• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 7

Started by threestooges, August 31, 2009, 12:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

The pictures shown here are laid out so as to take the reader from the sparse and rural to the thickly devloped fancy side of GRV.

So the Governor wanted to see mega farming eh? The south takes advantage of its great landmasses by using the highly labor efficient Central Pivot Irrigation system. Let the sprinklers spin, and watch the money come in.

Farming does have a place in the north too. But their farms are much smaller individually. Rather than aggregate their lands they ship to a central distributor for shipment to the rest of the region

Moving away from the farms the south discovered oil early on. Pumps and silos work to harvest this bounty. Major shipping facilities have yet to be built for it though.

In the north, with its wooded slopes, lumber and paper are two of the primary resources. As with the farming, a single major processing facility currently handles the milling and paper making needs (for now).

The south took on the load of sprawling industrial quarters and factories can be seen to sprawl far and wide from the south's original starting point (the main bridge crossing of the river).

Some firms though have chosen to mark their territory rather than blend into the industrial sprawl. Despite appearances to the contrary, Black's Ice company does not produce ice. As the white structure may indicate to those that have seen similar structures before, this is a dedicated aviation production center. Specualtion has been made as to the meaning behind Black's Ice. The popular (and most probable) explanation is that it's a not-so-secret cover for experimental Black Projects that are being worked on for the air force.

The south isn't alone when it comes to industry though. This third shot is of an area just south of the airport/air force base. Easy access to air and rail transport, this is a great area for any industrialist, though the complexes in the north are decidedly smaller in their sprawl.

Again witht he sprawl in the south, this lower density commercial district was the result of early seperatist demands. It's developed quite nicely too.

In the north, near the aforementioned airport, is a small commercial district for travellers and locals alike. It's more dense than its southern counterpart to cope with the relative lack of land.

Also from the north, one of the smaller farming town's downtown districts. In addition to the road, this town is linked to the rest of the north (and hopefully in the future parts of the south) by the railroad station just south of its major intersection.

Sharing the central island with dense residential and commercial structures is the region's Central Park. Taking a different approach than the park in New York bearing the same name, this Central Park weaves its way in between the buildings and roads, becoming a part of the city, and bringing the city to it. The main focus is the monument in the center of the island which was built to commemorate the reunification of the two halves of the region after the end of hostilities.

-Matt

TheTeaCat

OOh very nice indeed.

Everything looks really good especially the cattle auction beside the rail.
Great work on the industrial areas and The park is just superb.

Excellent update Matt - I really liked it.

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

soulchaser

All I could do is repeat TTC's words. great update.

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

jmyers2043

The two cattle auctions sitting side by side and how you've integrated them with the Deadwoods freight rail is very good. I was thinking about batting a cattle action and you've given me a great lotting idea  ;) 

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

threestooges

Excellent news Jim. I can't lot for beans and, as nice as the cattle auction itself is, I think a little variety would be nice, especially considering what I've seen you do with Ag lots. If you happen to need an extra tester... *wink wink* if not, I'll be waiting in line at the LEX.

Soulchaser, Derry, thanks. I just hope the mosaics count as "1 picture" since they technically one picture each.

Glad you all enjoyed.
-Matt

mrbisonm

Judging Challenge 7

Now that you have judged Challenge 6, you know how difficult judging is....;) Glad you understand now and thanks for judging. The judging of Challenge 6 is still open to everyone and will stay so for awhile to give everyone the chance to judge. Just remember, your judgements will only count as long as you have judged all Challenge 6's.
How this challenge (7) was judged can be found in the Challenge 7 thread. Please read it so you can judge my Challenge 7 also.
The pointage will follow in a short time and the judging of Challenge 8 will be after that. Then we will get a new Challenge to work on, while giving me the time to get the Challenge 9 judging done. I will have to do my own part of Challenge 8 first before I start judging yours.
Not everyone will get their judgements of Challenge 7 at the same time, so please have some patience so I can do them all, a matter of two or three days only.
Thanks.

1.  Good looking industrials and I liked the road-separation of the residentials and industrials. Good work and well chosen lots. 4 points.
2.  Again another commercial center too sparcly created, they are too far spred out, but 3 points were given.
3.  For the first time I see a well done oil resource surrounding terrain. Well done and just for that I gave you 4 points. Excellently observed that the neighboring terrain of oilrigs aren't always very green and lush looking. Super.
4.  Round farms is something we don't see to often this is quite well chosen to choose here. I really like the cattle auction, the arrangement and location with the railaccess and finally the grainsilos nearby. Looks like home to me. ;) 4 points, no less.
5.  Central Park not so central....Nice looking park, I still gave you 3 points for it.

Well done challenge and with 18 points total. No bonus point for the ontime demand. I enjoyed going through  this challenge.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)