• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

PIMX Official support thread

Started by wouanagaine, November 04, 2009, 12:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadwoods

Hi, I'm getting a ton of Windows error dialogs with the text "Couldn't add the image to the image list" and a huge scrolling list in the wxPython: stdout/stderr window. I'm not that fussed, at the moment, on the cause of the errors; I probably need to go delete my image db and restart.

However, it's frustrating having to click OK on hundreds of popup windows dialogs; one for each occurance of the message. Is there a way to a) force all stdout/stderr to a text file rather than a live window, and b) tell it to not display the error dialogs (or just tell me when it's loaded that there were errors and to go look at blah.log)?

The error dialogs are not adding any value as they only contain an "OK" button; they don't offer you the chance to cancel the load or program. This means you have no option other than 1) click every dialog, 2) leave hundreds of them on the desktop and hope you can figure out which generic icon is the actual tool when Alt+Tabbing through the  active processes, or 3) go into Task Manager and kill the process.

Sorry if I sound like I'm having a whinge, and this is a free tool developed for the community, but after 23+ years in IT things like this jump out at me. Surely the python implementation that's shipped with the tool has some configurable settings for error logging?

EDIT - whilst I'm at it, I went looking for some settings to control how much memory the tool is using during load. I can't see anywhere to set max memory usage, like in the java jvm settings. Are there any? My machine is paging like crazy when loading so I'd like to be able to stop that (without reducing the virt memory size).
David, aka deadwoods

bladeberkman

Hello,

I am having trouble starting this program. After downloading the program and update, the four .dll's, and checking the readme, I launch the program with the desired plugin subfolders and get this message while initializing:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 3454, in OnClose
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 3457, in ShowMain
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 2883, in __init__
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 3244, in LoadDatas
  File "SC4Data.pyo", line 1282, in addFolder
  File "SC4Data.pyo", line 1285, in addFile
  File "SC4DatTools.pyo", line 690, in __init__
  File "SC4DatTools.pyo", line 759, in ReadEntries
MemoryError

After that it freezes.

I am using Windows 7 and have an Intel HD Graphics Card.

Does anyone know what to do?

Thank you for your time!

-Blade

Lowkee33

Seems like you are trying to load every plugin you have.  PIMX should only be loaded with the files that you plan to use at that time.

bladeberkman

@ Lowkee33

Oh, I thought that I was reducing the number of plugins used by limiting the checked-off files at start-up. Would you know, generally, what a safe loading size is to avoid an initial crash? Is a gigabyte's worth too much? lol... I am not sure what PIMX can take while initializing.

Thank you for your advice!

-Blade

Lowkee33

Never used a gig myself.  I think the most I have ever used was about 500mb.  At that point, PIMX will still be using CPU after it has made it's way to the main screen.  I always wait until it is done with that, which usually takes about as long as it did to get to the main screen. 

FrankU

Is this also the place to give suggestions for additional features for a, if ever to be released, next version of Pim-X?

I have been fooling around with it for some weeks now and I came up with the following:

- Please make a selection window where you can type in (parts of) the name of a prop. It is now really difficult to find a certain prop.
- Make it possible to place the 2D and 3D view of a lot under each other. It would make it possible to use the wide screen displays more efficiently: lot views and selections screens for props and textures can be placed next to each other. Maybe 2D and 3D in separate windows, so that you can resize and place them wherever you want?
- Cycling of prop families (you know it is my hobby) would be very convenient.
- "Save as" button as an option for edited lots: if I want to make several variations on one lot it is neccessary to change to LE, which is not a problem, but it would be more complete to do it in Pim-X too.

cammo2003

Quote from: bladeberkman on January 31, 2011, 06:52:29 AM
@ Lowkee33

Oh, I thought that I was reducing the number of plugins used by limiting the checked-off files at start-up. Would you know, generally, what a safe loading size is to avoid an initial crash? Is a gigabyte's worth too much? lol... I am not sure what PIMX can take while initializing.

Thank you for your advice!

-Blade

I have 2.31 GB 4.3GiB worth and it runs fine for me, although I do have 4GB of memory.  :P

Lowkee33

The only performance issue I have had is the prop previews not showing up in LE, and it can take a long time to open lots attached to a building.  It can save a lot of time to use as little plugins as possible.

