• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 9 - Parklands Clean for Green

Started by BarbyW, January 18, 2010, 01:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbyW

The leaders of the communes in Bordertown met once again iin the mayor's chambers.
"The Governor has a new bee in his bonnet about environmental issues and ecology but it suits our purpose." Mayor Barby said. "Do you remember the flag planted on Peak a'Boo? Well the Governor wants a new regional park and we wanted to preserve that area so we shall make our park to include the Peak and its slopes. That way we can control any future climbing or walking in the area and we should have no further invasions by foreigners. Here is the proposed area."

A satellite image of the area was projected onto the screen.

"As yet that area is undeveloped but there is an access road and rail line across the lower edge of the area limits. We must develop a tourist area there with camp grounds and other accommodation and have a strict policy of cars only on the road. I am appointing Jude Ischell as commune leader of Lowtown Upper as he is an environmentalist and has legal training. Now the rest of you need to look to your parks situation too. I noticed that Hightown Central and Lowtown Hills have no public parks. You need to find space and make one and I need to see what you have done next time we meet."

Jude started work straight away by having a station built and also a visitor centre. There were some strange erratics lying around so one was used to make a Welcome Arch for the start of the park. These erratics are only found in this spot in the whole of the region and it is a complete mystery as to how they arrived here.

Beyond the arch and into the park a scenic road was laid to provide access for cars. The road is winding and takes visitors to the top of the falls that cascade down into a deep sink hole at the base of the mountain. In winter snow can cover much of the road so visitors are not encouraged to drive too far up or to attempt to cross the pass to the other side of the falls.

Despite the snow the falls do not freeze and continue to fall through the winter.

The falls and the mountain provide a wonderful backdrop to the small town that has grown up to serve the tourists.

There are several campgrounds available with space for tents and also lodges to rent. The lodges are well appointed and appeal to the nature lovers who still want some luxury after a long day walking or climbing.

The park also provides cabins with only foot access for those who desire a little more peace and quiet. Visitors who stay in these cabins are ferried to them by a ranger service.

Along the road close to the falls are small stopping points with seating overlooking the falls and also public toilets and picnic places so providing a varied accommodation for day visitors.

The bravest visitors cross the swing bridge over the falls. The feat of engineering was built by the CSX Group.

Despite all the activity in the area there is still plenty of wildlife. The deer are shy, elusive creatures but I managed to capture a couple on camera.

At the next meeting of the leaders, Jude was congratulated on his management of the regional park scheme. He explained that there would be no further development allowed to the north of the tarmac road although they had decided not to fence it off for the time being.

Mayor Barby turned to Penny Farthing and Archie Tect: "Have you done anything about the parks I asked for?" she said.

"Yes", they both chorused. "I'll go first," said Penny, "as I have the biggest commune to administer. It wasn't easy fitting a park into Hightown Central with all the development but we found a spot between the old plaza and the university that was ideal."

"As you can see there are lots of trees and grass but also paths that link the plaza to the park and also to the main road. There are plans to build a footbridge over the road between the university and the park but that is still under consideration by the university faculty. They feel that too easy access would be detrimental to the students and their studies."

Archie stood next. "In Lowtown Hills we are surrounded by beautiful countryside but had no central park. Whilst seeking a suitable place we discovered an old well that had been overgrown. The well and the surrounding area were cleaned up and paths laid to make a charming small recreational facility for the village."

Mayor Barby was very pleased with all that had happened and hoped that her report to the Governor would be well received. The small town of Lowtown Hills that had grown up showed that already the tourists were arriving and staying not only in the park accommodation but also in the guest houses that had sprung up in the town itself. As you can see from the images below the town has grown but has been carefully planned so that there is minimal impact on the environment. At some time in the future it may be possible to improve the dirt roads in the park itself and provide a tourist coach service for scenic drives.

Extra Images:

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

tooheys

Nice Barby  :thumbsup: The national park looks great and I like the use of the CSX bridge. A fave of mine, although limited in it's use. No it won't be in my next challenge  $%Grinno$%. And don't worry, I'll have any entry by the end of the week. Don't want you to get too lonely  ;)

soulchaser

So I counted 4 who still are in. I'm recently taking my pics, but surely, I can't compete with all this beauty.
Maybe I also have some other feeling of "small" parks.... ;) but you'll see.

Great Pics. I especially love your well.

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

TheTeaCat

Oh Very nice indeed. &apls &apls

The swing bridge is perfectly located and the only way you get me going over it is if you had a cuppa
waiting for me at the other end. Otherwise I hike all the way around the falls :D

As for the smaller parks in the towns - superb.
Very innovative how you used the well :thumbsup:

Gonna be hard to match this level of play ;D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

BarbyW

Well I do hope there are some more entries. ::)
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

doctor25

clearlypowa

Very nice parkland, and i like the big mediteraneen place in your city  &apls

Quote from: BarbyW on January 20, 2010, 02:02:36 PM
Well I do hope there are some more entries. ::)

It seems that u are the last and only one who still play to GRV. The last post is from Bison in 12 sept 09   :D

jmyers2043

Hey Barby - I like the small park and the wishing well. Great idea... and ... wow - look at all those tall buildings in the southern half of the region. Good Luck with this challenge  :thumbsup: 

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

CrossSide

When I saw this challenge and especially this great map I decided to play it also. Funny to see how youre region is totally different then mine, but in some ways feels the same! I like it! KUTGW  &apls