• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GRV -II Challenge No 9

Started by mrbisonm, November 18, 2009, 09:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

CHALLENGE 9

we finally made, challenge 9 is ready.

It was late at night during the Governor was brushing his teeth and thought about the sim's complaints that there's not much done about the basic ecological conservation of the region. Early the next morning, he called upo his mayors, like always when he has something important to say, and proposed some new ideas for the well-being of our so much beloved Sims.
* Mayors* ..he said..*It is that time of our ruling to think of the wellbeing of our simlish citizens. They want it GREEN. So let's give them green. We will all find the best way to incorporate a National Park in our region, plus one citypark in our biggest city/town and a smaller park in our smallest town/village. Everyone should be satified with this "greenery" until they turn blue and purple, got that?....Now let's go to work and "green out" the region.*

In this Challenge, number 9, we will supply the region with 3 different sized parks. The first will be a Natural National Park to conserve wild and raw nature as it's best, something like a Wildlife reserve park (like Yellowstone or Yosemite in the USA) The park has no limit in its size and you can build it wherever you like in the region. However it has to be the size the region can handle, meaning not too small for higher populated regions and not too big for lesser populated regions. (The more people in the region, the bigger the park...just too make it a little more difficult for those who became "building fanatics" in the last months) Balance it out. It can spread out over several citytiles or parts of them. It can be totally or partially on a shoreline, in the mountains, on the flatlands, swamps, riverbanks, desert, a lake or whatever you can find worthwhile in the region or even have a little part of everything as long as it is all attached in one piece.(only to be interupted by either a river or rail/ road/ street.
As an excellent Mayor you should be able to see , think of and decide how and where the parklimits should be, choose wisely, because it is here we will give the most important points. Decide what should be kept in a natural state. Take your time. Do NOT demolish any major streets/roads/Blvd's or rails, nor anyresidentials/ commercials/ industrials or any other areas to make room for the National park, choose whatever you have available only. No displacing of rails, roads/streets and no excessive terraforming to alter the regional look.

This National Park needs a Name, which should fit with your region.
There also has to be easy access for many visitors with a Welcome Office, Main-entrance, Parking, Emergency units, Restaurants and other accomodies like Hotels and Motels, stores etc. These have to be not right in the middle of that Park, but closer to the edges, right on the edge or just outside the park.
We also want a scenic road for cars and busses to pass through, with outlooks, and rest-areas etc on its winding way through the Park. Make sure that all most interesting places can be easily reached by this road/street (no matter what texture you use).
Rails that were already in the planned park area before are allowed to stay where they are. They will be incorporated into the park, so can be roads and streets that already existed before. Do NOT build any new ones. (beside the scenic roas/street)
You can use whatever BAT or LOT you like for any of the three parks. NO limits and no rules, but remember make it realistic and don't exagerate please.
We want to see beautiful natural locations with views that will stunn us.

One more thing that you should consider before you start planning and building. The Governor has plans to build a direct access to a Highway from that Park in the future, so make sure how to plan the park, because once shown, you cannot modify it.....just a hint. ;) Caution: DO NOT BUILD!!! anything that looks like a begining of a highway, remember, no highways or parts of it are not yet allowed.

Then, as if this above wasn't enough, we would like to see a citypark in your biggest City/Town. You decide where, how and what size. Think green, as the Governor said and make it accessible for everyone at any time and pleasurable. You may demolish buildings and redirect streets/roads and rails.

Then....again.... we want a smaller park in your smallest town/village. Again you decide how where and what.

To show this time in your 9th Update:

1. A National Reserve or Wildlife/Fauna Park with welcome station, accomodies, Utilities, road right through the park, parking and offical name, all things which a park usually needs. We will need several pictures of it:

a. 1 Regionshot with the parklimits outlined and showing the whole region in satelite view.

b. 2 pictures of any view of the most important natural attractions of that park, not considering the stations, hotels etc.

c. 1 picture of the welcome station, Main park-entrance (including the parking) in any view.

d. 3 to 5 pictures of the accomodations in any view.

e. 1 Picture of a higher view (1,2 or 3) to see the most part (75%+) of the scenic road.

f. 1 picture close up of the most natural and untouched area with some wildlife in view 5 only.

2. The Citypark has to be mostly "Green" also, a place to relax, play and sleep on the grass (sunbathing) and hear the birds and leaves sing. The size has to be more or less according to the size of the city/town, it doesn't have to be x-large to look good and accomodate the Sims. We want two pictures of it, 1 in the view that we can see where exactly in the city/town it was built (view 2 to 3) and 1 in view 4 or 5 for further details. A combination of several parklots available could be interesting.

3. A smaller relaxational park in your smallest municipality must show us 1 picture in view 3 to 5.

4. You can add ( but not obliged to) two (2) more pictures of whatever you would like us to see in your Natural, City or village Park in any view. Your choices, please show these on the bottom of your update mentioning that these are the X-tra images.

5. And finally, at last, a small explanation and comment why the area was chosen for the Natural Park and what it can offer to become a major a tourist attraction one day.

This will be the one and only Challenge where you can earn yourself up to 3 Bonus points for exceptional planning and building. Only first-class Mayors will receive them.

Now I can already hear it.....geeeeeez, that is quite a BIG contract the Govenors give us again!!!...... Yes, I agree with you, but for now, there's no time limit and consider it as two challenges in one, because two different sets of points will be given in this challenge. If you make evrything perfect (which I personnally don't really believe ;) ), you could earn up to 12 points in this challenge, plus 3 Bonus pts. (Total of 15 pts) Sounds good! Can you handle that much without the stress of a time limit? Well...we hope that you can finish it before, during or just after the holiday season though. We both wish you good luck.