@FrankU:  You can copy/paste LotConfigProperties in PIMX, so it can be pretty quick to make a new growable and paste in the props/textures.

gazac48

Hi I have been using SC4PIM but today when I started it up it had a error occurred
the log is

File "SC4PIM.py", line 1, in ?
  File "SC4PIMApp.pyo", line 117, in ?
  File "SC4IconMakerDlg.pyo", line 7, in ?
  File "SC4Data.pyo", line 2, in ?
  File "S3DReader.pyo", line 2, in ?
  File "S3DViewer.pyo", line 3, in ?
  File "Numeric.pyo", line 91, in ?
  File "multiarray.pyo", line 12, in ?
  File "multiarray.pyo", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The parameter is incorrect.

the only thing different to my windows 7 is it had sp1 installed, & this started after that.
I have all the DLL in the SC4PIM
anyone can help?
Gaza

CasperVg

Yeah, I'm having exactly the same problem - same deal too, just installed Windows 7 SP1.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

ScottFTL

Same here.  PIMX will no longer launch since the installation of Windows 7 Service Pack 1.  I tried running it normally and as administrator, but I only receive a popup saying "Errors ocurred: See the logfile 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SC4PIM\SC4PIM.exe.log' for details."  Here are the details:

wouanagaine

After investigation with google, I can't find a solution yet
Some applications made with Numeric and python are now broken ( not only PIMX ) and given the version used in PIMX I doubt there are many chance there will be a fix of that library

I'll try to use a new version and see what it gives

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

gazac48

Quote from: wouanagaine on March 22, 2011, 07:57:51 AM
After investigation with google, I can't find a solution yet
Some applications made with Numeric and python are now broken ( not only PIMX ) and given the version used in PIMX I doubt there are many chance there will be a fix of that library

I'll try to use a new version and see what it gives

Thanks Wouanagaine
Gaza

deadwoods

Quote from: ScottFTL on March 02, 2011, 04:43:10 PM
Same here.  PIMX will no longer launch since the installation of Windows 7 Service Pack 1.  I tried running it normally and as administrator, but I only receive a popup saying "Errors ocurred: See the logfile 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SC4PIM\SC4PIM.exe.log' for details."  Here are the details:

Phew, I thought it was just me. I've just received a new machine running W7 Professional 64-bit, the new Core i7-2600, 12G memory, Radeon 5870 card (SC4 runs REALLY fast now). I was surprised PIM-X wouldn't load. I've checked I have all the right DLL's, made sure the graphics drivers are the latest, and installed DirectX. Still no luck.  :'(
David, aka deadwoods

Evillions8

What is this supposed to mean?  I've been trying to start the program up for several times, doesn't work.  :(

FrankU

I have a question.

Last week I changed some things in my pluginsfolder. I moved around some old and well known files (BSC dependencies, NAM, some other stuff I have been using for years), because I placed some of them in the C:\maxis\simcity4\pluginsfolder. Since then I have problem when I fire up Pim-x. I get messages of problems with prop families. These are all propfamilies by Maxis. They don't show up in the prop families list and when I load the Pim-X-loteditor these prop families are shown with a red cross. They are not there.
When I delete the propfamilynames.dat from my plugins list this problem disappears: all propfamilies show up, also in the Pim-x-loteditor. I just don't see their names, because that is exactly what the propfamilynames.dat is for.

I used this file for at least three years.

Does anyone have any kind of clue what might be going on? The file is not double. Is it forbidden to use it together with some kind of other file? Does it need to be loaded in a certain order???

I put the file in every reasonably acceptable folder or loading order, but everytime the problem shows up.
Please? Anyone?

travismking

Has anyone found a possible work-around for windows 7 SP1 on X64 systems? ?I cant uninstall SP1 because my computer came with it pre-installed, so AFAIK I have no way to use this otherwise excellent program

sim_vern

Quote from: deadwoods on April 09, 2011, 01:02:23 AM
Phew, I thought it was just me. I've just received a new machine running W7 Professional 64-bit, the new Core i7-2600, 12G memory, Radeon 5870 card (SC4 runs REALLY fast now). I was surprised PIM-X wouldn't load. I've checked I have all the right DLL's, made sure the graphics drivers are the latest, and installed DirectX. Still no luck.  :'(

Same problem here running W7U-64.  Will standby for update.

Lowkee33

Can you two even play SimCity?  I thought SimCity would fail the same way PIMX does.

@FrankU:  I've got no idea  &mmm.  A Prop Family is named with a Cohort whos Instance is 0x10000000 + the Building/Prop Family.  The Exemplar name of this Cohort is the name of the family.  (I may not be exactly correct, but it's something like that).

There shouldn't be any load order issues.  The first thing to try is to try to make your plugin folder the same as it was and see if that works (I would guess not).  Another thing may be that you misnamed Simcity_1.dat.  It needs to be just that for PIMX to read it (Although SC4 can play just fine with a different name, I recently learned).

Have you been using Reader 1.4?  If so, I would try going back to the LEX version.  Once the FamilyNames.Dat is opened in the older version, delete all of the Exemplar Types and save.  Then add Exemplar Type back in with the same values.  (Although these Cohorts may not have an Exemplar Type  &mmm ).

Maybe a picture of your error would help.

travismking

yea SC4 runs just fine, better then with my old one ;)