opportunities. Some German speaking Sims moved to town and built a row of homes reminiscent to their native Hamburg.

Tile M - Whimperthorpe. Largest city in GRVII has CO$$$ space for lease. I had almost given up on the Prepo Apilatalo building from ever growing. Then bingo! It grows in my city. Along the water front no less (see also the park picture). I had to make some one way streets as I was having some traffic problems.

Part 3 - Farming

Quote2 Pictures of big farming communities

Tile H - Burnepool
Both farm pictures are from Burnepool. This city is designed and made great in part by the The Stooge Brothers.

Part 4 - Natural Resources

Quote2 Pictures each of 2 different Ressources

Tile A - Kilburn. Wide shot of oil industry.

Tile A again - Oil wells closer view

Tile C - The first settlers to Goldsborough were prospectors searching for nuggets of gold. They found coal instead. A small community of mine workers is nestled between the mountains and timber forests. The drift mine and tipple are still active and supplies much of the coal required by the industrialized south.     

Tile A - Kilburn. Shaft mine. Birds eye view.

Part 5 - Central Park

QuoteFinally 1 Picture in view 2,3 or 4 of your "simmish central Park"

Tile M - Whimperthorpe's 'History Park' features statues of Napoleon, Lenin, Caesar Augustus, and Robert E Lee. 

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

dedgren

Jim- If you don't keep this going as an MD after Fred and Lynn wrap GRVII up, you are missing a bet.  I really am enjoying seeing your region come together.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

soulchaser

WOW, this is just amazing.

How much of this is plopped? Cause I never get anything grown, as I expect it to. The thing with CO/CS is, maybe, because I never have high customers.

I also have some serious traffic problems, as almost every crossing is turning red. OWS don't help enymore ;) I need a go for avenues and highways.

Everything (but the strange arrangement of heroes ;) ) on those pics is so realistic. Bravo!

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

meinhosen

Very nice pictures!  Is that Copper Corp I spy in the last picture?  That's one of my favorite "old" SC2k buildings converted to SC4.   :thumbsup:

I remember seeing you playing around with that coal tipple in another thread, and it looks like it turned out pretty good.
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

TheTeaCat

Wonderful Update Jim

Such close attention to details makes all the difference and you have that down to a tea :D

I really really like your rural shots and the park looks magnificent.

And you got Prepo's BAT to grow. &apls
I have yet to see that in any cities I build so its good to get to see someone has luck with it.
There's hope for me yet ;)

I second David's sentiment and do hope you keep this going as an MD. :thumbsup:

regards
Derry

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

jmyers2043

QuoteHow much of this is plopped?

Soulchaser

Yes. A couple of things. 

The small oil fields are something that I've been experimenting with as a farm. There are some soy bean farms a few miles from where I grew up in rural Michigan that have oil derricks in the middle of the fields.

The large oil fields are Plops with ID jobs. Making resources grow 'on queue' requires a lot of forethought and file shuffling. I was able to do that with the timber farms. It would be an undertaking at this point of the regions development to add additional resources and make them grow. May as well just plop and give them jobs so they have a function.

The Coal mines (as of today) are Plops with ID jobs. For my game they will function as freight rail. I'll give the end user options before they make their way to the DLEX.     

Otherwise - everything else grew as you see it. I think it is more entertaining. I am surprised occasionally and get a sense of satisfaction when things grow just 'right'.

QuoteIs that Copper Corp

Meinhosen

Yes. That is JaWoods brilliant bat. Do you have another favorite? A little encouragement and a couple of pictures .. well .. who knows.

@ Derry & David. Thank you. I hope your words get transmuted into some points    ;)    :D 

soulchaser

without plopping, you must have a lot of luck, growing thses lots so perfectly....I always have to demolish some of the buildings which don't fit and wait for the regrowing.
You're such a luminary.

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

jmyers2043

Hello Soulchaser

QuoteI always have to demolish some of the buildings which don't fit and wait for the regrowing

I think I understand your comment/question more now.

Take the Whimperthorpe river front development as an example. I originally had a long line of high density commercial property zoned. Prepo's building magically grew, as explained above. Icing on the cake when SimGoobers Waldorf Hotel grew as well as JBSimio's (name of lot escapes me) building. Other buildings grew in between and the original river front was all cluttered. The Prepo building could not be seen to its best advantage. Well, I've got this plaza lot which looks like downtown parking. So ... plop plop plop ... the buildings I don't want have been demolished in favor of downtown parking. That also opened the city up and is more pleasing to the eye.

I am most likely to make a building historical if I like where it grows and sits. Knowing that those left unhistorical can and will eventually upgrade to something else. I deal with building repetition by plopping the GasCooker Kingston Market reward or the Maxis Stock Market reward upon the buildings I don't want.

I am not likely to plop buildings to build a city up. Rather, I'll plop rewards or parking lots to knock an overly crowded looking city down.

Good luck with your entry.

metarvo

Good work, Jim!  :thumbsup:  You're right, those really are some big farms.  I like the way they've developed.  The oil fields are also nicely done.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

threestooges

The sublte transitions of your neighborhoods are great, the bar in the first pic was a good one, and I love that coal tipple. Very nice central park too. Very formal.

mrbisonm

Judging Challenge 7

Now that you have judged Challenge 6, you know how difficult judging is....;) Glad you understand now and thanks for judging. The judging of Challenge 6 is still open to everyone and will stay so for awhile to give everyone the chance to judge. Just remember, your judgements will only count as long as you have judged all Challenge 6's.
How this challenge (7) was judged can be found in the Challenge 7 thread. Please read it so you can judge my Challenge 7 also.
The pointage will follow in a short time and the judging of Challenge 8 will be after that. Then we will get a new Challenge to work on, while giving me the time to get the Challenge 9 judging done. I will have to do my own part of Challenge 8 first before I start judging yours.
Not everyone will get their judgements of Challenge 7 at the same time, so please have some patience so I can do them all, a matter of two or three days only.
Thanks.

1. If someone would ask me how I expect the industrial challenge to be, I would refer him to your challenge 7 without hesitation. 4 points and what else can I say than excellent work. That looks more real than the real thing!
2. Your commercial center isn't much less, but I would have preferred that you stayed with one town/ city instead of three different ones, but still, no less than 4 points were given. Excellent looking commercials.
3.  Something is little wrong with your resources, I yet need to see someone who planned the surrounding terrains so well that they look like real land besides oil, coal, mineral etc ressource harvest's area. There's always a little pollution that comes with this. Some dead trees, dirtier grounds or less cleaner lots would have been more appreciated. Still, your resossources are well chosen and look quite good and I added 3 points.
4. Well, from the master of farming himself what else could I expect than 4 points. I especially liked that every farm has a house/home residential with it, something I personally need to see because I very seldom saw a farmbuilding without the owner's home not far away from it. Also the irregularity and the trees play an important role to look realistic. Excellent job, Jim.
5. This is an excellent "Central Park" and no doubt that it is "central", which I was mostly expecting from this challenge. 4 points.

Excellent challenge, some work implicated in this and surely appreciated. 19 points plus the ontime Bonus point, makes this challenge worth 20 points. Congrats!

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)