Lynn will upload the points for Challenge 5, 6A and 7 within the next two weeks, plus the instructions for you all how to judge the Challenge 6 of every other Player. I will not have the time to do much in the next few weeks, real life is stressing and occupying me so much as it hasn't done it since 20 years. No recession for me....yet. There is still a lot of people that have a lot of money to spend out there, believe me.

Have lots of Fun, which is most important, and we will see what, when, where and why to do when. Makes sense? ;) Good luck.

We're open for questions now....please stand in line and wear green clothes. :)

Lynn and Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

tooheys

Hi Fred

Understand the national park part. As for the large and small city parks, are we allowed to demolish for that. And in my larger city, have already made a large central park for a previous challenge. Are we allowed to use this again or remodel it?

Dave

mrbisonm

Quote from: tooheys on November 18, 2009, 11:04:28 PM
Hi Fred

Understand the national park part. As for the large and small city parks, are we allowed to demolish for that. And in my larger city, have already made a large central park for a previous challenge. Are we allowed to use this again or remodel it?

Dave

Dave,
Yes, you can demolish some parts of your city to place the park, and no you cannot use what you have already showed in a picture in any of your threads of GRV II. you may heavily modify it though. ;)

Fred

TheTeaCat

Quote from: mrbisonm on November 18, 2009, 09:36:52 PM
Do NOT demolish any residential/ commercial/ industrial or any other areas to make room for the park, choose whatever you have available only. No displacing of rails, roads/streets and no excessive terraforming to alter the regional look.

Quote from: mrbisonm on November 19, 2009, 06:56:54 AM
Dave,
Yes, you can demolish some parts of your city to place the park, and no you cannot use what you have already showed in a picture in any of your threads of GRV II. you may heavily modify it though. ;)

Fred

I'm sorry but I'm a little confused here.  ()what()

First you say Do Not Demolish to make room for the park, then you say to Dave that yes you can demolish to place the park.

So my question is which? yes we can or no we cannot demolish areas to make room.

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

tooheys

Hi Derry

The no demolish rule relates to the national park. It was a bit unclear whether this applied to the other smaller city parks therefore my question and Fred's response. You can knock down a building or two for the smaller ones.

Dave

TheTeaCat

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

mrbisonm

Derry,
Good point mentioning it. Sorry that it was  a little unclear. I made it a little clearer by changing the text. Like Dave so well said, it was meant for the National Park only.

Cityparks, both of them, need some demolition, no matter what, unless you know how to toss the buildings to one side to make room for a park in between, so they are allowed to a certain amount of demolishing and by modifying the transportation needs. If you greatly exagerate to create a park that is somehow way too big for your City/town, then we will not be giving any points for it, no matter how well it is done.

We also asked you to think first and then act as a Mayor and to choose the best location for your parks available, all three of them, higher points will depend on the location also.

Fred

soulchaser

HI Fred.

When you're talking of the National Park, you're obviously not speaking of European (esp. German) ones, as our definition of national park is a bit less touristical. We would never build any streets or roads. so are trails ok? getting almost everywhere? and does there have to be some entrance and restaurants?

When I read your descriptions on the challenge, Yesllowstone comes to my mind, but I woud never think of the bavarian woods (???; bayerischer Wald).

So what do you think on this?

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mrbisonm

soulchaser,

Well, I didn't think about folks from other countries, completely forgot that in Germany and other parts on this earth have different ....kinds....of Parks. Here is what you can do. Build a German Natural Park (Naturschutzbebiet glaub ich heisst das in Deutsch) as you can find in the Bavarian are or elsewhere.....Schwarzwald Naturschutzgebiet, Hohes Venn, Ludbecker Heide etc.
But what you need to is to provide an official entrance somehow, nearby Restaurant/s and other accomodies for tourists (if you have to build a small village with these near the Park do it). If you don't want to build a road through your Park, yes you can exchange it with a trail or trails as long as they reach the most important parts of that park.
I have been away too long from German forests and Parks, they probably changed since 40 years, but I usually go to Germany once or twice a year, so maybe next spring I will visit one of these parks again, maybe the Black Forest and have a real Schwarzwaldertorte after the walk ;)

Hope that helped.

Fred

soulchaser

thanks fred,

so I will build a (here uncommon) touristcenter. No problem. Just wanted to know. :thumbsup:

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mrbisonm

Quote from: soulchaser on November 20, 2009, 05:34:18 AM
thanks fred,

so I will build a (here uncommon) touristcenter. No problem. Just wanted to know. :thumbsup:

Well, it's not so unknown in Germany to have a village or little town near a park (Naturschutzgebiet) with a Resto or Motel etc nearby. I couldn't give you any locations right now, but I remember having seen them a few times. We don't really need to see a Tourist Center like we see in Aspen/Colorado or Las Vegas/near the Grand canyon, which is btw a park also, but a  natural place (park) always has some touristic accomodation nearby, where ever it is situated, unless it is a small unsignificient reserve. I have traveled the world and I love Parks and I have seen many of them everywhere and they almost all have it.
I don't know exactly where in Germany you're from, but there must be a place like this, without giving it the name of a "Tourist Center". Just build something without being a big Tourist Center if you think it could be perfect for your region, originality is very important in this challenge, so we give good points for it. ;)

Fred